Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Sob. . . No iBook for \/\/ickes :(

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sob. . . No iBook for \/\/ickes :(
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-04, 22:34

So I am off getting a few certs this summer. . . and my grandfather had set some money away for me, for when ever I needed it.

Back in 2000, he put four grand into a savings bond. We expected the bond to do well, but it was a high risk investment and the bond dropped to twenty six hundred as of when we cashed it. On top of that, my grandfather needed fifteen hundred to pay off some dept.

I thought that I would be getting well above four grand. . . which would allow me to pay for getting about six certifications, a new iBook (used as a study aid) and a lot left over for whatever I needed.

What I got in the end, was eleven hundred. It covers a few certs (maybe three), and some study guides. . . but that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY thankful for the eleven hundred. It could have been worse and my grandfather did not have to do this in the first place. I am just disapointed that the market nearly ate the bond all together.

So no iBook for \/\/ickes. I'll have to save up for one, and seeing how I am living from paycheck to paycheck. . . that's not going to happen anytime soon. I still need a laptop, so if I do end up saving for one, I can see myself getting a used thinkpad and putting Gentoo on it. I mean, if I had the money I would still go for the iBook, but the iBook is to expensive to save for right now.

PS. The iBook/prize thing is still on. . . keep the guesses coming.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 22:40

Which iBook was it, the 12"?

It's EXACTLY these kinds of moments that I wish I was just filthy rich. Since you're obviously striving for something - and doing the paycheck to paycheck thing - I'd love to just be able to surprise you with one. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could.

I'd love to win the lottery, just so I could do cool, random stuff like this.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-04, 23:09

That sucks \/\/ickes. Hang in there, you'll be able to get what you want eventually. Good things come to those who blah, blah and all that BS.

I know you're going to hate me but I just picked up a 12" iBook from my local Apple Store a couple of days ago and it's really nice.
The good news is that once you can afford one, it'll be better and faster than mine because I'm sure updates are right around the corner.

Buck up my friend! You're young. You'll one day probably get a great job that'll allow you to buy fun things from Apple.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-04, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Which iBook was it, the 12"?
Yes, I was aiming for the 12" with extra ram, AE, 40gig hdd. . . etc. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
It's EXACTLY these kinds of moments that I wish I was just filthy rich. Since you're obviously striving for something - and doing the paycheck to paycheck thing - I'd love to just be able to surprise you with one. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could.

I'd love to win the lottery, just so I could do cool, random stuff like this.

That is very nice of you to say. . .
I started this thread because I made note of my plans re: getting a new iBook in a few threads and thought that I would tell people how the plans fell out of my hands.

And yes, I am striving for new apple hardware. . . my home has yet to be blessed with OSX, and the family iMac (CRT, tray, rev.d) is showing it's age.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-04, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Buck up my friend! You're young. You'll one day probably get a great job that'll allow you to buy fun things from Apple.
In all hopes, that would be nice.
I have some mixed plans for my future. . . but none tie me down so I feel that my working life will be filled good things.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-05, 00:23

Wow, that sucks.

Hopefully you'll land a decent job at some point soon and it will all be OK.