Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tiger and Mac Mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger and Mac Mini
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
superbob

2005-03-13, 04:20

Will the Mac Mini be able to fully use all the features of Tiger? Like Core Image etc. Does it meet the hardware reqs?

I kinda wanna wait for maybe the next revision of the Mac Mini so that Apple can fix any 1st release issues with it, but I also want it NOW!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-13, 04:38

We don't know.
iross

2005-03-13, 07:39

Mac mini's run tiger fine... the default 256Mb of RAM might want increasing though
FireDancer

2005-03-13, 07:57

Quote:
I kinda wanna wait for maybe the next revision of the Mac Mini so that Apple can fix any 1st release issues with it, but I also want it NOW!
I really want a Mac mini as well but I figured I should wait until Tiger is released and get the mini, Tiger and iLife '05 all together.

Also, while it appears that the mini will run Tiger fine, it doesn't appear to make the minimum requirements for CoreImage...I would expect the next mini update to rectify this issue.
ASZ993

2005-03-13, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer
I really want a Mac mini as well but I figured I should wait until Tiger is released and get the mini, Tiger and iLife '05 all together.

Also, while it appears that the mini will run Tiger fine, it doesn't appear to make the minimum requirements for CoreImage...I would expect the next mini update to rectify this issue.
Core Image is also CPU optimized for unsupported cards, and is optimized for Velocity Engine.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-13, 10:49

To my knowledge, the specs for CI have not been released. They were out a while back, but they've since been removed. I don't know whether that means they'll be increasing or decreasing, but it does mean no one knows for sure.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-13, 10:54

Maybe Apple will write in some special code to make an exception to the "programmable GPU" rule for just the Radeon 9200, since there are so many Radeon 9200s in current Macs. That would be interesting.
FallenFromTheTree

2005-03-13, 11:33

Mac OSX Tigger?

M.007

Send a message via MSN to M.007  
2005-03-13, 13:22

At What price in $ could be the Mac OS Tiger approximatively ??
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-13, 13:31

approximatively?

Probably $129 just like every other OS X release other than 10.1, which was a $20 upgrade for everyone who bought 10.0. But every release of OS X has cost $129, and other than the 10.1 upgrade, there has been no upgrade price for owners of the previous version.
w_parietti22

Send a message via AIM to w_parietti22 Send a message via MSN to w_parietti22  
2005-03-13, 20:08

I know! I'm not updating becuase I don't want to have to pay $129!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-13, 20:29

Well you don't have to pay for it....
BUT YOU SHOULD!

I'll be getting a free retail copy through my work... management just does not know it yet.
(jokes, considering that I don't own a OSX based mac...hehe)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-14, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFromTheTree
Mac OSX Tigger?

OSTigger good for me
Christoph

2005-03-14, 16:49

I'm concerned that the Mac Mini will get an "Optimized for Tiger" overhaul that would make me feel jilted if I were to make the investment now. Does anyone else sense that a hardware update is forthcoming?
FireDancer

2005-03-14, 18:09

Quote:
I'm concerned that the Mac Mini will get an "Optimized for Tiger" overhaul that would make me feel jilted if I were to make the investment now. Does anyone else sense that a hardware update is forthcoming?
I thought the final minimum requirements for Core Image had been released but someone said they haven't.

If it's based on the "old" information from Apple's website then I can't imagine selling a machine that doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

I realize that Tiger will still work......but Core Image is a major new feature in Tiger and I can't see the mini missing out.....especially when Core Image has received so much attention.
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-03-14, 20:55

I imagine Core Image will have full scaling abilities. For example, lets say Core Image needs at least 64MB of dedicated video memory to use all its options. If you have a mac with anywhere from 8mb to 32mb of video memory, you might not see all the little cool effects you'd see with 64mb of memory, but you'd see some of the more "important" ones. So your video card would still be at its full potential, helping take some of the load off the CPU.

I like Bawls and Rocket Fuel! (See http://www.xoxide.com/)

D00D, like 1337 totally man, have you seen Anchorman???
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-03-14, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer
I realize that Tiger will still work......but Core Image is a major new feature in Tiger and I can't see the mini missing out.....especially when Core Image has received so much attention.
Core Image will still work on any G4 system - it'll simply be using the CPU instead of the GPU to do the work.
Wraven

2005-03-14, 23:05

MCQ,
You are exactly correct, in a simplistic way (not saying you are simplistic, just saying the answer may not be 100% black and white). I am GUESSING (as none of really know for sure) that indeed the CPU in an older-GPU system will do some of the processing where necessary, and we all know this results in a performance hit (having to move bits across substrates, interfaces, and system vs. video memory, etc...).

This is where the sticky point lies. Apple may decide a certain effect has a "threshold" of what is considered sufficient framerate-wise and may build in a minimum spec. in certain areas, in order for effects to not result in a 2 frame-per-second bog down (due to this offloading of certain effects to the CPU, especially if the CPU is not up to the task).

Please bear in mind this is only a POSSIBILITY. I sincerely hope Apple does not do this because I would much rather be able to choose what my mini is capable of performing (Core Image effect/feature-wise) instead of Apple dictating it to me in the form of an arbitrary cut-off.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-03-14 at 23:41.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-03-15, 00:19

Yes, it's highly likely that there could be some sort of "artificial" barrier placed in on ability based on the system specs, it'll be hard to tell. For the vast majority of people, it doesn't matter all that much since many of the effects achieved by CI won't be used in consumer level apps. So, I'm not convinced right now that the people asking for a CI capable video card to "have an optimal Tiger experience" actually need it.

Now, Quartz 2D Extreme is probably what most people would benefit from, and I suspect that the general requirements for the GPU will be similar to CI. That's a whole other can of worms though.
Wraven

2005-03-15, 08:17

MCQ,
I am glad you see my point. It IS a possibility, but I agree that Quartz 2D Extreme will be the "big feature". And my points above MAY hold for that as well. This is all speculation until Tiger is actually dropped.

Cheers,
Wraven
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-03-16, 02:36

OS X Tigger:

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I'm the only one

Is Tiggers are wonderful chaps
They're loaded with vim and with vigor
They love to leap in your laps
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
Is I'm the only one

Tiggers are wonderful fellahs
Tiggers are awfully sweet
Everyone elses is jealous
And thats why I repeat

Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
Is I'm the only one
Yes, I'm the only one
(Grrrrrr...)

(sorry i just had to)
yanges

2005-03-24, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by iross
Mac mini's run tiger fine... the default 256Mb of RAM might want increasing though
if that is true, then why does ThinkSecret say in a recent article:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503imacemac.html

that the eMac might get an updated video card to handle Core image?

and why isn't the Mini mentioned for a revision if the eMac is?

sounds like the same should be true for the Mini?
jeannot

2005-03-24, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbob
Will the Mac Mini be able to fully use all the features of Tiger? Like Core Image etc. Does it meet the hardware reqs?

Since CoreImage only requires a G4, the mac mini will be able to take advantage of it, but filters and effects won't be accelerated by your GPU (only by altivec).
I'm afraid that quartz 2D extreme won't work either on the mac mini, because it needs a "programmable GPU" (i.e. radeon 9600, geforce 5200 or later).

EDIT : oops, this has already been posted.
sampleguy

2005-03-24, 13:03

Quote:
sounds like the same should be true for the Mini
maybe becuase the mini just shipped?
wizard69

2005-03-25, 09:27

As others have pointed out the Mini's support of some of the technology coming in Tiger is unknown at this time. Other have already pointed this out. On the otherhand it is a simple machine, at the lower end of the current performance spectrum, one shouldn't expect alot out of it with Tiger. Possibly the greatest limitation with this machine is the lack of RAM expansion and I/O ports.

I know many have dwelled on the Mini's video subsystem which will certainly impact a couple of "CORE" features but do realize that at the price we are being charged a real GPU chip of any kind is unusual. So I would look at the system and its other limitation with respect to HOW YOU intend to use Tiger before I got entrenched in one position or another.

As to first releases, from what I've seen so far it appears that Apple got this model right from the getgo. So I don't expect a rev-b to solve any technical problems. I would expect though that we may see either an enhanced model or another added to the family (at a slightly higher cost of course). In a very short period of time we should be able to buy a dual processor (via a dual core chip) Mini with hopefully slightly better arraingement of I/O and memory. The base machine should see a significant processor boost of its own.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbob

bostongeek

2005-03-25, 10:46

Have there been any system requirements/recommendations posted yet? Does anyone who has received a copy via the development program have information concerning this (of course, without breaking an NDA)?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-25, 10:50

no no no no no no no no no no no no

its been discussed, no one actually knows for sure
yanges

2005-03-25, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69
As others have pointed out the Mini's support of some of the technology coming in Tiger is unknown at this time. Other have already pointed this out. On the otherhand it is a simple machine, at the lower end of the current performance spectrum, one shouldn't expect alot out of it with Tiger. Possibly the greatest limitation with this machine is the lack of RAM expansion and I/O ports.

I know many have dwelled on the Mini's video subsystem which will certainly impact a couple of "CORE" features but do realize that at the price we are being charged a real GPU chip of any kind is unusual. So I would look at the system and its other limitation with respect to HOW YOU intend to use Tiger before I got entrenched in one position or another.

As to first releases, from what I've seen so far it appears that Apple got this model right from the getgo. So I don't expect a rev-b to solve any technical problems. I would expect though that we may see either an enhanced model or another added to the family (at a slightly higher cost of course). In a very short period of time we should be able to buy a dual processor (via a dual core chip) Mini with hopefully slightly better arraingement of I/O and memory. The base machine should see a significant processor boost of its own.

Dave
i still say if the eMac is getting a revision to better handle Tiger, then the Mini should too!

as for Ram expansion, isn't 1gb enough? i think that is more than sufficient...

the next few months should be interesting :smokey:
wizard69

2005-03-25, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanges
i still say if the eMac is getting a revision to better handle Tiger, then the Mini should too!
Well as a platform I espect the Mini to get many upgrades over its life time. You are making an assumption though that the Mini can't handle Tiger. All public data indicates that it can.
Quote:

as for Ram expansion, isn't 1gb enough? i think that is more than sufficient...
NO it isn't!!!!! Frankly you seem to be hung up on one aspect of the platform. There are many things that are important with respect to a machines performance. One item that can have a very significant impact is memory, I would consider this to be the number one issue with respect to the Mini. Sure a better Video subsystem is always nice too but it is just one aspct of the system that could use improvment and I would consider USB port improvements more important than the GPU.
Quote:
the next few months should be interesting :smokey:
Yes it will. I expect that by christmas time just about everything that Apple produces will be new or improved. In some cases vastly improved.

Thanks
Dave
Snoopy

2005-03-26, 11:34

I have generally agreed with your posted opinions, but disagree with your response to "isn't 1 GB enough?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69

NO it isn't!!!!!
Sure, the mini can do many jobs, and some of them might be greatly helped with more RAM. But for the mini's intended markets the RAM is sufficient. I doubt Apple loses more than a percent of potential mini sales due to the 1 GB RAM limit, and Apple cannot keep up with its current demand yet. Also, I believe 2 GB RAM strips are in the works and we will see them within six months for the mini.