AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Air (2020)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Air (2020)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 18:06

I’ve been saying/asking that for a while. They just went nuts on the tower.

Sure, provide the expensive, overkill tower. But what happened to that $2,000-$3,500 segment they always swam in and provided for.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-18, 19:24

That segment got a lot, lot smaller over the past 20 years, especially if you filter out gamers, who don’t overlap with Mac users.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-19, 09:31

Only because Apple pushed us to the MBP as our "desktop". I mean, that is what I'm doing, but I had to buy a dock, monitors, dongles for my dongles...

I would have easily bought a $3000 desktop if it could do what a $3000 PC desktop could do but running macOS. I'm really tired of fighting Hackintosh bugs/issues too. I have one still running as a headless server right now but that is it.

I'm really hoping they have an Air that is perfect for my kids as they get to where they need a laptop. Right now all my kids operate off of the iPads they bought with their own hard earned cash. You know, they take great care of them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-26, 10:32

Pardon the bump, but no need to create a new thread for the following:

Can current M1-based MacBook Airs do the external display thing (mirroring and extended desktop)? Did I read somewhere that wasn't a thing supported in the M1, or did I misread (or dream) this?

My mom is looking to get a new Mac before the end of 2021. She currently has a 2010-ish i3 iMac that she only uses for greeting cards, some Quicken, etc. Her "daily driver" is her beloved 2014(?) MacBook Air which, as you might imagine, is showing its age. She's already got an Apple keyboard and a mouse for the iMac. But she uses her Air every single day...way, way more than she ever sits at the iMac in the other room. She uses the Air on the couch, front porch, in her bed, takes it with her on any travels, etc. That's really her Mac, 95% of the time. But I know she likes a larger (20"+) screen to do other things on (but it doesn't need to have an entire Mac attached at this point).

She does not need two Macs (I don't know/remember how she ended up with these two; I know I didn't recommend/push for that, that's not my bag at all).

What I'd like to see her do, instead, is try to sell both (well, I would) and then just get a nice refurb M1 Air (with 16/256, double her current 8/128 RAM/storage) and then get a cheap, larger display to keep where the iMac currently sits. On those occasions she wants a larger screen to do her cards or that sort of stuff on, she can just carry the Air to that room and hook it to the display as needed. But no longer trying to maintain two music libraries, photo libraries, etc. It's just silly. Just one good, modern MacBook Air with everything on it (greeting card apps, quicken, etc.) and one music/photo library, etc. that she uses either as a laptop (most of the time) and, as needed, like a little standalone CPU to connect/drive a larger external display, keyboard and mouse.

But all that hinges on being able to occasionally connect the M1 Air to an external display, maybe 1-2 times a week. That is doable, right?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-26, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Pardon the bump, but no need to create a new thread for the following:

Can current M1-based MacBook Airs do the external display thing (mirroring and extended desktop)?
Yes, but limited to one external display (in addition to the internal), whereas previous Intel Airs could do more than that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-26, 11:52

Ah, okay. That's probably where I got confused/misread something.

Okay, great. She'd only be connecting it to a single external ~22" display.

That's good. We have a plan now. I'll let her know today when I see her.

Those refurb M1 Airs with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD can be had at a great price, when they're available. I've seen them often over the summer.