Anyone want to do a Nike+ Challenge?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone want to do a Nike+ Challenge?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-09, 09:54

Anyone with a Nike+ iPod thing want to do one of these? Im thinking first to 100 km by the end of , I dunno February?

Im not much of a sprinter so this is for the less serious among you that use this, just post here if you want to take part and then we can keep everyone up to date on the progress.

I need the motivation during the winter months and kicking Chuckers ass in a race is just the medicine!

Then PM me your Nike+ name so I can invite you.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-09, 09:56

Sure Farenheit, buy me an iPod nano and the Nike+iPod kit for Christmas and we'll do it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 10:01

Sure thing. Im sure I owe you at least one of them from all the tech support.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-09, 10:03

Sure. I need to run more. I'll PM you.
mudphud

2006-12-09, 15:11

Count me in.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-09, 16:04

When's this thing starting? I was going to go for a run soon and I'd like to get started. I'd hate to waste a good run.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 16:09

Well its 9pm here and I aint giving nobody a head start!

Also there are only 3 competitors so far, which is a bit sucky. Come on people, get joining in!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 17:43

Ok, so far the people breaking out the sweatbands are:

Myself
Torifile
Specmode
Mudphud (who by the way has just made his first post in 15 months!)

Would like a few more people, a nice round 10 would be great, but Im gonna see what I get by the end of tomorrow.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-09, 17:48

My new year's resolution is to eat healthier but especially to get more exercise. (And to learn how to spell "exercise," too.) I'm thinking about getting myself a Nike + iPod kit and some Nike + running shoes. (Buying things tends to keep me motivated. ) But Nike shoes are so pricey...I'm probably going to sound really ignorant here, but $100 for shoes seems really expensive to me. But I need some running shoes. My current shoes are barely fit for walking.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 17:51

I dont have Nike+ shoes. Partly because they aren't readily available to me in the middle of England, but mostly because they start at about £80 for standard trainers. I might get some at some point (as my trainers are falling apart) but not at the mo.

I just selottape and string mine to the top of my trainers. Easy.

Sorry, trainers = Sneakers/ Shoes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-09, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
My new year's resolution is to eat healthier but especially to get more exercise. (And to learn how to spell "exercise," too.) I'm thinking about getting myself a Nike + iPod kit and some Nike + running shoes. (Buying things tends to keep me motivated. ) But Nike shoes are so pricey...I'm probably going to sound really ignorant here, but $100 for shoes seems really expensive to me. But I need some running shoes. My current shoes are barely fit for walking.
You can use the kit without Nike+ shoes. It's not as comfortable, but it works just fine. From what I hear, Nike isn't a particularly great brand for running anyway.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-09, 17:53

I know that you don't have to get Nike+ shoes for the Nike + iPod kit. But I do want to get good running shoes. I don't want to kill my ankles or anything.

EDIT: Ha, I posted before I saw chucker's post. OK, chucker...what are some good running shoes?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 17:54

Alright, I'll do it. I want to be more active and need to be, so count me in. I actually bought the kit with the hopes it would "make me" more active. Now I'll have the chance. The last time I ran was a while ago, so I don't think I'll take the lead, but you never know.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 17:55

I have those Nike Frees also. They do kill your ankles, but I hear that eventually they build up strength in your feet. Im not feeling it
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 17:56

For those who don't care for Nike Shoes, Marware has the answer.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Alright, I'll do it. I want to be more active and need to be, so count me in. I actually bought the kit with the hopes it would "make me" more active. Now I'll have the chance. The last time I ran was a while ago, so I don't think I'll take the lead, but you never know.
You're on the list. No pulling out now
chucker

2006-12-09, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
OK, chucker...what are some good running shoes?
Don't ask me, ask my brother. I'm about as un-athletic as it gets, which is why it bugs me that I don't have an iPod nano, so I can't force myself to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
For those who don't care for Nike Shoes, Marware has the answer.
Nice, and not terribly overpriced either.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
You're on the list. No pulling out now
It's the motivation I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Nice, and not terribly overpriced either.
Yep, Shipping was $6.75 though. I ordered two just a few minutes ago.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 18:12

BTW: This will be useful for you once the challenge begins:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ngewidget.html
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 18:19

Thanks for the widget.

I'm having an issue with my Nike+ name. I'll have it sorted out soon.

The sight won't let me enter my login information. I'll try with Firefox and see if it's just a Safari glitch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 18:23

In the widget, I think you have to enter your email address rather than your username.

Im actually thinking that the challenge will be how many miles you can do before end of February instead of who can be first to 100 km. That way we don't have to feel bad if none of us get to 100 km!
chucker

2006-12-09, 18:26

I want to participate
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 18:29

Can I just say that I hate Nike+'s site.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-09, 18:32

Roboman: if you're not running more than 5 miles at a time, your shoes won't matter *that* much. I've got a pair of old running shoes that I got for $40 last year from Dicks that have been fine. No foot problems or anything.

I used some velcro with adhesive on both sides. Put it under my laces and on top of my tongue. It works *great* and I can't even tell I've got it in. Just make sure to calibrate the sensor after you do this for accuracy.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I want to participate
Buy a 1st gen nano and the nike+ set. Probably come to about $120. I dunno, US always seems so ridiculously cheap!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-09, 18:34

Quote:
In the widget, I think you have to enter your email address rather than your username.

Im actually thinking that the challenge will be how many miles you can do before end of February instead of who can be first to 100 km. That way we don't have to feel bad if none of us get to 100 km!
Sounds good. I probably won't start until January (well, I'll hopefully be running, but I won't have a Nike + iPod kit until then) but I'll keep track of how far I run once I get them. I'd love to get to the point where I wake up before school and run some.

chucker

2006-12-09, 18:46

Quote:
Buy a 1st gen nano and the nike+ set. Probably come to about $120. I dunno, US always seems so ridiculously cheap!
Sure, add 16% German VAT, EU customs, import costs, and you're roughly there.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-09, 18:50

Pfft. Always looking to create barriers to my awesome plans, aren't you Chunker!

I thought you were in the USA - shows what I know!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-09, 18:55

Quote:
$123.90 to Virginia after tax. Not a bad guess. It's $118 without state tax.
chucker

2006-12-09, 19:00

Quote:
Pfft. Always looking to create barriers to my awesome plans, aren't you Chunker!

I thought you were in the USA - shows what I know!
I was in Canada for the second half of 2005 and in the US for several weeks in '03 and '04; maybe that caused your confusion.

As for "always looking to create barriers", that is indeed a strange behaviour pattern of mine.

In any case, a kind man PM'd me with an offer; let's see how that pans out.