Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iDVD questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iDVD questions
dngonzales

2006-07-31, 21:52

Hello everyone its been a while since i've been here
my questions are currently ive been using iDVD 5 to burn dvd's to play on my old panasonic dvd player hooked up to my HDTV. ive been converting my files into MP4 so iDVD can read (Which does'nt take near as much time) and import them into iDVD since i am working with files over an hour long so performance is default at best quality(which i prefer anyway). But iDVD takes around 6 maybe 8 hours or longer for a standard movie and then when i play the dvd the edges are cropped. the last footage i used was at 672X368 and was cropped when i played.
Question 1 what resolution should i use to prevent cropping? wiki says dvd resolution is 720X480 but it also says 480i is 640X480. which resolution range should i keep my videos under to prevent cropping since i dont have very many dvds to spare
Question 2 is there any other dvd burning utilities that might be faster at making a readable dvd for most dvd players including the older ones other than iDVD and still be 1 as easy to use and 2 have as good a success rate as iDVD i being the dvd is readable when completed and not a coaster

i like idvd very much but making a dvd is pretty much an overnight thing any help to speed up this process would be much obliged. as with anyone a free program is great but if everyone uses a program that you have to pay for and is a very good product with great reviews and will do what i am asking i would have no problem buying it

also i heard iDVD 6 might be faster is it ? should i download this http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Video/Apple-iDVD.shtml
i thought i would have to buy ilife 06 but it looks to me that this part of it is free

Current System Specs
eMac 1.25 768 ram superdrive 80gb hd
OS is current version for PPC 10.4.7
iLife 05
i know i cant expect this system to be a speed demon but for 400$ brand new with AP and BT it has been a wonderful system but something has got to be faster than idvd since other programs i use can convert formats of the same file in a much shorter amount of time