User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Incremental back ups to CD, confused...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Incremental back ups to CD, confused...
scubaski

2006-09-01, 13:27

Could you please confirm that I got the right back up settings/approach.

1. iTunes: I do a playlist of the songs to be backed up and burn a data disk. I read in the iLounge Guide that this does NOT back up ratings and comments and that I need to save 2 other files in my Music directory, which I used to do in the past but which I cannot find there anymore. Have these 2 files now been dropped in the latest version of iTunes? Is now all the songs' info included in the playlist?

2. Safari: I link my burn folder to the .plist (alias) and this will then burn the latest version of my bookmarks every time I burn a CD.

3. iCal and adress book: These do NOT work like Safari. Here I need File>back up EVERY time I want to burn the current version of my data.

Thanks for your help, as always.

iBook 12" 1.33GHz G4 1GB 60GB OS X 10.4.11, iPod Nano 8GB 2G, Canon Ixus Digital 40
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-01, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post
1. iTunes: I do a playlist of the songs to be backed up and burn a data disk. I read in the iLounge Guide that this does NOT back up ratings and comments and that I need to save 2 other files in my Music directory, which I used to do in the past but which I cannot find there anymore. Have these 2 files now been dropped in the latest version of iTunes? Is now all the songs' info included in the playlist?
Those "other files" are the library definition files. The ratings and play counts are not stored in the individual song files themselves but in the central library files. The comments and most (if not all) of the other fields, however, should be stored in the individual songs files.

Quote:
2. Safari: I link my burn folder to the .plist (alias) and this will then burn the latest version of my bookmarks every time I burn a CD.
That sounds right.

Quote:
3. iCal and adress book: These do NOT work like Safari. Here I need File>back up EVERY time I want to burn the current version of my data.
To back up iCal's data, I believe you only need these files:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist
~/Library/Application Support/iCal/

To back up Address Book's data, I believe you only need these files:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist (if it exists)
~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.