User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Just purchased the new macbook pro 15" led backlight!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just purchased the new macbook pro 15" led backlight!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jjahshik32

2007-06-07, 18:25

I decided to take back my 1 week old macbook core 2 duo and exchange it with the $1999 macbook pro with led back light. I know some apple stores still havnt put out the led back light and all the pictures online arent very good in the comparison and man is the led lighting bad A$$, its brighter than my ACD at full brightness!! Since there are no pictures in the world that can describe the old screen to the new screen, all I can say is get it! Get the new macbook pro with the led screen, if your looking for purchasing a new laptop, now is the time, the screen is so bright and very clean and its easier on my eyes than even the 20" cinema display that I have. I have the matte screen but it looks cleaner and brighter than the macbook core 2 duo glossy screen!!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-06-07, 20:00

Why did you not get glossy? (Why does any one get glossy?)
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
Why did you not get glossy? (Why does any one get glossy?)
People who care about color accuracy won't get a glossy screen. Plus, the glossy screen can be a little annoying in some situations (although at max brightness, it's usually not a problem).

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 20:11

Damn you. . .I was convinced tonight to order the new 17" 1900x1200 option and then I read your post. I guess I am going to wait and see this 17" vs. the new 15" side by side and then make an informed decision.

But . . . .glad you like your new machine.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
jjahshik32

2007-06-07, 22:38

man, since i've got this new mbp led screen, I honestly hate using the 20" ACD it looks awful after you use the mbp =/ and I have the newer ACD 20" purchased about 4 months ago.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-07, 22:49

How can you guys view such bright screens? I keep my MacBook at less than 50% most of the time. At night it's still too bright on the lowest setting.


zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 23:00

Well duh! Every REALLY cool Mac user wears sunglasses.

-rookie indeed!
Partial
Stallion

2007-06-08, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

-rookie indeed!

sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-06-08, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
How can you guys view such bright screens? I keep my MacBook at less than 50% most of the time. At night it's still too bright on the lowest setting.
I know what you mean, WR. I can never keep my display at full brightness. I get a headache otherwise.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-08, 02:06

Clearly you are weak or are in dark rooms all the time. There are times that I wish my MBP had a brighter screen, like when the sun is shining into my room (all my windows face southeast so its bright from mid-day till late in the evening).
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-06-08, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Clearly you are weak or are in dark rooms all the time. There are times that I wish my MBP had a brighter screen, like when the sun is shining into my room (all my windows face southeast so its bright from mid-day till late in the evening).
Yeah, that's actually one of the complaints I have of my apt. It's too dark. It gives off an "ambient" effect.. bs.

Last edited by sirnick4 : 2007-06-08 at 02:27.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-06-08, 02:16

Well, on hot days I'd rather have a cool dark apartment than a hot and bright one.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-08, 08:37

No shit. My office needs a duct-fan in the wall just to prevent my G5 from turning it into an inferno. Great in winter, not so great in summer. iSwelter.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-08, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

-rookie indeed!

Indeed.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-06-08, 11:23

Funny, I bet a nerd wrote it to feel better about himself.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-08, 19:02

Macs don't make me feel better than everyone else; just smarter.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-06-10, 20:33

My experience with the new 15"

1. Screen is brighter than I thought in the store, especially when I got home and compared it to my 17" G4 MP (which is three years old.)

2. Screen fires up much more quickly (LED!).

3. Computer flies. . . I installed Parallels 3 with Vista and it really cooks (I was surprised) with just the 2 GB standard RAM>

4. This machine is much more hotter on the bottom than the PB G4.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-11, 20:48

My experiences so far (this is to be my primary work laptop):

1) Build quality / QC pretty good. Screen sets a little uneven when latched.

2) LED screen very bright and crisp, sadly uneven backlighting in bottom right. I think they would give me the "it's within tolerances" BS so I don't think I'm going to bother but there's clearly a muddy spot on the bottom right.

2a) Notice you do have to get the vertical viewing angle just right to see things evenly. Little frustrating but not a deal breaker.

3) Fast. Definitely the fastest Apple laptop I've ever used.

4) Fan (unlike my new MB) is quiet most of the time.

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-06-11, 20:57

My experience:

1)It's FAST. I can compress a 7GB VIDEO_TS in ~9min.

2)Seems built very solidly and well.

3)Runs a lot cooler than my 3yr old PowerBook 15"

4)Fans are quieter at full power

5)Display is A LOT bright, I have it at 12 bars normally instead of 16 like my old pbook

6)I wish the hinge would bend back further. Maybe it's because I broke mine to bend back futher on my pbook, but it would be nice if it would just go a few more degrees back.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-11, 21:44

Do the new LED displays exhibit the "grain"?

I returned a MBP about 3 months ago because the grain was unbearable. I've been a happy MacBook user since. Hopefully the MB can run all the nifty graphics Leopard has!
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2007-06-11, 21:50

What do you mean by "grain"?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-11, 22:02

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=251352
trevo

2007-06-11, 22:42

I really do hope it doesn't, I just took the plunge! Should see it arrive next week, I haven't even seen it in store...
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2007-06-11, 22:53

Ah I see, no. At least mine does not.
jjahshik32

2007-06-11, 23:22

trevo you will not be dissappointed!! I've first bought a 17" last rev. powerbook g4 1.67ghz with the 1680x1050 resolution screen and sold it then bought a macbook pro 15" rev. A when apple first switched to intel, sold that and got the macbook pro core duo 17", sold that and got the macbook core duo sold that, then got the macbook core 2 duo sold that and now I have the macbook pro 15" 2.2 ghz nvidia 8600m gt 128mb vram. And all I can say is that this is the best mac laptop i've owned and the macbook core 2 duo was the 2nd best, but had to return it and paid the difference for this baby! =D.

Now with the new led light, great graphics card, and its even lighter feels like it weighs about the same as a 12" powerbook, and i'm forreal about this. I showed it to my cousin today for the first time and he held it and was shocked that it felt light as his 12" powerbook that he still uses. The screen looks way trimmed down and looks like a bigger version of smaller electronics with led screens. And I think the 2.2ghz mbp 15" is the best deal right now, I honestly think that the extra .2 ghz, 128mb vram, and 40gb more hard drive isnt worth the $500.

Because .2ghz isnt really anything, and barefeats just did a 2.2ghz mbp vs. 2.4ghz mbp and ran the 3d benches on the games and the 2.4ghz overall score was only 6-9% higher, which isnt really anything. Also the harddrive is so easy to install, I already took the 120gb 5400rpm out and added the new hitachi 160gb 7200 rpm in like 20 minutes without voiding your warranty. All you have to do is if you send you laptop in for repair or anything in the future, just put back the stock harddrive and that's it, they wont know the difference =D (done it before)!!

oh and p.s. I own a mac pro quad with ati radeon x1900 (great card!) with 3gb ram (soon to be 7gb, man rams got much cheaper, when I first got those 2gb sticks from axiom I paid $450 and now you can get 4gb for $400 and I recommend them btw, never gave me any errors or problems and the mac pro is constantly running 24/7 doing its thing.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-11, 23:27

Quote:
I've first bought a 17" last rev. powerbook g4 1.67ghz with the 1680x1050 resolution screen and sold it then bought a macbook pro 15" rev. A when apple first switched to intel, sold that and got the macbook pro core duo 17", sold that and got the macbook core duo sold that, then got the macbook core 2 duo sold that and now I have the macbook pro 15" 2.2 ghz nvidia 8600m gt 128mb vram.
Dude, you've got a problem. 6 laptops in 1 year? And I thought *I* was bad.
trevo

2007-06-11, 23:46

Yeah no kidding.... I'm coming from a 17" PB G4 1.67Ghz (1440x900, the one before the last rev). I can't wait! It will just be nice to have a slightly smaller footprint to carry around with the same resolution. I have high hopes for LED backlighting, In the small amount of research I've done. Some people are saying there's no difference some are saying it the best screen they've ever seen.

Hey since you brought it up, do you think it's worth continuously upgrading? Has it cost you more to keep current then buying a new one every few years.

Since we bought G4s back in the day when they were already outdated, how long do you think these latest notebooks will last? I know it's hard to say but 2 years with my G4 and it feels like i'm working on something ancient. I suspect I can go 3-5 years without upgrading for use in Photoshop, Aperture on these latest beasts.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-12, 22:44

I am wondering if there is some issue when calibrating these new LED screens. It's possible the spectrophotometers are not geared to measure their light as precisely as the other screen types, because the result of my eye-1 profiling last night were not great. I can still see a color cast pretty clearly when slightly off-angle. Although this may be the film on the screen and not the light the screen is projecting.

trevo

2007-06-12, 23:15

haha I hope not, that would be last thing I want. A screen with an unforgiving colour cast, that's a pain to calibrate.

What's your method of calibration Moogs?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-06-13, 07:32

I think you'll notice the viewing angle on these screens seems to be noticably better than my PowerBook (2003), however as you go to more of an angle, while you can see still, it does turn a greenish hue.

I will try to calibrate tonight with my LaCie blue eye 2