Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Converting Hi8 to Computer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Converting Hi8 to Computer
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2004-06-17, 13:56

I need to convert a Hi8 tape to my computer and was wondering how I can go about doing this. This is a one time thing so I dont want to go buy anything. I heard something about using the camcorder and a vcr. Can someone help my out here? Btw, if u could tell me everything, ins and outs from cam to vcr, etc. Cheers!
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-17, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'Ron
I need to convert a Hi8 tape to my computer and was wondering how I can go about doing this. This is a one time thing so I dont want to go buy anything. I heard something about using the camcorder and a vcr. Can someone help my out here? Btw, if u could tell me everything, ins and outs from cam to vcr, etc. Cheers!
If your camcorder has AV outputs you can buy an AV/FireWire bridge like this. That Pinnacle product has seemed to replace the old Dazzle DV bridge. You might be able to find the older Dazzle bridge cheaper.

There are two other ways you could go. Sony made a line of Digital 8 camcorders that could use old Hi 8 tapes. It would convert them to digital and allow FireWire output to the computer. I think Sony discontinued that line, but again you might be able to find one. Finally you can buy a digital camcorder, record the old tapes to Mini DV and then import. Sony Mini DV camcorders act as a DV bridge and allow you to go direct from old Hi 8 to iMovie like the Pinnacle bridge.

Hope that helps.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!