User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

So...what was your Apple-y Christmas/holiday like?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So...what was your Apple-y Christmas/holiday like?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-28, 10:46

Just curious what folks got this year, Apple-wise?

Anything? Nothing? Accessories? iPhone? MacBook? AirPods? A Magsafe something-or-other? Gift card? The coveted Apple polishing cloth?

Share below, I like hearing this sort of thing. This sort of thing is my bag, baby. 🤓

If it's some third-party accessory that directly ties into/impacts your Apple product in some real way, those are allowed too, I suppose. But I'm mainly interested in just the Apple stuff, so don't get too crazy in your definition of "third-party add-ons/accessories".

Me? Nothing Apple-related (although, looking back, I probably should've asked for a USB-to-Lightning cable).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-28 at 11:23. Reason: I can't not spell no more gooder, but my grammar am impeccable!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-28, 11:44

Didn't get anything Apple related. Did get a police baton.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-28, 11:58

Well, you never know when you may have to beat some deserving dickwit about the head/torso for any number of reasons (2021 has provided thousands; can't imagine 2022 being much different). You'll be glad to have it if/when that day ever arrives.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-28, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Just curious what folks got this year, Apple-wise?

Anything? Nothing? Accessories? iPhone? MacBook? AirPods? A Magsafe something-or-other? Gift card? The coveted Apple polishing cloth?
Does both of my Apple Watches breaking in early December count?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-28, 13:57

Same as Chucker - does my Apple Watch count as an early Xmas gift to myself?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-28, 16:33

My parents got themselves two M1 Mac Mini's for Christmas. Nothing for me, okay I got an Apple gift card.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-28, 17:03

That's pretty cool!

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I'm trying to get my Dad to replace his 2010(!) (it seems I come by it genetically) 15" MacBook Pro with a new M1 mini (refurb or otherwise). He's the perfect case for it because a) he never uses his MacBook as a portable...it sits on his desk 24/7 acting like a really flat, wide Mac mini...so why not get the real thing? and b) due to "a", he's already got the whole BYOKDM thing working...a nice 23" Samsung display, an Apple keyboard that he loves and a third-party mouse that he's happy with. For $600-800 he could slide in a new, spiffy (and modern) Mac that he'd enjoy using again. His MacBook, as you might expect, is pretty much unusable...takes 400 years to boot up, 200 to wake up, 100 to open a window or respond to anything. He's about six-generations back in OS X/macOS; a 4200rpm hard drive in a world that long ago went to SSD.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-28, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
That's pretty cool!

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I'm trying to get my Dad to replace his 2010(!) (it seems I come by it genetically) 15" MacBook Pro with a new M1 mini (refurb or otherwise). He's the perfect case for it because a) he never uses his MacBook as a portable...it sits on his desk 24/7 acting like a really flat, wide Mac mini...so why not get the real thing? and b) due to "a", he's already got the whole BYOKDM thing working...a nice 23" Samsung display, an Apple keyboard that he loves and a third-party mouse that he's happy with. For $600-800 he could slide in a new, spiffy (and modern) Mac that he'd enjoy using again. His MacBook, as you might expect, is pretty much unusable...takes 400 years to boot up, 200 to wake up, 100 to open a window or respond to anything
Yup, like your Dad they were rocking some old hardware, a late 2009 iMac they got themselves new, and the 2011 iMac I gave them three years ago. Now all I have to do is help them find a webcam since my Dad does a lot of Zoom stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-28, 18:05

It’s a shame Apple, with all their mighty camera tech/processing and that center stage stuff, etc. doesn’t feel the need to bring back their iSight in a new, updated design with all the specs, features of the cameras in their other devices, Macs and iOS.

Make it cross-platform and tap into that COVID/Zoom/work from home world it’s become and be the best webcam out there, the iPhone of that category, to where even hardcore Windows users realize it’s the one to own/use.

They’re leaving money on the table, IMO.

Ugh…I’m detailing my own thread.

So, what Apple-ness did everyone get for Christmas?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-11, 10:54

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a slick web-cam and mic combo that was good enough to take a YouTube quality live-video and audio feed. Something that could do some spatial audio and noise cancelling tricks so maybe more than one person could be properly heard/located in the sound-field along with standard noise cancelling and maybe dual cameras (borrowed from an iPhone model? ) that could do three things well: (1) use a stereo-image info to give a really good green screen effect for video backgrounds. (2) Shoot a wide shot with more people in the frame, (3) based on movement and sound data picked up by the cameras and mics, able to automagically punch in and pan the crop to track one speaker or another, like your own little magical studio?

Aesthetics? I see a 4-5" flat disc reminiscent of a pop-filter but perhaps made of a uniform transluscent grey/white material. A true tone LED ring light around the perimeter, cameras hole punched through the middle, mic array embedded behind the frosted material. From the back it just looks like a disc with a big apple logo on it. Whole thing just looks a bit like a lollipop.