User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Black Friday
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
rubber_Jedi

2008-11-25, 14:24

I'm looking for Predictions, Rumors and Advice for this Friday's 'Event'.

1. Does anyone know if the iPhone will be on sale?
2. Will we have to 'physically' be in an Apple Store or can we go online at midnight and still get the same deals?
3. Will Steve J. personally wrap my gifts? Hey, it could happen....

Dual-800 G4 Quicksilver. - Yeah, I said it, Geeee-Fooour!!
Mac Pro Octo-2.8GHz Yippeeeeeeee!

Last edited by rubber_Jedi : 2008-11-25 at 14:48.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_Jedi View Post
I'm looking for Predictions, Rumors and Advice for this year's Apple Black Friday sale.

1. Does anyone know if the iPhone will be on sale?
2. Will we have to 'physically' be in an Apple Store or can we go online at midnight and still get the same deals?
3. Will Steve J. personally wrap my gifts? Hey, it could happen....
I didn't know Apple even had Black Friday sales, at least never anything substantial.
rubber_Jedi

2008-11-25, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I didn't know Apple even had Black Friday sales, at least never anything substantial.
So what then happens at this event?
>>> Edit: Original post updated with the relevant link.<<<
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-25, 14:54

I highly doubt the iPhone will be reduced. But i would reckon that they might drop a little on iPods.

My big guess is that they will drop the prices on the Cinema Displays, Mini and all Apple Accessories. As the cinema displays will be discontinued by the end of 08. And all these iPod and computer accessories are great Christmas gifts.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 15:13

Quote:

So what then happens at this event?
>>> Edit: Original post updated with the relevant link.<<<
IIRC, the biggest deal last year—and one of the only deals—was a reduced price for .Mac. Maybe there were others but that's the only one I recall.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-25, 15:14

Apple typically knocks off about a hundred on their consumer computers (iMac and MacBook) and that's about it. They don't really use it as a clearance sale, so I wouldn't expect any deep discounts on the Cinema Displays or Mac mini, but who knows what they'll do this year.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rubber_Jedi

2008-11-25, 15:20

Hmm. It doesn't sound like much of an 'event'.

Does anyone know if one can get all of the same discounts (however unexciting) from the online store?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-25, 15:32

Quote:
Hmm. It doesn't sound like much of an 'event'.

Does anyone know if one can get all of the same discounts (however unexciting) from the online store?
"Come back to the Apple Online Store the day after Thanksgiving for a special one-day-only holiday shopping event." So yeah.

And yeah, the deals are hardly doorbusters, but Apple really isn't a "discount" company. I think it's a token "we have to" sale.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rubber_Jedi

2008-11-25, 16:00

So no 'in store only' specials. Ok, got it.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-11-25, 16:57

I'm guessing refurbs don't usually go on sale on Black Friday either?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-25, 18:25

Refurbs are already 'on sale' compared to retail.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-26, 18:03

Quote:
So no 'in store only' specials. Ok, got it.
I think it's both in-store and online, but I'm not sure. I was just at the Apple Store, but I don't remember if they had the sign up. Sorry.

rasmits
rams it

2008-11-27, 00:17

I guess Apple is now offering price matching on all products within their stores. Does this include their own products, or just third party stuff? If so, I guess that means other store's black Friday deals are now theirs as well.

You had me at asl
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-27, 15:10

The deals are live on the Australian store. I'm not up on all the exchange rates, but they don't look too hot. Americans can probably expect $100 off on the iMac and MacBook, and various smaller discounts on the iPods ($30 off the iPod touch, perhaps).

But again, you can't really compare Apples to oranges or anything else - as far as deals on Apple products go, Apple's deals are pretty competitive with other retailers. Best Buy's Mac deals are better, but there iPod deals aren't as good ($199 for an 8GB first generation iPod touch, for example). So it's worth shopping around, I guess.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-27, 16:29

I remember last year it was again a token amount knocked off the Apple range. I think its purely to push you to buy now rather than wait. Even if there is £50 off an iMac, if your think about buying one, it is likely to give you that little extra nudge.

But don't expect it to be one of those sales where everything goes and bargains are to be had at every turn. If it was i would be first in line with a shopping trolley.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-27, 16:40

Black Friday shopping is for fools, unless they shop online.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-27, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Black Friday shopping is for fools, unless they shop online.
I was going to go to Target to get a nearly-half-off Dyson, but I'm not so sure now. I mean, I'm not sure if I can get a ride in the first place, and it's not like I can walk around carrying a massive vacuum cleaner box, so my mind might be made up for me anyway. But also, even though it's almost half off, $250 is a lot of money to pay for a vacuum cleaner (for me anyways). But I really really really want a Dyson (and it's PINK!) so who knows.

But yeah, Black Friday is nuts. Pre-Thanksgiving "4 Day" sales are where it's at - prices almost as good as Black Friday (sometimes better!) with none of the crowds. I got a 32" Bravia for $498, so I'm happy. I also got a kickass LEGO Castle at Walmart for half price. That was *supposed* to be for Black Friday, but if they put them in a place where they're accessible for (really tall) customers, and if they mark them down ahead of time, well then they can't blame people for (ahem) buying them in advance...

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-11-27, 17:40

Rumor is Apple is putting everything on sale at 15% discount tomorrow. . . .

If so, might have to pick up my senior high school daughter a MB for xmas to take to college next year. . . .

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-11-28, 05:53

Yawn.... terrible deals.... although oddly Apple seems to have cut Office 2008 by $300 for today.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-11-28, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Yawn.... terrible deals.... although oddly Apple seems to have cut Office 2008 by $300 for today.
I wouldn't say terrible, but definitely meh.

Discounts on third party accessories aren't too shabby though.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-11-28, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I wouldn't say terrible, but definitely meh.

Discounts on third party accessories aren't too shabby though.
The discounts on some of the products don't even cover the tax in most states. Just go on Amazon and their MSRP pricing is cheaper because of no tax. (Amazon also has steeper discounts than Apple anyways since Apple sells everything at MSRP and Amazon sells nearly nothing at MSRP)
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-11-28, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
But I really really really want a Dyson (and it's PINK!) so who knows.
Very David Sedaris of you!!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-28, 06:06

Well, Amazon is God.

Considering Apple isn't really a "discount" company, the savings are welcome, although not exactly earthshattering.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-28, 06:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Very David Sedaris of you!!

Hahaha. Thanks, but right now I feel a bit more like Augusten Burroughs, with "The Cow."

I bought the Dyson online. Paying $10 for shipping was better then getting up early, fighting the crowds, and then trying to figure out how to carry it home.

But I'm a little "eh" about it...it was still a lot of money for a vacuum (for me), and I just realized that it was the DC07 model, and not the newer DC14 model, so that dampered my enthusiasm a little bit, even though I have no idea what the differences between them are (other than nebulous claims of "better technology"). But I hope I'm not turning into a guy who can't have a obsolescent vacuum, for chrissake's. Plus, mine is PINKER.

I'm cool with my decision. I've wanted a Dyson for a while and I need a vacuum anyway and do you really think I would be happy with some ripoff Dirt Devil? Puh-lease.

After all, infertile couples pay hundreds of times as much for babies on the black market. All I need is the Dyson, and I'm happy.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-11-28, 06:24

Quote:
Well, Amazon is God.

Considering Apple isn't really a "discount" company, the savings are welcome, although not exactly earthshattering.
It would have been a bit better if they had did the $101 dollar discount on the low end models as well.... but in typical Apple fashion they only did $51 discounts on those.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-28, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It would have been a bit better if they had did the $101 dollar discount on the low end models as well.... but in typical Apple fashion they only did $51 discounts on those.
What, the white MacBooks? To be honest, I'm surprised they discounted those at all. Anything under $1,000 has traditionally been "off limits" as far as qualifiying for Apple's promos, like the free iPod or CS discounts or whatever. (See: Mac mini, eMac, 17" "edu" iMac...)

But it's a nice precedent. Hopefully, the white MacBooks (should they continue to exist) will be included in the 2009 iPod promo, as well. A MacBook (with SuperDrive!) and a purple iPod nano for $949? Well, I know what I'm saving my "fun money" for (now that I just blew it all on a vacuum cleaner ).

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-11-28, 06:42

Quote:
What, the white MacBooks? To be honest, I'm surprised they discounted those at all. Anything under $1,000 has traditionally been "off limits" as far as qualifiying for Apple's promos, like the free iPod or CS discounts or whatever. (See: Mac mini, eMac, 17" "edu" iMac...)

But it's a nice precedent. Hopefully, the white MacBooks (should they continue to exist) will be included in the 2009 iPod promo, as well. A MacBook (with SuperDrive!) and a purple iPod nano for $949? Well, I know what I'm saving my "fun money" for (now that I just blew it all on a vacuum cleaner ).
I was mostly referring to the iMac but yes, the white macbook as well.

Oh well. I wasn't going to buy anything anyways and even if I were it wouldn't have been from an Apple Store.

The Office 2008 deal is remarkable though.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ...mco=MTIxODk3Mw
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-11-28, 08:00

Quote:
Hahaha. Thanks, but right now I feel a bit more like Augusten Burroughs, with "The Cow."

I bought the Dyson online. Paying $10 for shipping was better then getting up early, fighting the crowds, and then trying to figure out how to carry it home.

But I'm a little "eh" about it...it was still a lot of money for a vacuum (for me), and I just realized that it was the DC07 model, and not the newer DC14 model, so that dampered my enthusiasm a little bit, even though I have no idea what the differences between them are (other than nebulous claims of "better technology"). But I hope I'm not turning into a guy who can't have a obsolescent vacuum, for chrissake's. Plus, mine is PINKER.

I'm cool with my decision. I've wanted a Dyson for a while and I need a vacuum anyway and do you really think I would be happy with some ripoff Dirt Devil? Puh-lease.

After all, infertile couples pay hundreds of times as much for babies on the black market. All I need is the Dyson, and I'm happy.
I picked up a brand new DC18 for $200 a couple months ago. I have to admit, it's pretty fucking awesome--particularly when it comes to dealing with cat hair. And a 5 year warranty, too.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-28, 13:15

The DC24 looks like a killer. So are Dysons now the new chic thing to have? A la, Dyson is the new Apple. Everyone's got an Apple already - someone at the coffee shop was telling me how it makes them mad.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-28, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
The DC24 looks like a killer. So are Dysons now the new chic thing to have? A la, Dyson is the new Apple. Everyone's got an Apple already - someone at the coffee shop was telling me how it makes them mad.
I think they've been the "chic" vacuum cleaner for a while. I don't really care about that, I just like clean floors.