User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2011
Page 25 of 25 First Previous 21 22 23 24 [25]  Thread Tools
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-04, 13:49

Not the thinnest phone? Tiny, adequate at best screen? Color me extremely underwhelmed by the update. Glass back? Yuck. I'm going to buy one because I need an iPhone but this sucks balls. Totally underwhelming.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-04, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Not the thinnest phone? Tiny, adequate at best screen? Color me extremely underwhelmed by the update. Glass back? Yuck. I'm going to buy one because I need an iPhone but this sucks balls. Totally underwhelming.
When are you going to get it in your head that it's not the size of the screen but the resolution that matters? Christ. You're like talking to my in-laws some times...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-04, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
When are you going to get it in your head that it's not the size of the screen but the resolution that matters? Christ. You're like talking to my in-laws some times...
That is not true at all.

it's not an either/or question/problem.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-04, 13:58

I have a feeling that Partial is also underwhelmed by the camera only going to 8 megapixels, not realizing that the other improvements made make for a much better camera than a 10 or 12 megapixel one.

I love the design and update. It follows the trend of Apple updates. I don't get the disappointment.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-04, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
That is not true at all.

it's not an either/or question/problem.
In the abstract, it's not either/or but in this case it is. A change in resolution would mean that the aspect ratio of the device would be screwed up making all existing apps screwy. Apple wouldn't do that.

So we'd be talking about increasing the screen size while maintaining the same resolution. Which is a crappy solution. So, yes, it is either or.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-04, 14:04

Quote:
In the abstract, it's not either/or but in this case it is. A change in resolution would mean that the aspect ratio of the device would be screwed up making all existing apps screwy. Apple wouldn't do that.

So we'd be talking about increasing the screen size while maintaining the same resolution. Which is a crappy solution. So, yes, it is either or.
hardly crappy when the resolution and pixel density is as high as it is on retina displays.

Plus, you really think Apple can't figure out how to properly scale a UI to a 1/2" larger screen if it needed to?

Partial
Stallion

2011-10-04, 14:22

Quote:

Not it's not. That's a really stupid stance to take. Does it really matter if it's 320DPI or 295? Who cares? We use displays all day that are much lower DPI and don't bitch about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I have a feeling that Partial is also underwhelmed by the camera only going to 8 megapixels, not realizing that the other improvements made make for a much better camera than a 10 or 12 megapixel one.

I love the design and update. It follows the trend of Apple updates. I don't get the disappointment.
Camera is the best part of the iPhone. I don't have a problem with the internals of the phone. I have a problem with the same boring glass enclosure that is extremely fragile. I have a problem with having such a bulky phone by today and tomorrows standards with a tiny screen. High resolution and beautiful yes, but tiny and hard to use also yes.

They could make it close to 4" on the same enclosure if they got rid of the gigantic bezel.

Quote:
That's simply not true.

It's much easier to type on the same keyboard on a 4" screen with the same res. Are images as crisp? No, but they're going to be really GD crisp so it really doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a bigger screen for typing. You would too once you tried it.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-04, 14:26

This is surely the last iPhone update for 2011.

Please take further discussion into the new iPhone 4S thread or create a speculation thread for iPhone 2012.