User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBookPro will not boot

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBookPro will not boot
brassguy

2006-11-19, 04:58

My MBP was on a chair and it fell off onto the ground.

Now it will not start up. When you hit the power button it makes the booting up sound but then it never goes past the loading screen.

I got this MBP in August and I have Apple Care. Can I fix this? Can Apple fix this? Will it be covered? If not, how much will it be to fix?

Hopefully my files will still be in tact. Will they be? I'm going to try to check on that later today.

This was a Core Duo MBP - if Apple replaced it would the replacement be Core 2 Duo?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-11-19, 05:20

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage like drops and falls.

If the damage is not obviously from a fall, you may be able to get AppleCare to cover it.

If Apple agrees, they will either repair your current model, or probably replace it with a Refurb Core Duo. I would highly doubt that they'd give you a C2D.

From the information you gave, it's hard to guess as to what the problem is... and if it would be easily fix-able. Can you boot from a CD (like the install CDs that came with your computer?) Can you boot if you hold down shift and enter in safe mode? Do you have any other Macs handy? Can you boot up into Target Mode and access your MBP via Firewire? That way you could save your data.

It does kinda sound like a hard drive problem, so booting up into Single User mode (Hold down -s on boot up) and following the directions for fsck would not be a bad idea. See Brad's post in the FAQ thread for more info.
brassguy

2006-11-19, 05:52

I just tried booting up in Target Mode....I connected it to a PPC G4.

Once connected, on the G4 it said:
"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable voumes, click initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click ignore."

i guess that means that the harddrive is fried ? ....ugh.

I had a DVD in my MBP when it happened. When I connected the MBP in Target mode to the G4, the DVD showed up on the desktop of the G4 and I was able to eject it. So at least thats something.....
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-11-19, 06:02

Are there any marks, scratches or anything that can prove that your MBP fell down? If not, I'd suggest you to take it to an Apple store and lie your ass off.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-11-19, 13:02

your macbook pro should have come with restore disks labeled "Macbook Pro Mac OX Install Disk 1" and "Macbook Pro Install Disk 2"

Disk 1 should also have Apple Hardware Test, try putting disk 1 into your laptop and when you power up, hold down the "D" key to boot into hardware test. Run a thorough test and see what it comes up with. My guess is that your hard drive probably was damaged by the drop since it is one of the only things in a laptop that have moving parts.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-11-19, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassguy View Post
My MBP was on a chair and it fell off onto the ground.

Now it will not start up. When you hit the power button it makes the booting up sound but then it never goes past the loading screen.

I got this MBP in August and I have Apple Care. Can I fix this? Can Apple fix this? Will it be covered? If not, how much will it be to fix?
Will your homeowners/rental insurance cover this?
brassguy

2006-11-19, 21:26

I just took it to my school's Tech Center.

They are running a diagnostic on it.

The hard drive seems to be the problem. The scan had detected numerous bad parts. So many that the tech guy said that I'd definitely need a new hard drive. Didn't know if it could be repaired or data retrieved - but probably not to both.

He'll call me when the scan is completely done and the full extent of the damage can be seen, will see if it can be repaired, data retrieved, etc.
---------

Should I go through Apple on this one? Or the school? Which would be more efficient, faster, do the job right, cheaper, etc?

I'm not going to mention it falling and physically it doesn't look like it fell. Will this be covered under warranty?

From Apple how long will they take to fix this?
SledgeHammer

2006-11-22, 06:58

Several years back, only a few months after I got my PowerBook, it was in its case, hanging from my shoulder. The strap slipped off and the case dropped a couple feet to the floor. The drop was enough to damage the optical drive. I took it to an Apple store and they fixed it under warranty. I don't remember what (if any) explanation I gave. So it's at least worth a try as far as getting it fixed under warranty goes. They did have to ship it off to Texas, or something, so I was without my computer for a week or two (I don't actually remember how long it took, but I'm pretty sure it was about a week or two).

Chances are, your school tech guys are better than the ones at my school, as I went to a pretty rinky dink little liberal arts college. That said, I wouldn't have let any of those guys within 20 feet of my computer. They were all Windows guys, and they didn't even seem to do a particularly good job of keeping the computers they knew how to use working.