Video iPod - why it WON'T be soon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video iPod - why it WON'T be soon
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-25, 23:28

Here's hoping oldmacfan.. Pass the pipe bra.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-26, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I was gonna point that out but wasn't sure. I'm quite positive Steve was going to demo something that's new to 10.1, so it would have had to be at MWNY, not MWSF, in Summer.
Yeah, I just checked and it was for sure MWNY in the summer. Regardless, Apple still did introduce the Quicksilver PowerMacs and iDVD 2 during that keynote, so it wasn't too product-deficient.
nighthalox

2006-03-11, 21:48

The new touch-screen 4 inch video iPod will come out soon. It will either come out this April or a few moths afterwords. It will most likely come out in 40 and 80 gib models. I was recently thrown out of one Apple Retail Store for proclaiming this. Thanks Thinksecret.com
nighthalox

2006-03-11, 21:49

Very soon.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 12:59

It seems weird to imagine a 40GB iPod costing more than a 60GB iPod, but I can see Apple using a 40GB drive in an attempt to get the "iPod video" down to a more mass-market friendly price ($399?), instead of it starting at $499 or something.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ghost2

2006-03-12, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
It seems weird to imagine a 40GB iPod costing more than a 60GB iPod, but I can see Apple using a 40GB drive in an attempt to get the "iPod video" down to a more mass-market friendly price ($399?), instead of it starting at $499 or something.
I think that the iPod Video price points would follow the price points of the second generation iPod Photo, $349 for the 40gb version, and $449 for the high end 80gb version rather than following the prices of the first generation iPod Photo, which would mean $499 for 40gb and $599 for the 80gb model. I think that the first scenario is much more wallet friendly. This is assuming that there will be an iPod video, and that it will come in 40gb and 80gb models.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 13:57

I don't think we'll see the iPod video for $499/$599, but I wouldn't say it'll debut at $349, either. iPod Hi-Fi notwithstanding, $349 is a very unusual price to launch a product at, especially for Apple.

I think we'll see the "iPod video" debuting at the same price as the original iPod, $399. (The 60GB iPod may or may not drop to $349.) The 80GB model could be $449 or $499 - likely the latter, as much as it would mess up Apple's "$50 increment" system.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ghost2

2006-03-12, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I don't think we'll see the iPod video for $499/$599, but I wouldn't say it'll debut at $349, either. iPod Hi-Fi notwithstanding, $349 is a very unusual price to launch a product at, especially for Apple.

I think we'll see the "iPod video" debuting at the same price as the original iPod, $399. (The 60GB iPod may or may not drop to $349.) The 80GB model could be $449 or $499 - likely the latter, as much as it would mess up Apple's "$50 increment" system.
I would think that apple would have learned their lesson lesson with the limited success of of the original iPod Photo, and would want the iPod Video to have the most mainstream price possible, but that's just my 2cents.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 14:18

I think $399 is the most mainstream price possible. A more powerful processor, a (hopefully) better battery, a four-inch touchscreen, and a 10GB larger hard drive (using new perpendicular recording tech, I might add) for $50 over the current 30GB iPod? I just don't think that's realistic.

$399 is ambitious enough.

I also don't think that comparisons to the iPod photo are valid, because (as I've just demonstrated) a "true video iPod" adds a lot more than just a color screen and a $100 price increase.

Ghost2

2006-03-12, 14:36

Your probably right, $399 is about the lowest price that we are likely to see in a device like this, and a iPod video would be a much larger upgrade than just a color screen. But on an unrelated note what kind of specs would you expect to see on a device like this, such as battery life, thickness, and display resolution? Because I wouldn't want a device that is super thick with a paltry battery life.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 15:04

Well, the drives shouldn't have to get thicker - the new perpendicular recording drives can get 40GB on one platter (like the current 30GB iPod) or 80GB on two (like the current 60GB iPod). Of course, the thickness could increase in other ways - the battery really would need to be improved - but I don't see Apple making this if it has to be hugely fat.

Ghost2

2006-03-12, 15:57

Well I'm hoping it won't look like this.
http://static.flickr.com/43/11020332...8346d3.jpg?v=0
porter

2006-03-12, 17:38

The new video iPod should be coming out in a few weeks, trust me.
Wanna know why I'm so sure?
Because I just bought a 30GB iPod.

At an Emergency Apple board meeting...
Apple VP: "Steve, that guy just bought a iPod."
Steve: "Our guy?"
Apple VP: "Yup. None other."
Steve: "Great, start shipping out the Wi-Fi video iPods with the holographic 40in displays running on OS X mobile. Did he buy a iBook yet?"
Apple VP: "No sir. Not yet."
Steve: "OK, let's hold off on the MacBooks, just keep them in our warehouses until-"
Apple VP: "But Steve, we have to update the iBook, it's-"
Steve: "Goddammit! This is the last time I tell you- we don't release our products until he buys! Got it???"
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-03-12, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
The new video iPod should be coming out in a few weeks, trust me.
Wanna know why I'm so sure?
Because I just bought a 30GB iPod.

At an Emergency Apple board meeting...
Apple VP: "Steve, that guy just bought a iPod."
Steve: "Our guy?"
Apple VP: "Yup. None other."
Steve: "Great, start shipping out the Wi-Fi video iPods with the holographic 40in displays running on OS X mobile. Did he buy a iBook yet?"
Apple VP: "No sir. Not yet."
Steve: "OK, let's hold off on the MacBooks, just keep them in our warehouses until-"
Apple VP: "But Steve, we have to update the iBook, it's-"
Steve: "Goddammit! This is the last time I tell you- we don't release our products until he buys! Got it???"
That is so true!
nighthalox

2006-03-12, 19:36

I hope it comes soon because i am seling my 30 gib to my dumbass friend.
jerzyflix

2006-03-13, 15:44

Do you think Showest will be a place to debut new video Ipod?
blehpunk

2006-03-14, 09:01

i can't believe that people are actually falling for this

http://community.livejournal.com/ohn...t/5941314.html
clintonintern

2006-03-14, 18:09

If they can find away to get a Video iPod with an over-the-air tuner, then I'll buy it no matter what the cost. My NCAA Hoops addiction is just as bad as my Mac addiction. Gunna make for a long work week...
Ghost2

2006-03-14, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehpunk
i can't believe that people are actually falling for this

http://community.livejournal.com/ohn...t/5941314.html
Your link doesn't work.
nighthalox

2006-03-15, 19:27

Dumb-shit, give us a link that actually works. Also, the new iPod should come out at the next expo, unless they have not figured out the technical aspects.
Aesahaettr
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-15, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthalox
Dumb-shit, give us a link that actually works. Also, the new iPod should come out at the next expo, unless they have not figured out the technical aspects.
Idk about it coming out at the next expo. The chip maker for the iPod said that it's working with another company and will have a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth enabled chip ready for the iPod by the second half of this year, so I think they will hold off on the new iPod until it can become wireless, which will be after April 1 anyways. I'm guessing at the WWDC in August.

Last edited by Aesahaettr : 2006-03-16 at 09:02.
blehpunk

2006-03-16, 15:12

Quote:
eat a dick. they took down the post.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-16, 15:27

Quote:
Dumb-shit [..]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blehpunk
eat a dick [..]
Tone it down. Please.

Quote:
Ad-hominem attacks of forum members will not be tolerated. We understand that things get heated, but it helps to maintain a modicum of respect for the membership. Attack ideas, not people. Be open-minded and try to help foster meaningful discussion. Yes, meaningful discussion is possible if everyone respects each other.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-03-16, 15:51

Quote:
The new touch-screen 4 inch video iPod will come out soon. It will either come out this April or a few moths afterwords. It will most likely come out in 40 and 80 gib models. I was recently thrown out of one Apple Retail Store for proclaiming this. Thanks Thinksecret.com
'I was recently thrown out of one Apple Retail Store for proclaiming this.'

Hardieharhar... yes, I bet they did throw you out.

I think its amazing that this 'touchscreen, do-all, holiest of holy' video-ipod has so much attention... while it does not make any sense right now for Apple to make such a device like this... guys be a bit more conservative... the market isn't ready... holy hell: the content is not even there!

Why not dream about a 30th Anniversary Mac... *echoes* cream in your pants, pants, ants, ants...

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-03-16 at 16:06.
Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-16, 16:45

What are you talking about?
Oompa Loompa

2006-03-16, 17:01

What am I talking about?

Touchscreen technology will be adopted by Apple, no doubt about that. Will the iPod be the first device to utilize this technology? No.
Apple will be a slow as a turtle. First we'll see full-lenght films to buy in the iTunes Music Store in 2006... then we'll see a movie-to-rent possibility in a years time... then we'll see a touchscreen Mac (tablet) in late 2007... and then maybe we'll see your holy touchscreen iPod as well.

If I am wrong... and hopefully I will be... I owe you a cold beer!
Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-16, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
If I am wrong... and hopefully I will be... I owe you a cold beer!
Ha! I'm gonna hold you to that come April 1/August 7.

I don't know why you think Apple is so slow about their technology. They currently have the best portable music/video player on the market. No doubt about that. And in my opinion, they also have the best of NEARLY everything else they offer.

Having said that, you do know that Microsoft IS releasing its "Origami" soon, so naturally Apple has to make something to compete against that as well.
Oompa Loompa

2006-03-16, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWretched
Ha! I'm gonna hold you to that come April 1/August 7.

I don't know why you think Apple is so slow about their technology. They currently have the best portable music/video player on the market. No doubt about that. And in my opinion, they also have the best of NEARLY everything else they offer.

Having said that, you do know that Microsoft IS releasing its "Origami" soon, so naturally Apple has to make something to compete against that as well.
I know about Origami... it makes me laugh/cry... and well, a deal is a deal... hope you will be right. But my guts say something else is coming up. We'll all be not dissapointed though. We'll just see.
Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-16, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
I know about Origami... it makes me laugh/cry... and well, a deal is a deal... hope you will be right. But my guts say something else is coming up. We'll all be not dissapointed though. We'll just see.
Agreed. I think that's a good answer to most things posted here, too. We just have to wait and see what's gonna be released. I'm wodering now, what qualifications does one need to become an Apple Store employee, or just to work for Apple at any job at all? I'd definitely work for them if I had the chance...
nighthalox

2006-03-28, 20:59

I was thinkin of buying a 1GHZ powerbook G4. With a superdrive, good? Oh the iPod is most likely to come out in June.