User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 92 of 103 First Previous 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-17, 17:48

Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck, Pattinson, over the course of 32 years. Hell, I might even be forgetting someone?

Plus the TV and animated stuff (Gotham, the Bruce Timm animated stuff, the various other shows and movies springing from that, the animated adaptations of Year One and The Dark Knight Returns), the Lego movies, the Arkham video games, etc.

I'm starting to think that every damn thing that could possibly be said about Batman has been done so at this point.

It's increasingly tough to give a rip, and DC/WB are really asking a lot.

At least this movie is doing everyone an enormous favor and, thankfully, skipping the origin story (although you know damn well there will be a dream/flashback to that night outside the theater - the gunshots, the slo-mo pearls falling, etc. - because that's required by law for every Batman movie) and is supposed to be a younger, "year two" take on the character, fresh on the job of being a vigilante dressed like an emo rodent.

And if this latest go-around winds up shitting the bed, be patient...another director/actor will return in 5-7 years with a rebooted, reimagined take on things.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-17 at 18:08.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-17, 18:42

If DC/WB had any guts they'd go the total opposite direction: throw back to Adam West and just make it fun. Throw out the dark-n-gritty thing entirely.

Instead they just keep churning out the same thing every few years knowing they'll at least break-even. Pathetic.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-17, 18:45

Yup, sadly fun is dead, everything must be dark.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-17, 19:03

I rebelled against that Batman from my teens onward. Now I know that it's the BEST Batman!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 08:09

I'm so tired of the dark comic remakes. How about the Adam West style. Not necessarily with the "Pow Bang Boom" but levity like when joker, played by Jack Nicholson, pointing a gun as Batman, played by Michael Keaton, that pops out the sign that says BANG. Tim Burton wasn't known for light shows/movies but at least there was some lighthearted moments like that.

Marvel mastered this with their films adding lots of comic relief even in the darkest moments.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 08:17

DC did this with Wonder Woman and Aqua-Man. And that Flash was allegedly funny in that Justice League movie.

They swear up and down they’re not going to, but look how grim that recent Joker movie was and this upcoming Batman. I have to believe Pattinson and Phoenix are on a collision course to co-star in the most dark, grim and joyless Batman/Joker movie in the history of the solar system.

People getting stabbed in the eye, tortured in chairs, bones broken, ears bitten off, etc. And that’s just from Batman. No telling what Joker will be doing.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much had it with comic book/superhero fare in general…absolute overload, this past decade or so. But I’m really over the whole Se7en-esque take on things.

The world can be dark and grim as it is, all on its own. I don’t need extra doses of it in my so-called entertainment, at every turn. I’m different now than I was 1-2 decades ago. I get no joy or thrill from “dark”.

This trailer is something I would’ve loved at 30-35, I’m sure. At 52 it makes me want to not see the movie at all. It looks like exactly the type of thing i wouldn’t want to sit through anymore.

It looks like it’s trying too hard to be a certain way. It just seems like a ginned-up fan film from a bunch of emo teens who steal their parents’ prescription pills

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-18 at 08:32.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 08:31

Yeah, I'm pretty much there with you. I'm just pretty much over it. I still watch some things, but I'm really limiting what I watch.

Dune is about to release and it is supposed to be awesome... but it looks really dark too. At least it is a different storyline that is being rebooted.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 08:36

I saw the original Dune movie with my dad in the theater. He’d read the book and I went just because I heard Sting was in it. He didn’t like it, and I’ve never been so confused/bored in my life.

Not a big sci-fi* fan as it is, so I’ve got zero interest in this new one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 09:39

New Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer out.

I thought it was a summer 2022 thing…it opens next month.

The reboot train chugs along, unstoppable.

But this may be enjoyable. Nice visuals and overall look. It certainly can’t/won’t be any worse than the most recent effort a few years back (you know, the one where the only funny person in the cast, Kristen Wigg, was relegated to playing the straight-woman role while the other three acted like they had brain damage; good move, Hollywood).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 10:41

I know this is a "reboot" but at least it isn't trying to be the original, just carry on the tradition. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one. I still haven't watched the one with the ladies in it... nor do I plan to... ever.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-18, 10:43

Yeah, that one looks great. Can't wait.

The other one, with the 4 check-boxing women, I never saw, nor do I plan to. The previews looked terrible, the reviews were atrocious, and the 20-minute version I watched on CinemaSins was barf-inducing. What a crap-fest.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I know this is a "reboot" but at least it isn't trying to be the original, just carry on the tradition. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one. I still haven't watched the one with the ladies in it... nor do I plan to... ever.
Yeah, more of a continuation than a reboot. It is tied to the original in a way that might help it.

A "reboot" would've been an attempt to remake/udate the 1984 movie with new cast, etc...um, kinda like that 2016 version Ken loves so much.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 16:35

Fifth Indiana Jones movie's release delayed yet again.

Now opening (as of today) June 30, 2023.

No telling how many times that might change between now and then..."July 2, 2027", "May 28, 2031", etc.

It's been pushed back four times now, after an initially planned release of 2019.

Ford will be 81 (or older, if it's delayed more) when it premieres.

There is no way this thing will ever be worth the time/hassle involved in its creation. I think all these delays, injuries, etc. are a sign to knock it off already.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 20:48

They just can't help themselves. Nobody wanted the last one and nobody wants this one.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
This trailer is something I would’ve loved at 30-35, I’m sure. At 52 it makes me want to not see the movie at all. It looks like exactly the type of thing i wouldn’t want to sit through anymore.
I'm 31 and I still hate it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
They just can't help themselves. Nobody wanted the last one and nobody wants this one.
Exactly.

“Quit while you’re ahead”…unheard of in Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm 31 and I still hate it.
It’ll be interesting to see how it does. It’ll certainly have a strong opening, especially if we’re on the downslope of COVID and theaters are back at it full steam.

But it’s that second and third week that will tell the tale.

I have a feeling it’s going to be one of those movies that does all it’s going to do on its opening weekend. Mainstream, non-genre audiences won’t be drawn in unless the word-of-mouth is really solid. But there just aren’t enough Batnerds to float anything less than great. These are limited-appeal movies, the bigger names, unless they’re something special.

The track record of DC/WB gives me little confidence that it’ll be anything different than everything they’ve released since Man of Steel…overwrought, ponderous cinematic wet farts* forgotten/unseen by week #3.

PS - If I ever started a movie review/discussion site, that’s what I’m calling it: Overwrought, Ponderous Cinematic Wet Farts.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-19 at 21:19.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-19, 21:23

I watched The Many Saints of Newark last night.

What a disappointment.

I only watched The Sopranos for the first time last year, so while I'm not a rabid fan of the series I really couldn't make any sense over how this prequel materially influenced the characters in the original series.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
PS - If I ever started a movie review/discussion site, that’s what I’m calling it: Overwrought, Ponderous Cinematic Wet Farts.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I watched The Many Saints of Newark last night.

What a disappointment.

I only watched The Sopranos for the first time last year, so while I'm not a rabid fan of the series I really couldn't make any sense over how this prequel materially influenced the characters in the original series.

That’s pretty much been every review - plus my Mom - I’ve heard/read. She really enjoyed the show, but didn’t think much at all of this movie.

I loved the show, but I’ve lost my spark to see this unasked-for, unnecessary prequel.

A shame, but, as I wrote just 40 minutes ago, 2-3 posts above: quit while you’re ahead, and leave well enough alone.

It’s okay to do, Noble, even. You dramatically lessen the chances of undermining/cheapening something that was very good and genuinely loved by many (Indiana Jones, The Sopranos, Michael Myers, Jaws, the Skywalker saga, Psycho, The X-Files, etc.).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-23, 17:08

Watching the 1989 Pet Sematary earlier...that evil little toddler.

His dad wasn't having any of it at the end.

Not sure such a movie/scenes would fly today...dude was giving his kid the business!

Creepy movie.

Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar to all you Trek folks) always had it going on back in the 80's.
¡Damned!

2021-10-24, 14:57

Holy shit that achilles tendon scene scarred me for years. Made me pull my sandal-wearing-feet right up off the theatre floor.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-24, 15:23

Oh yeah, that hurt. And then he proceeded to bite/eat(?) the old man's neck.

I'll forever see that man as the judge in My Cousin Vinny!

"Did you say 'yoot'?"

That little kid was so cute, but the way they made him look after he "returned" was quite unsettling. But when he came flying/dropping out of that attic opening, I laughed my ass off!

"I wanna play with youuuu...".

He was so young/little, and how they got him to make some of those facial expressions was awesome. Pre-CGI, so they probably bribed him with candy and toys..."hey, little buddy...can you look REAL mean for us...rawwrrrr! How would you look if somebody took your truck? Yes, just like that...roll film!".

I enjoyed that movie. One of those stories where someone just trying to fix wrongs goes horribly awry, and he never learned his lesson...the cat, his son and then his wife. And it cost him. I enjoy those kinds of stories/movies..."you can make things worse by further meddling/going against nature". Good creepy fun. I hated the scene with that 18-wheeler, though.
¡Damned!

2021-10-24, 16:18

He was Herman Munster to me* – unmistakable even without the makeup. And yeah, the 18-wheeler scene was really well done with them running towards the road. Just terrifying - even if it was foreshadowed to hell in the movie and we all knew what was going to happen without reading the book. Might be due for a rewatch after all these years.

* I have never seen My Cousin Vinny, I confess. It's one of those that just kinda slipped through the cracks during that time.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-24, 16:36

Give My Cousin Vinny a watch. A pretty funny “fish out of water story” with a neat ending. Some genuine laughs throughout, with Pesci doing a comedic turn on his usual NYC tough guy characters. Gwynne is the small town Alabama judge who has no patience for Pesci’s lawyer character’s ways. Lots of good performances…Marisa Tomei, Ralph Macchio, Fred Gwynne, Lane Smith, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-24, 16:55

I can second My Cousin Vinny. Really an enjoyable movie as far as I'm concerned. It makes the rotation in my house regularly.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-24, 17:03

"I wore this suit, for you judge."

Cracks me up every time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-24, 18:41

Something else I've been watching on my October horror/thriller kick (primarily from the back-to-back AMC showings) are the Final Destination movies. I've never seen any of them before, but now I've seen about four of them.

Nothing to write home about, acting-wise (although some very pretty cast members), but it is kinda neat, the various scenarios/gags...the Rube Goldbergian stacking of events that lead to tragedy are neatly written/shot. I find myself sitting here and watching "what happens next...who dies now?", so it's doing its job. They're just this side of those SyFy Sharktosaurus vs. Tarantulapus flicks, but the various over-the-tops deaths (and iffy CGI used to depict them) are a hoot to watch.

My one month of the year where I'll actively sit and watch things I normally wouldn't, just because it fits the month/mood. "Man, these are some unlucky people!"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-25, 23:23

Dune. HBO Max. Caught it tonight.

And … UGH!

The first headline I read was something like this: "Dune: Get ready for the next Star Wars and Lord of the Rings!"

Nope.

Wait …

Yep? Oh, dear. They did that? Really? REALLY??

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Bastards are two-parting or three-parting the whole thing. Yep. Ended like that. Awesome, well done, excellent use of CGI to help the story along, and the bastards just ended it with "This is only the beginning!"", literally. That was the last line. Perfectly timed exactly at the point where I knew it was getting chopped right there. As my daughter would say: "Son of a hamster!"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-27, 10:44

Lightyear featuring Captain America

Well, Chris Evans anyway. I am sure he doesn't want to stay pidgin-holed into that CA role. The trailer doesn't show much. I didn't even know the movie was coming until today. I'm sure it will be loaded with great political correctness though.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-27, 12:26

Anyone not see this coming? I said, years ago, Woody and Buzz will probably get their own genre movie where they're actually not toys, but the real "people"/characters Andy's toys were based on.

Took a while, but yeah.

I'm all prequel-ed/origin story-ed out, frankly. Sorry.

Again, I refer you to Patton Oswalt's "Kill George Lucas with a Shovel" bit, readily available on YouTube.

"I just love the things I love and I don't give a shit where they come from!"

Me too, Patton.

You take a huge risk in crumbling that magic/allure that drew you in to begin with. Prequels became a huge trend in the late 90's and throughout the 2000's, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a movie where knowing a longstanding, beloved character's backstory/origin has genuinely improved anything, or made me appreciate things more. If anything, it often goes the other direction.

"That's it? That's kinda...lame and underwhelming, actually. Hmmm...okay."

But it looks great. At first, until I saw my first glimpse of the character on the control screen, I thought this was a live-action thing (with Chris Evans being an astronaut; I didn't even put the "Lightyear" thing together yet...I just thought it was a title like Contact or Interstellar) with some really good visuals! That's how good they're getting with this stuff!

I bailed on Toy Story after the second one made me cry.

"No more...".