Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Cinema Displays

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Cinema Displays
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
surjones

2008-08-13, 11:07

I know this has been covered in the past. I thought I would revive this topic with hopes that we can get some new information going. I traded my G5 dual 2.5 with 23" cinema display (with about 50,000 hour on each for a new MacBookPro Jan08. Reason for me doing so is to be able to get myself in a position to buy a new Cinema Display and maybe a MacPro. (I still like the G5 name better) But I have been putting off my purchasing until the new Cinema Displays come out. So what do you guys think. When, what improvments, sizes, etc.????

Another question is well that is all fine and dandy, but what other monitors making company are leading the way without the apple price tag. (I dont mind paying apples prices, but If I that just frees a bit more budget.) (I come for the school of theory that you need to make an impression on a client. You cant be a realtor showing up in a beat up 87 AstroVan.) lol
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-13, 11:49

Apple's never going to improve their Cinema Displays. Just get a different brand like Samsung or DoubleSight. They sell their monitors for realistic prices.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-08-13, 11:53

Benq also makes nice looking & nice performing monitors.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-13, 12:18

If you are fine with TN panels, that is.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-08-13, 12:24

According to Macrumors Apple is going to update its displays in Jan 09. With LED backlit displays or so the rumour goes.

If you are looking for something in the mean time that has the quality of an ACD, i think the NEC 2490WUXI is the next best thing. Although they do not sell that model in Europe for some crazy reason.

There are a few other displays the IPS panel but most displays on the market are TN or PVA panels are good for non photo work but if you need colour accuracy or don't like your movies to change colour depending on your viewing angle an IPS is the only way to go.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-08-13, 12:33

HP introduced some new displays earlier this week.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/11/h...libration-kit/

Sounds like the 24" LCD ($649) is using an S-IPS panel.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-13, 12:39

IPS is good but it's not worth buying an Apple Cinema Display over. Look for other companies that sell IPS monitors for half as much as Apple charges, like that HP. I have a TN monitor myself and I love it, but I'm not doing anything big with it. Just general home computer use.

It's really the panel itself, and not the company, that you should look at. None of these companies make their own panels anyway.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-08-13, 13:03

Wouldn't that mean your monitor was on 24x7 for almost 6 years?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-13, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
IPS is good but it's not worth buying an Apple Cinema Display over. Look for other companies that sell IPS monitors for half as much as Apple charges, like that HP. I have a TN monitor myself and I love it, but I'm not doing anything big with it. Just general home computer use.

It's really the panel itself, and not the company, that you should look at. None of these companies make their own panels anyway.
Samsung does make panels, although not as many as they used to. I believe the main panel makers are Samsung, LG, and another one that I cannot remember.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-08-13, 16:03

Quote:

Apple 23" ACD = £599
HP LP2480zx = £2039

OK i have just realised that there are two very similar HP 24' monitors, i picked the ridiculously expensive one. Oh well i am well tired thats my excuse.

So HP LP2475W = £562.00 and looks so ugly it would make you cry. I would spend the extra 30 quid and buy the Apple.

Last edited by nikstar101 : 2008-08-13 at 16:13. Reason: edited to stop me looking like a complete fool. Now only a slight idiot
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-13, 16:13

It's different when you're in the UK. In the US, the Apple is $1300 and the HP that MCQ linked to is $650, exactly half as much.

The 2480zx is a much superior monitor to the Apple Cinema Display in every aspect except outward appearance, at the same price.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-08-13, 17:33

Quote:
It's different when you're in the UK. In the US, the Apple is $1300 and the HP that MCQ linked to is $650, exactly half as much.
Hm? The 23" ACD is US $899.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-13, 17:48

Ah... hahaha! Whoops. It was $1300 a long time ago. It's $900 now, yeah. Not sure why I got tripped up there. But $900 still puts it a solid $200 ($300 if you count the fact that it has a one-year warranty and extending it to three years to match all its competitors, even cheapie TN panels, costs an extra $100) above other high-quality LCDs.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-14, 09:19

Waiting on Apple to update their displays is a big mistake. Even when they do update them, they're not likely to be competitive with the best models out there in terms of price and performance.

If you want color critical for creative stuff, Apple is the wrong way to go anyway. Eizo, LaCie and NEC are the clear market leaders in this category, and in approximately that order if you take the sum total of their offerings into consideration. The best combination of price and performance among these (and nice design) is definitely LaCie. Their 324 is about as good a value as you can find from any company. Sleek, very good color and video performance, and a very reasonable price. Some Eizo models are better but they're twice as expensive for another 10% of performance, and NECs are often bulky and clunky looking despite their good screen performance.

There is a new 30" model from NEC that looks amazing though. Pretty much covers the entire Adobe RGB gamut, 100% NTSC gamut, has a huge amount of screen real estate (2560x1600), swivels vertical and is just under $2000 street price I think.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/P...3-74c35a363b57

If Apple makes something like this and sells it for $2000 or less I'll eat my hat.

...into the light of a dark black night.
faust

2008-08-14, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
According to Macrumors Apple is going to update its displays in Jan 09. With LED backlit displays or so the rumour goes.

If you are looking for something in the mean time that has the quality of an ACD, i think the NEC 2490WUXI is the next best thing. Although they do not sell that model in Europe for some crazy reason.

There are a few other displays the IPS panel but most displays on the market are TN or PVA panels are good for non photo work but if you need colour accuracy or don't like your movies to change colour depending on your viewing angle an IPS is the only way to go.
I hear this rumor when the date was Jan 08.

You know when they'll come out? 30 days after I give up and go with a unit from Dell or HP. Mark my words
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-08-14, 10:35

Mind biting that bullet for the rest of our sakes?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-14, 11:19

Moogs is right, the Apple LCDs are always two or three years behind in technology, even when they are refreshed. I think the current one have a 400:1 contrast ratio... YIKES!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-08-14, 13:01

I'm currently trying to decide just how much I'm willing to put down on a monitor. My 1280 x 1024 LCD is looking more and more restrictive size-wise. My hi-res MBP is spoiling me.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-08-14, 13:05

Even $250 will buy you a 22" widescreen with 1680x1050 native resolution. It'll be a TN monitor, sure, but they're not as bad as people say they are. You wouldn't use it for color-critical work, but for general use they're great. $350-$400 should get you a 24" widescreen at 1920x1200.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-08-14, 13:24

How can you tell if an LCD monitor is TN (??) or IPS (??) or whatever. Is that typically in the specs of the monitor? WTHeck? Is there some Online Guide to LCD Monitor Purchaing somewhere?

Ugh.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-08-14, 13:51

Easy, if its under $350, its TN for sure... Look up the specs of the monitor. Ones that are IPS will tell you.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-08-14, 14:27

30" FTW. Although I'm unsure of the effect of exchanging 2x 23" for one 30". In any case, 24">30" was massive.

Also, you should be really careful in regards to which monitor you get. High Gamut is not a good thing, unless you're a photographer and print your pictures.

Converted 07/2005.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-14, 16:15

Not Apple's 30". POS for the money...
Frank777
Veteran Member

2008-08-14, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
How can you tell if an LCD monitor is TN (??) or IPS (??) or whatever. Is that typically in the specs of the monitor? WTHeck? Is there some Online Guide to LCD Monitor Purchaing somewhere?
This is a big problem for people looking for professional-level displays. I've seen displays at Costco, and Best Buy that I might be interested in, but it's never stated whether they are the higher quality (IPS) panels. And so I've walked away.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-08-14, 22:17

I'm not as worried about color gamut as I am reliability, brightness, and real estate. I'm probably going for dual-screen, but it's the decision as to whether I need two 1680x1050 native, or two 1920x1200 native. I do a shitton with Logic and several plug-ins with Guitar Amp Pro, and while Spaces gets me by for now, I'd rather have Spaces set for different uses entirely instead of going between two parts of the same suite. I'm apprehensive about going lower cost (aka lower quality) again, however, as after only 3 years, I'm seeing several dead pixels, fluctuating brightness, etc. I'll have to make up my mind on the resolution, though 1680x1050 is probably just fine. If I could see what it would look like on my desk and get a feel for both respective sizes, it would make the decision far easier. Regardless, thanks for the advice.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-14, 23:56

Quote:
Funny you ask...

The Be-All, End-All discussion on LCD monitors and LCD panel types.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-08-15, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I remember that thread, but... it's not quite the Online Guide to LCD Monitor Purchasing. Yes, you'll learn (all) about LCD monitors, but not how to identify the different kinds when purchasing.

I guess you just have to find a monitor you think looks good and is priced right and then hit Google to try to find out if it's IPS. That's no fun. Who wants to take a giant Google break when shopping? If I'm at the CostCoBuyMart and I see a pretty screen, I want to buy it right then.

Ugh.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-08-15, 07:36

Quote:
If I'm at the CostCoBuyMart and I see a pretty screen, I want to buy it right then.
Often, displays are made with whatever panel is the cheapest/most available at the moment of production. Dell and Samsung both (and probably many others too) have several models which can have both IPS, TN and *VA panels inside the box with no way of knowing what's on the inside. Dell especially is good at making the first batch with IPS panels, and then later cutting corners with *VA or TN panels.
Your only hope is sites with databases of the panels inside various monitors, or good, proper reviews.
Iven if you get them to demo the screen, the chances of picking out a good screen in-store are in fact often negative. Store and home conditions are two very different places.

Converted 07/2005.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2008-08-16, 02:46

An excellent source for information on monitors and TV sets is www.prad.de.
It's a german site, but via Google Translate, it seems to be quite usable in english, too (for some reason, the most interesting link is not translated: 'Kaufberatung' means 'purchase advice')

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-08-16, 18:12

I was going to start a new thread to ask this, but this thread kinda got away from Cinema Displays, is the most recent discussion of LCD displays and I need to get a 1920x1200 LCD monitor... so... anybody have any thoughts on this one: Dell 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

edit: OK, never mind that one; it's TN. This one is S-PVA. Is that good for the price?

Ugh.

Last edited by spotcatbug : 2008-08-16 at 19:25.