Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to Restore Missing iPad (Apple) Apps

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to Restore Missing iPad (Apple) Apps
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-28, 09:20

First, am I wrong in thinking Facetime was part of the installed package for iPad 2? I am clearing stuff out and setting things up to transfer my iPad 2 to a family member... and when I went to look what was installed this morning, Facetime was nowhere to be found. I don't remember deleting it. I tried running the system update via iTunes to get 5.1.1 or whatever the newest is, and that didn't bring it back either.

How would I get a non-appstore app from Apple, back into an iPad if not via software update?

[Only answer I found is restoring factory defaults but curious if there is an easier way, for future reference.]

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2012-05-28 at 09:37.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-05-28, 09:55

I tried deleting FaceTime and couldn't (on my 3rd gen iPad).
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-05-28, 10:00

Are you sure you didn't just lose the app somewhere? Try searching for it? Alternatively I'd be interested to see if you can initiate a FaceTime call(?) through the Contacts app.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-28, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Are you sure you didn't just lose the app somewhere? Try searching for it? Alternatively I'd be interested to see if you can initiate a FaceTime call(?) through the Contacts app.
Nope. Wasn't anywhere to be found. I searched it and nada. Another odd thing I found was I couldn't access the Gmail accounts from settings. They were greyed out. Was definitely something weird going on. In the end I restored factory settings but that seems like a lousy workaround for losing one Apple app. No idea how it was "lost" as I don't recall ever trying to delete it on purpose.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-28, 10:55

I'm blaming everything weird/bad on my iPhone (and anyone else's iPhone or iPad) on iOS 5.1. I really believe this release, for lack of a better phrase, really crapped the bed.

Any gripes/complaints I've heard from iOS-owning friends and relatives have sprung up since then, it seems. And for the first time in nearly five years, I'm getting unreliable mail, poorer battery life and random, goofy glitches and "this is just weird!" moments on an ongoing basis.

Sounds like you got a touch of it.

I've got some legit QC concerns regarding iOS and iCloud, these past several months.

Steve not being around to go ballistic and kick a little butt in meetings factor in? I have to wonder. He put the fear of God in the MobileMe team with that infamous scolding session. Unfortunately he wasn't around long enough to properly see it all through...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-28, 21:56

Well that makes me feel a little better (not just me). Hopefully not the case about Jobs, but I did read somewhere Jobs' relentless ass-kicking in the pursuit of perfection and keeping everything amongst the engineers before rolling products out is done. Cook is more of a corporate efficiency type and he's involving people in product decisions that formerly were not (marketing people, supply chain people, etc). So we'll see where it leads.