Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Breaking a DVD of aTV Show DVD into the episodes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Breaking a DVD of aTV Show DVD into the episodes
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-22, 21:44

I have a bunch of TV shows on DVD (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Arrested Development, etc...). I want to put them into iTunes so that I can play them on my iPod. I know that I can use Handbrake or MacTheRipper to move them to my hard drive. Then I want to make them into .mov files with Quicktime so that I can play them on an iPod or via iTunes. Is there any way to break the DVD's down into the episodes quickly? Would I just have to do it on a chapter basis or is there a way to break down the dvd after I have ripped it to my hard drive? I ask because some of my dvd's have already been pulled to my hard drive so it would be nice to not have to do it all over again on those just to break them down into episodes. Thanks in advance!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-22, 21:51

Wow! Typos all over my title! Sorry!
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-09-22, 22:15

What I would use is handbrake. You can set up a queue for all your episodes to rip into separate files. Just make sure to set the settings so the end video fine is compatible with the iPod

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-09-22, 22:20

Yea. Handbrake does that. Had a problem with Animatrix though.
Wraven

2006-09-22, 22:31

Just a quick note. I am lazy and let iTunes determine the "proper" bitrate, etc... settings for my DVDs. How do I do this?

I rip all my DVDs in Handbrake at 4000kbps video and highest bitrate on the DVD for my audio, creating a huge M4V H.264 file. Then I just import it into iTunes and convert to iPod. Fairly painless, and that way iTunes gets me the absolute optimal bitrate.

Movies look really nice too (which is a happy bonus).

Also, I am completely anal so I go get the nice DVD front packaging from Amazon, crop it to a nice aspect ratio, and add it to the Artwork. That way all of my movies have the nice iTunes Store artwork for CoverFlow.

Cheers,
Wraven
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-09-23, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven View Post
I rip all my DVDs in Handbrake at 4000kbps video and highest bitrate on the DVD for my audio, creating a huge M4V H.264 file.
Holy Hell! That is beyond overkill. You are well into low HDTV bit-rates but for DVD video. There is a point where a higher bit-rate causes more problems than it solves. Especially with a processor intensive CODEC such as H.264.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-23, 10:56

What setting should I use if I want to be able to play it on my 32" lcd tv once the iTV comes out and I want to play it on an iPod once I get it? The first few I did I used Quicktime to put them into H.264 640x480. Is this going to look good on the TV? Suggestions on a good mix for quality and size of the file would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-23, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
What setting should I use if I want to be able to play it on my 32" lcd tv once the iTV comes out and I want to play it on an iPod once I get it? The first few I did I used Quicktime to put them into H.264 640x480. Is this going to look good on the TV? Suggestions on a good mix for quality and size of the file would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I should imagine it will look pretty crap on your tv. Just worry bout iTV when it comes to it
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-23, 13:10

But I don't want to have to do it all over again! What should I encode in?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-09-23, 14:11

First, DVD resolution is 720x480 so no matter what, you want 720 pixels across. I encode using MPEG4 because it is faster and my 400Mhz laptop can just barely keep up. I use 1000k/s and I see artifacts (I don't care. I want small files.) 2000k/s is plenty for DVD. H.264 is much more advanced and needs less bandwidth so I suggest sticking with 2000k/s. Files are half the size and I don't think you will notice the difference. Perhaps you could even get away with 1500k/s but I would run some tests with that.

As for re-encoding... don't bother unless you are running out of disk space.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-23, 14:25

Thanks!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-11-21, 20:34

I have another similar question about DVD ripping and thought I should put it here. I just bought and concert DVD because there wasn't a cd version available to purchase of this specific event and I really want to be able to listen to just the music from it. Is there any easy way to pull just the audio from the DVD and maybe even break it down into tracks? I was thinking I might just have to use audio hijack and do it that way but that might be sloppy and it will take a long time, right? Thanks for the help!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-21, 20:38

QT Pro can export the audio only. So if you rip into videos and then have QT Pro export audio files is one way. I'm sure there are others too, I just know that one off the top of my head.
initialsBB

2006-11-22, 13:35

I'm sure that with yadeX or Mac The Ripper you can rip the audio chapter by chapter...