Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook hdd replacement question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook hdd replacement question
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-03, 10:47

I got my new MacBook this morning and installed the RAM, no problem. Went to install the new harddrive, but come to find out I need a T-8 Torx screw driver. Where the hell can I find one that small? I only have T-10 and Ive called a couple different places so far and thats the smallest they have too. Ive tried home depot, compusa, and a local hardware store. I may go and try Best Buy and Sears. Anyone have any recommendations?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-03, 10:54

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Both those kits have the one you need. They're $26 or $50.

RadioShack: http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...igkw=torx&sr=1

A $9.78 set that has Torx T8: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

As for local stores, I naturally can't give you much advice, not living anywhere near Ohio.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-03, 10:57

Didnt even think to try radioshack, maybe ill call them. im on the phone with sears right now. hopefully they come through.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-03, 10:58

Funny, RadioShack would have been the first local store for me to try.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-03, 11:01

Radioshack has a set with it in there.

I figured that places like Sears or Home Depot or CompUSA would have shit like that, but I guess not. I swear, sometimes those stores are useless.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-03, 11:21

Try Sears and avoid RS. I hate RS but they are good in a pinch. I got my set from Sears, at least it warranted and for life vs the crap you have to get at RS.

T8 only
Miniature 24pc Set

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-03-03, 11:53

http://cgi.ebay.com/REPAIR-TOOL-T-8-...QQcmdZViewItem
chucker

2007-03-03, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
$5 shipping on a $2 item?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-03, 12:16

I installed my new harddrive and it's not showing up on the "destination to install OS" section. Ive done this 3 times and it never shows up. What could I be doing wrong? Do I have to format it before hand somehow? I thought it did that when I installed the OS...

@yontsey
chucker

2007-03-03, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I installed my new harddrive and it's not showing up on the "destination to install OS" section. Ive done this 3 times and it never shows up. What could I be doing wrong? Do I have to format it before hand somehow? I thought it did that when I installed the OS...
You can launch Disk Utility from the Utilities(?) menu. Does it show the drive?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-03, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Like chucker said. Launch DU from the menu bar and format there before you install the OS.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-03, 12:21

Yeah, it shows up there but not in system profiler or destination for volume install.

Im gonna format it. Which is the best format to go with?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-03-03, 12:24

HFS+ Journaled.

Also, when you do a fresh install, you might want to avoid installing language localizations, extra fonts, and extra printer drivers. You'll save at least a GB and you won't miss any of that stuff.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-03-03, 12:24

Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Edit:
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-03-03, 21:50

Also - make sure to click the Options button and choose GUID Partition Scheme when formatting.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-28, 02:49

Im about to hook up an external hdd to my pc so I can store my movies and videos and what-not on there. What is the best formatting choice so that I can access it on both pc and my macbook?

@yontsey
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-05-28, 04:30

FAT32. Read/write ability in both Windows and Mac. OS X can't write to NTFS volumes, and Windows can't read OR write to HFS+ volumes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-28, 08:43

Luca answered your question, but if you are planning to leave the drive connected to a PC and connect to it through the network then you would be better off using NTFS. While the Mac can't read from it directly, there are less limitations with NTFS than FAT32.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-05-28, 09:31

I thought of mentioning that, but I figure that it would be more beneficial to be able to swap it between two computers if necessary than it would be to have a small amount of added flexibility when it's connected to the PC. What happens if the PC has problems or if you're unable to get a network connection going between the two computers?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-28, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I thought of mentioning that, but I figure that it would be more beneficial to be able to swap it between two computers if necessary than it would be to have a small amount of added flexibility when it's connected to the PC. What happens if the PC has problems or if you're unable to get a network connection going between the two computers?
I haven't had those problems personally so I never think about those. Worst case, he could load up Parallels and transfer the data from the NTFS drive to a Mac or FAT32. There are few drives that I actually use as portable personally so I don't think about swapping around.

Seems that if the drive is going to stay stationary and not *need* to be connected to the Mac directly then NTFS and network would be the answer. Otherwise, FAT32 would be best to allow the interoperability.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-28, 09:54

Thanks for the response fellas. For the time being, it's going to be stationary to the PC, but I may try and pick up a cheap Apple desktop in the future so I wanna make sure that it will be possible to be able to go between both systems.

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-28, 10:42

Call me retarded, but when I plugged in my external hdd to my pc, it came up as an unknown device. No biggie. Though, I cant figure out how to reformat it. I never really work on pc's and this is why I dont, because they make everything so much harder and confusing then it should be.

It doesnt show up in My Computer. I do see it in Device Manager, but like I said, all it says is Unknown Device. It showed up as not recongnized.

Help.

Edit:
After a lil research, I found out that Fat32 can only allow up 32gig formats. If I formatted it on my Macbook as MS-Dos File System, will that allow me to read/write on both Mac and PC? Will it allow for more than 32gig partitions?

Edit #2:
Ok, so, I formatted the external hdd in MS-Dos File System and now when I plug it into the pc, it comes up as an Unknown Device still and wont show up in the My Computer folder. Why cant everything be as easy as an Apple?

Eh, whatever, it showed up finally. Im so frustrated with that stupid ass pc already.

@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2007-05-28 at 13:22.