User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The Finder icon circa 10.0 - 10.2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Finder icon circa 10.0 - 10.2
Is it 1981?

2006-03-24, 22:00

A few years ago I applied some custom icons that were inspired by the then-just-released G5 systems using CandyBar - and very nice they were too. But recently I decided to revert most of my icons back to the original Mac OS X ones (even to the point where my desktop background is no longer a randomly changing set of photos but the standard Aqua wallpaper from Tiger).

But there's one thing I really don't like - the 'new' Finder icon which I believe was changed in Panther? It looks too glossy and 'slippery' for my liking - plus it's a looks a lot more square than it used to be. Yuck.

Here's the two icons for your perusal:

Does anyone have the 'original' Finder icon to hand they could spare me? I'd love to be able to use that instead of the current one. I did a search beforehand and didn't find anything (well there was the thread Brad posted that had a high-res 'new' Finder icon) and I hope this doesn't breach the posting guidelines (pirated software or something, I dunno haha) - but if it does, then feel free to put the dancing padlock to use.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-03-24, 22:18

I like the "new" icon introduced in 10.3. His face is more smily and looks like he's more awake. It makes the old one look a little stoned-type relaxed happy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-25, 03:46

I like the newer icon too. I was resistant at first, as with any change to something as iconic as the Finder, err, icon, but I prefer the newer one because the contrast is stronger and the face looks a bit perkier. The only thing that I don't really like is that sharp horizontal specular/reflection line.

Also, for old-school users like me, the newer one looks much more like the original Finder smile we had for years from System 7.5.1 through Mac OS 9 than the 10.0-10.2 icon did.

See?

It almost looks like the original Aqua team for Mac OS X was just trying to recreate the Finder icon from memory and wasn't allowed to actually look at it. The shapes are all there, yes, but all of the proportions and curvatures are a bit off.

I'm moving this thread to Apple Products; Genius Bar is for tech support issues.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-25, 04:51

I always liked that icon.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-25, 07:15

First, I should say, I have not really considered the Finder icon that much. But, now that it has been brought to my attention here are my thoughts:

I like the greater contrast and larger eyes of the new Finder icon, yet can't stand the prominence of the horizontal wavy line. In terms of facial differentiation, the original icon with the blue smile on the left helps separate the profile view from the face on view. On the other hand, the blue eye gives him that David Bowie "I've got different coloured eyeballs" thing ... which is off putting.

Btw - great gif, cheers Brad.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Is it 1981?

2006-03-25, 07:24

Brad.

You. Are. A. Legend.

Now I've applied the icon though, I have to say... it looks pretty shit when it's scaled down - looks too small compared to other icons. I might stick with it, or bite the bullet and use the 'new' icon; sadly thereby rendering this thread and your tireless efforts useless