Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 3 of 21 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-13, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I was going to mention those. They're not that new, but still funny to watch.
Actually, I saw a new one this morning. It's about an orthopedist with a foot fetish.

It opens on a guy in a doctor's office, with the doctor rubbing, smelling, and otherwise admiring his feet. The camera pulls back and the Red Stripe guy is on the other side of the room, and he says "Boo, creepy foot doctor!" and then, of course, "Horray beer!"
Sauvblanc

2006-07-13, 11:41

I looked it up in Wikipedia-apparently they used 300 "real" people (mostly backpackers) as extras in the ad, and for the far away shots they used CGI, Wiki said they were "semi-AI" people generated by Weta Digital. So they used both.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-13, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbyrd
Those Lindsay Wagner Sleep Number bed commercials.
Oh god, I just *hate* that commercial.

Sorry to be mean, but she looks like she hasn't had a good night's sleep in YEARS!!!

You know the moment when she turns to her left to face another camera? Well, her expression at that very moment is what bothers me. She looks annoyed that the director made her turn - or something.

Like she's thinking:

"Wow, this whole ordeal is just SO much *trouble*. My tv career has been over for years; I couldn't get a decent night's sleep for a decade; I'm reduced to making these commercials; and now you're asking me to *turn to the left*??!! It's just too much to take, it really is."

Honestly, I click away whenever she comes on.

Sorry, Lindsay, but I think you need to find some joy in your life. I wish you well in that endeavor.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-13, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
Actually, I saw a new one this morning. It's about an orthopedist with a foot fetish.

It opens on a guy in a doctor's office, with the doctor rubbing, smelling, and otherwise admiring his feet. The camera pulls back and the Red Stripe guy is on the other side of the room, and he says "Boo, creepy foot doctor!" and then, of course, "Horray beer!"
What?!

A commercial on *American* television showing a medical professional with a sexual perversion actually leering over a patient's feet???

Hey, fcgriz, did you see that on a cable channel, or what?

(If so, *what* channel? I'm dying to see it!!! )
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-13, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Hey, it's Jamie Summers...she's still hot, bionic or otherwise.

Dude, hip replacements and dentures aren't bionic, just geriatric.

*duck*
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-07-13, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Dude, hip replacements and dentures aren't bionic, just geriatric.

*duck*
Hello. Did someone mention my name? Helloooo...... oh well never mind......
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-13, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
What?!

A commercial on *American* television showing a medical professional with a sexual perversion actually leering over a patient's feet???

Hey, fcgriz, did you see that on a cable channel, or what?

(If so, *what* channel? I'm dying to see it!!! )
I don't remember where I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was ESPN, though. I watched TV this morning from about 7:45 to 8:15. And yes, it was American TV. I really do live in Indiana.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-13, 20:15

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to mention this.

Virgin Mobile's ads.

Yeah, I can't wait to get rid of their service (as anyone who read the "HELLOROBO" thread knows), but their ads are great.

The "Chrismahannukwanzakah" song is classic.

The "Paygoism" comerical is good, too.

And they have this one, and it's a totally naked chick in the middle of a city, and she's holding a box for a VM phone in a convenient location, and she's talking about how "With Virigin Mobile, nothing is hidden!" It was a good ad. Very memorable.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-13, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
Hello. Did someone mention my name? Helloooo...... oh well never mind......
You're changing your name to theduck??

OMG, I can't believe I didn't remember this one until now... Carl's Jr hamburger chain. Saw the ad run *once* in SLC, UT, and apparently it was the only time it aired in the region, after the phone calls flooded in to complain.

So Carl's Jr is known for their big, sloppy burgers. (They bought the horrible Hardee's chain a few years back, that's when Hardee's became edible - so anyone who's had a StarBurger, ThickBurger, etc, thank Carl's Jr.) They show this guy sitting in the park, eating one of their burgers. *plop* A big gobbet of goo slides out the back end (of the burger you pervs) and lands on his shirt. He looks down, grins big, and keeps chowing down. Voice over is talking about "Carl's Jr loads up so many tasty goodies, blah blah blah" all the while, *plop* *grin* *chow* *plop* *grin* etc.

And then get to the end...

"Carl's Jr..."

Busty blonde in tight dress is walking by, trips, dumps her drink all over the poor guy's shirt.

"If it doesn't get all over the place..."

Blonde: "OMG! I'm so sorry! Let me help you!"

"...it doesn't belong in your face."

Cut to cleavage. Cut to mess on shirt. Cut to guy.... cocking one eyebrow and grinning the biggest grin yet.

Never saw the ad again, but the last three lines was their slogan for years.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-14, 15:02

~ I just loathe the music in the Vonage commercial where they start singing: "Hoohoo, hoohoo hoo; hoohoo, hoohoo hoo...". Just gets on my last nerve, and is another 'vase through the tv screen' moment for me.

~ On HGTV (Home and Garden channel), the intro for HouseHunters has this awful 'music' that involves lots of popping, clicking, a doorbell ringing, and the sound of someone making that noise when you put your finger in your mouth and make a popping sound. This intro drove me crazy for a while, but now I just endure it stoically because I like the program.

Unfortunately, the new HouseHunters/New York has Star Jones Reynolds as host. Sorry, but the huge leering grin she gives at the end of her segments is just horrible - garish, caricature-like; 'exactly' like the most hideous gargoyle on a medieval European cathedral.

~ I have nothing but contempt for the ad with the woman doing ninja type leaps and flips around the house as she prepares to clean the floor around the toilet - since "Boys sometimes miss".

Oh PLEASE! It's like discussing cleaning the toilet is so incredibly embarrassing for these people (or they assume that their audience will be so uncomfortable from any allusion to the more inconvenient aspects of bodily functions), that they have to throw in ninja acrobatics to distract people from the unsavory topic of their ad and of the product they're selling.

~ That ad where they show the dirt and filth deep inside a carpet. Omg! It's just too disgusting. Yuck! I can't look at it.

~ Years ago, there was a series of Dust Devil commercials that featured the cutest, most adorable golden retriever puppies. While playing and chasing each other, they'd knock over a plant on the stairway landing and spill dirt all over the place. The Dust Devil would clean up the dirt in no time; and then we'd see all five exhausted puppies asleep together in their wicker basket like the plump, angelic little cutie-pies they were. I just LOVED those commercials... every single time I saw them. I love puppies.

~ Then locally we had the coolest newspaper commercial years ago. An Irish setter would bring the paper into the house from the sidewalk, and then he'd settle down on the carpet to have a nice leisurely read of the news. (We'd see dog paws turning the pages.)

Then he'd hear his master coming down the stairs, and he'd quickly rearrange the paper into the way it was originally folded, and he'd lie there, resting his chin on it, like a good dog. His eyebrows would lift several times (independently of each other ) when his master spoke to him, as if to show his complete and total dog-like subservience and innocence wrt what he had been doing. Hard to describe the charm of this ad, but I really loved it every time I saw it.

~ Oh, and all those *Dogs Rule* commercials from a couple of years ago, that showed dogs playing, having fun, and enjoying life tremendously in their innocent, pure-hearted dog ways? Those were pretty cool. I mean, after all, Dogs DO Rule.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-14 at 16:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-14, 15:27

I've met my match in the social commentary/smiley usage department.

Carol, I bow to your supremacy.

I pass the official "WTF Is That All About?!?" torch to you, my dear, and will take my place among the lower rabble here at 'Nova.

Oops!

I'll stage a return in '08...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-14, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I've met my match in the social commentary/smiley usage department.

Carol, I bow to your supremacy.

I pass the official "WTF Is That All About?!?" torch to you, my dear, and will take my place among the lower rabble here at 'Nova.

Oops!

I'll stage a return in '08...
Gee whiz, Paul. I only used 12 smilies in that Loooong post (ten paragraphs).

Normally I use 12 smilies in *one* paragraph.

And no, NO one could ever possibly take the 'social commentary' crown away from *you*. Ain't gonna happen. Not evah. Not in a million years.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-14 at 16:07.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-07-14, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Oh yeah --

The new Red Stripe beer commercials are really fun. They've come up with the BEST tagline for beer, hands down:

"Hooray beer!"
Brilliant!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-07-15, 19:37

Has anyone seen the Vehix.com commercial where the two employees are presenting their ideas on how to improve their website to their boss? One of them has an incredibly stupid idea (free squegee service, I think it was) and the other has a good idea, the one they actually added to the site.

The guy with the bad idea has a standard black plastic Windows laptop, and the one with the good idea has a PowerBook.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-07-15, 19:55

[quote=Kickaha]You're changing your name to theduck??

Damn. Meant to walk the duck off the page. Memory not as good as it used to be......now what was i doing here anyway......

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-16, 02:09

Great commercials for me:

The old Federal Express ads from back in the 80s. Surreal and funny.

More recently--about three years ago, I think--the short series of Quiznos ads with cavemen, most notably the first of the lot. I only saw it 2 or 3 times, but it stuck with me ("Quiznos--we're like the caveman with the stick"). I've tried looking for them online on and off, but have had no luck.

Not-so-great commercials:

Well, infomercials, for the most part. Especially the ones with the audiences. I swear those people--some of whom look like they're in some kind of cult (note the vacuous eyes and stupid grins)--would applaud a car accident.

Last edited by LudwigVan : 2006-07-16 at 05:18.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-16, 11:33

Hate: Girls Gone Wild commercials aired during late night.

Love: AIG Auto Insurance commercials (bull and squid)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-25, 18:13

Okay, I'm bumping this thread.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned that Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial. In the first scene, some guy picks up something a baby in a stroller had dropped and hands it to the baby. Someone sees him do this, and in turn, 'that' person does something nice later in the day, and someone else sees that good deed... etc, etc. It becomes a whole chain of random acts of kindess, and in the end, comes back to the man and the baby.

Seriously, this commercial is truly great, in my opinion. It points out that the good we do can multiply and spread beyond our imagining. In this age of violence born out of hatred and intolerance, such a commercial is a gem. If I mentioned it before, I apologize; I didn't reread the thread. But if I'm mentioning it twice... well, I can't feel too bad about that.

The commercial has been out for months, and I just saw it again the other night. I liked it even more than before, which is pretty amazing. Usually, no matter how good a commercial is, you just get sick of it eventually.

I hope the ad agency wins just masses of awards for this wonderful and inspiring piece of work.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-10-25, 18:19

Head On Apply Directly To The Forehead!

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-10-25, 18:40

Wakey Wakey!

I'll shoosh you ya tweedy auld crow...

Irn Bru 32

Beware the Glaswegian accent.
¡Damned!

2006-10-25, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Seriously, this commercial is truly great, in my opinion. It points out that the good we do can multiply and spread beyond our imagining.
I saw this for the first time last week, and while I'll agree it's a very good spot, I felt it was a kind of rip-off of a Red Cross spot that aired last year. I think it was the Red Cross...anyways, it starts with an attractive black woman being helped by a RC person, then continues in the same vein as the LMI spot, that is, a person from the previous scene helping someone in the next, then eventually ends on the initial woman acting as a RC person. It aired a bunch, so I'm sure you've seen it.

Regardless, I like them both. At the very least they should give someone pause about acting shitty.

So it goes.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-05, 02:50

I think it's highly likely that I *never* saw that Red Cross commercial, 709; because if I had, I wouldn't have liked the Liberty Mutual ad 'nearly' so much. I would've felt like it was a rip-off, just as you did.

The commercial I've seen a lot lately, but enjoyed every time, is the one (for Sprint, I think) where a guy is sitting on a bench in the city with his laptop, and two buzzards come and sit down beside him, looking at him as if *he's* going to be 'lunch', because his downloading is taking *such* a loooong time.

I love ad agencies with a sense of humor that doesn't treat the viewing public like complete morons, and doesn't bludgeon us over the head spelling out the point of their message as if we're too dim to figure it out unless they hold us by the hand and walk us through it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-01-05, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Wakey Wakey!

I'll shoosh you ya tweedy auld crow...

Irn Bru 32

Beware the Glaswegian accent.
Irn Bru FTW!!! LOVE the stuff! I always buy a stock when I go to the Highland Games in Alma, Detroit, and Fergus

Does anyone remember the Orkin commercial where there was a roach crawling on the screen? I always got a laugh out of that one

I like the Canadian Mastercard commercials with the kid that sucks at hockey and starts driving a Zamboni, too.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-05, 04:30

Irn Bru -

-at the pool-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyfASXK2TA&NR

Commercials I hate are the ones with those caveman guys.

I hate how they 'look'; but even worse, I hate their attitude. They're obnoxiously condescending and insufferably insolent. Oh yeah, that's *really* gonna sell me a product.

I don't even know what company they're advertising, because I click off the sound or change channels the minute the cavemen come on.

If the ads are meant to be humorous, they've missed their mark with me, because I avoid watching them 100%.
BenP

2007-01-05, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Commercials I hate are the ones with those caveman guys.

I hate how they 'look'; but even worse, I hate their attitude. They're obnoxiously condescending and insufferably insolent. Oh yeah, that's *really* gonna sell me a product.

I don't even know what company they're advertising, because I click off the sound or change channels the minute the cavemen come on.

If the ads are meant to be humorous, they've missed their mark with me, because I avoid watching them 100%.
They're Geico ads... the first one was about how Geico is so easy "a caveman could understand it", and the cavemen turned out to be cultured and indignant. So yeah, it was supposed to be funny. They don't really bother me but I prefer the gecko.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-05, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP View Post
They're Geico ads... the first one was about how Geico is so easy "a caveman could understand it", and the cavemen turned out to be cultured and indignant. So yeah, it was supposed to be funny. They don't really bother me but I prefer the gecko.
I don't like most of the caveman ones, either, but I think the one they're running now with the caveman visiting his therapist is pretty funny.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-05, 12:45

I have not seen the Carl's Jr. ad Kick spoke of, but now, knowing that Mormons everywhere hate it, I must seek it out. Usually their ads are pretty decent. Aired a lot during west coast hockey games....

Here's the newer ones, couldn't find the old ones... http://www.carlsjr.com/ontv

Watch out for the Philly Cabbies, they'll spill on ya. Damn Flyer fans.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2007-01-05 at 13:01.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-05, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
knowing that Mormons everywhere hate it, I must seek it out.
Haha. Doesn't sound like you'll be voting for Mitt Romney anytime soon.

Quote:
Watch out for the Philly Cabbies, they'll spill on ya. Damn Flyer fans.
Better than the Minneapolis airport cabbies. It seems that if you're carrying wine that you brought back from France, or rum from the Caribbean, lots of the Muslim cabbies won't allow you in their cab.

Out of 900 Minneapolis airport cabbies, 675 are Muslim Somalis!

So if you expect to get a ride from the Minneapolis airport, you'd better start adhering to the tenets of Islam.

Oh, and if you're blind, and have a seeing-eye dog, the same cabbies won't accept 'you' either. They believe that dogs are bearers of filth. I read all this in an MSNBC(?) article yesterday.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-05, 13:55

Yah I've heard about that. Some type of uber-conservative Muslim sect. My question is, how do they know you have wine or liquor unless you're carrying it around openly? I mean, once you're out of customs, stuff it in your suitcase or wrap it inside your jacket. If they ask, lie. Screw them and their superstitions. What are they gonna do, ask to search your belongings? If they do you can ask to search their immigration documents; that'll shut em up. Nosy bastards. Just do your job and shut your pie holes, unless of course you want to partake in friendly conversation like a normal human being.

The dog part is pure bullshit, they shouldn't even have a say and quite frankly the employer of the cabbies who refuse to allow seeing eye dogs, can and should be sued. That's a perfect case for a legitimate law suit. You can't deny cab service to a blind person because their dog offends your religious sensibilities. Fuck off with that! Go drive a cab in Riyadh then, ya fucks. Wine and spirits is one thing (there's an easy enough way around it), but denying the handicapped service because they require a dog to help them get around is completely out of line.

It's not a requirement that passengers abide by the driver's religion, last time I checked. Buttholes.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-05, 14:24

Well, I just came back from the Caribbean two weeks ago, and 'lots' of passengers were carrying boxes (with handles) that were obviously two-packs of rum.

I think they wouldn't want to de-box, and have two loose bottles to try to cram in their luggage.

Now that I think about it, I'm wondering 'how' and 'if' they carried those boxes of rum onto the plane. I don't see how they could have.

I don't remember bottles of alcohol being addressed in the Transportation Security Administration guidelines. I mean, they don't exactly fit into the "3-ounce bottle of liquid" carry-on rule.