Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 8 of 49 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-25, 01:33

Update for the evening:

Mushroom Mountain has been surrounded by a high wall to keep the mobs, and unwitting humans out from ground level. The only way in, other than breaking down the wall is from above via the skywalk or tunneling beneath the wall. In the process of defining ground level I discovered that the river Styx is severely weakening the North East corner. There is barely a clod of dirt between the surface and utter doom...

My plan: relocate the river Styx. An affront to the gods, sure, but do I care? No.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-25, 01:36

I forgot to ask earlier, what the heck is that big blue column?

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-25, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I forgot to ask earlier, what the heck is that big blue column?
A water phallus -- it's a water fall I designed from the top of the map...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-25, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Someone should make an "AppleNova" sign in the style of the "Hollywood" sign up on a hill somewhere....
That was my next project! I was thinking I'd use the hills opposite Bridgeport across the water - next to Mushroom Mountain. I'm going to need lots and lots of wool...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-25, 03:14

I am finally working on connecting to the Skyway from my humble abode, but I am in sore need of coal after losing so much from falling down my mining shaft.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-25, 10:37

Mobs check in, they dont check out

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-25, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I am finally working on connecting to the Skyway from my humble abode, but I am in sore need of coal after losing so much from falling down my mining shaft.
Yes, this has happened to me twice, with the coal. Furthermore it takes forever to get back out to our areas from the respawn area.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-25, 13:47

Yeah, you guys need skyway access.

TP's trap is awesome. Does it collect string, feathers and gunpowder? Or does the lava kill the drops too?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-25, 14:49

I don't even know what happened as to how I fell last time. I went to climb down, and it never did the whole slow descent thing. Didn't let me move back towards the ladder, either. I just fell. Lost about 160 coal.

Edit: Does anyone have a good source of lava? I need a lot.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-25, 15:01

It collects some drops, but does seem to destroy a good amount of them. I think I'm going to convert it into a field and relocate the trap somewhere more remote. If anybody finds a mob spawner, let me know.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 15:03

Breaking news bulletin! This just in!

Mushroom Mountain is now Mushroom Crater following two planning TNT ignitions and one massive accidental TNT ignition.

I guess we'll need to update our skyway signage.

PS. The disaster wasn't my fault this time!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Edit: Does anyone have a good source of lava? I need a lot.
Like diamond, lava is a rare commodity since it's usually near bedrock and you can't create more of it (unlike water and cobble). Best chance to find "natural" lava springs is to dig down to bedrock, come up about 5-10 blocks, and dig outward.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Hint: Or sign on when Brad's on. Like now, for example!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-25, 15:09

A better trap to collect drops would use just water; sweep mobs into a vertical tube filled with flowing water, with a one-block-high opening at the very bottom (so the mobs can't get out, but drops can). When the mob eventually drowns, the drop flows with the water through the opening to a collection point outside the tube.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 15:36

Yep. Here's a side cutaway view of how such a trap might look, with water flowing right to left.

You must use glass, of course, so you can watch them drown.

edit: This size wouldn't work for spiders, though, but you could modify to fit.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-25, 16:05

I found some lava down the mineshaft from my house. I had no way to collect it at the time. You're welcome to it.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-25, 16:05

oh man, that explosion killed my minecraft... re logging on now.

Did I crash the server?

Server still alive... Epic crater where mushroom mountain once stood.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2010-12-25 at 16:26.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 17:14

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-25, 17:27

Where did that much TNT come from? I smell shenanigans.

I have multiple lava springs at the bottom of my Castle Bryson mine which you're welcome to tax.

There's also a mob spawner down there (zombies) in a dungeon I walled up with glass.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-25, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Where did that much TNT come from? I smell shenanigans.

I have multiple lava springs at the bottom of my Castle Bryson mine which you're welcome to tax.

There's also a mob spawner down there (zombies) in a dungeon I walled up with glass.
That's not the best part its six-to-eight deep in places in that picture

one thing we learned is that you shouldn't expect to witness an explosion of this size. It is simply too taxing on the client to show the event. Also, it is taxing on the server as well -- 709 was booted when the explosion went off so its best to do these things when the server is underused at night.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-25, 17:53

Brad, I accidentally lost your pumpkin-lantern -- I drowned while looking at it and used it to pursue my lost belongings -- bad idea.

Sorry -- if i find a pumpkin, I will make a replacement.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-25, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Brad, I accidentally lost your pumpkin-lantern -- I drowned while looking at it and used it to pursue my lost belongings -- bad idea.

Sorry -- if i find a pumpkin, I will make a replacement.
Without context this post is HILARIOUS.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Without context this post is HILARIOUS.
Who are you kidding? Even with context that post is HILARIOUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
All of those points of light are from my journey for clay. The rightmost one is where I held up for a night before turning back towards Bridgeport.
Aha… in that case, tori's house must be right about here, bottom left:

It's a long strip of glass, but you can only see the very end behind the trees.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-25, 20:32

Uh oh, look what I have.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 20:48

Quote:
Uh oh, look what I have.

Hmm... I think I saw your IP in the log. How's your internet connection? I don't think I've seen this with anyone else. Also, if you hit System Preferences: Date & Time, do you have enabled "Set date and time automatically"?

Quote:
2010-12-25 20:36:35 [INFO] Disconnecting /xx.xx.xx.xx:65500: Took too long to log in
2010-12-25 20:43:38 [INFO] Disconnecting /xx.xx.xx.xx:65528: Took too long to log in

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-25, 22:46

Brad, how are you taking these images? I'd like to get something running on my server, too.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-25, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Aha… in that case, tori's house must be right about here, bottom left:

It's a long strip of glass, but you can only see the very end behind the trees.
I think that's right.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-25, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Brad, how are you taking these images? I'd like to get something running on my server, too.
Nevermind. I thougth you'd mentioned the program earlier. Now I need to figure out how to use it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-25, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmm... I think I saw your IP in the log. How's your internet connection? I don't think I've seen this with anyone else. Also, if you hit System Preferences: Date & Time, do you have enabled "Set date and time automatically"?
Hey, yes I have been trying to get in (and yes to Q about time prefs) but I have to tell you that I suspect this SIX YEAR OLD POWERBOOK is providing a truly rubbish experience so far. Trying to log in results in immediate error.

I went to a test world and met flying sheep. Is this a common occurrence? What's next, flying sharks?

Bonn89

2010-12-25, 23:22

Quote:
What's next, flying sharks?
Totally submitting a feature request to Notch.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 23:53

Quote:
Hey, yes I have been trying to get in (and yes to Q about time prefs) but I have to tell you that I suspect this SIX YEAR OLD POWERBOOK is providing a truly rubbish experience so far. Trying to log in results in immediate error.
Hmm. That might be it. I think my three-year-old MacBook Pro is probably on the trailing edge of useful compatibility with this game. Can't imagine a six-year-old PPC Mac trying it.

Quote:
I went to a test world and met flying sheep. Is this a common occurrence?
It was probably "falling" because the system wasn't fast enough to load in the map chunk. Not a good sign of things to come.