AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Kramer loses it live

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kramer loses it live
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-20, 15:59

I got this story from www.buzzfeed.com (which is a great site to document the zeitgeist) - here's a link to the actual incident. http://www.ifilm.com/video/2798666
WARNING - contains swearing ... but subtitles are provided if you are at work and don't want the sound to play.

What a disgrace.

I truly think what the guy said at the end, as he left, summed it up best.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-20, 16:13

Ok, I'm not even going try and explain this.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-11-20, 16:17

He graduated from the college I'm attending. The college I'm attending is renowned for being progressive, accepting, open-minded, liberal, non-discriminating...etc. Funny that.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-20, 17:05

ouch.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-20, 17:08

Doesn't even look like he was under the influence of anything, except maybe his subconscious.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-20, 17:10

wow. I don't know what to say. I'm a seinfeld fan too.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-20, 17:23

Tumbleweed.

(Tries too hard)
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-11-20, 19:00

Bill Hicks handles hecklers much, much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzIQPBVQm_k
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-20, 19:34

... his "freebird" spiel is pretty vindictive too.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-11-20, 19:35

</shark></jump>
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-11-20, 19:42

This will forever taint every rerun of Seinfeld I ever watch.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-20, 20:12

I'm not even going to watch it. Ignorance is bliss in this case.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-11-20, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
I'm not even going to watch it. Ignorance is bliss in this case.
Yeah, you can learn all you need to know by reading what's been posted here so far.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-11-20, 20:23

Watch Letterman tonight for the "Tearful" apology.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 20:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eDrfLe9m18&NR
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
I have to say that this is on my mind as well. Sad.
¡Damned!

2006-11-20, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Indeed. Honestly, Richards is one of the best physical comics out there, but this tirade just blows it all away. It's a damn shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
I'd not like to be in Jerry's place right now. It's been a while since he's been on Letterman (or any late-nite show as I can remember) and this will come up. Even if he hasn't worked with the guy in years, he's associated by the success of the show. I fully expect him to just throw up his hands with this. I mean, what can he possibly say? Nothing's going to redeem Richards at this point. He's well and truly fucked (by himself no less). Again, as Chinney said, it's sad.

So it goes.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2006-11-20, 22:55

That's just really unsettling. I would be so upset had I been there. And frankly, as disturbing as the "n" word usage was (and that was quite disturbing) the first thing he said, about them hanging from the tree, was really bad just in and of itself. I mean, he's talking about lynching...and then with the constant "n-word" after that...I'm kind of surprised that no one went after him as he walked out.

I don't know how you come back from something like that. I mean, how do you even show your face again? I really would never have expected something like that, especially from him.

Edit: apparently he did a satellite feed on the Letterman show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112000401.html

Last edited by Naderfan : 2006-11-20 at 23:02.
¡Damned!

2006-11-20, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
Goddamned if you're not right. I just took a look at the Letterman site and there's already a clip.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-11-20, 23:34

Holy shit. That is just completely off the wall retarded. He deserves a serious ass-beating.

People on the news are saying "uh, his career is over".

NOoooo?! Ya think, stupid fucks? It was over *before* he did this. At this point, if I'm him, I'm worried about living till next year, not my career. There are plenty of people that would love to kill his dumb ass for that.

The sickest part though, are the jackasses laughing so hard when he tells his "hang upside down" joke (and they knew damn well what he was saying), and then go "oooo, bad" when he calls the guys ni----. Fucking hypocrit scumbags. Too bad those losers aren't on camera too so they can lose their shirts also. Would be well deserved. OK to laugh at lynching jokes, not OK to laugh at "the n word"? Oh me oh my... you're so righteous you "enlightened" SoCal retards. In the spirit of Bill Hicks, those people need to go fuck themselves with a belt sander and die.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2006-11-20, 23:42

^^The laughing of the audience really unnerved me too...the only thing I could think of was that they didn't realize he was serious...that the audience was just, uh, "slow" and took them a bit to figure out what was going on. There were still people chuckling during "n word" parts. I don't know if it was just that they were in an auto-laugh zone (not an excuse, but easier to handle than option 2) or they're just as racist. Scary either way.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-11-20, 23:57

Oh they're probably not racist in the Sheriff Stuckey sense of the word, but you can bet your ass that's the same bunch of people in every office and every neighborhood that make monkey jokes when they're watching the game together on TV, etc.

I suppose it's possible some were laughing in shock, but then why do they keep laughing... bottom line they deserve to be clubbed.

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-21, 00:09

At first I thought that he was doing some sort of strange street theater, that would end up making a point about human nature, and that the guy he was yelling at was part of the setup. You have the feeling that "This couldn't possibly be real", which makes me want to give the audience a little slack.

I *did* notice that the nervous laughter begins turning into an exodus after the shock wears off... better than nothing. And you really can't see the people's faces... plus camcorders (or probably a Point-and-Shoot in movie mode) are notorious for terrible sound. You'd need to see a video of the audience from Michaels' point of view.

I had no clue what the "upside down" comment was about until he started calling people Niggers. (I'm not censoring it, because that's what he did. It's just a word until you put intent behind it, which he clearly did.)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Partial
Stallion

2006-11-21, 00:13

everyone's a little bit racist

Last edited by Partial : 2006-11-21 at 00:13. Reason: google search it
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-21, 00:17

Moogs - I think Naderfan is onto something. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but perhaps the audience were caught initially in a "this is part of the show" mindset and could not switch gears fast enough to realise what was going on. Doesn't excuse it though ... just trying to think why they'd do that. Thankfully, in the end, a lot of people got up to leave.

It still blows my mind though, and there are many thoughts I have right now.

First, I just spent the better part of my morning with You Tube and Bill Hicks. Thanks murbot for the link. I'm disarmed by his conviction and honesty - he goes where I dare not and, in terms of communication, that is something I admire.

That said, he doesn't mind working blue ... which is in stark contrast to Seinfeld. Considering Richards' implosion, (no surprise - we had him as a guest on morning radio two years ago in Melbourne and he was a dick) I now have more respect for Jerry - his sense of timing was superb and this encapsulates being satisfied with who he is I presume. No need to look for affirmation from anyone. He knew when enough was enough. That's admirable too.

The question I have now is based on how this has tarnished my view of "Seinfeld" the show. I want to know have there been other incidences of actors' or actress' personal lives ruining their character on a show? I mean, I loved Get Smart as a kid, but knew nothing about the alter egos. Are there other examples of this sort of thing in comedy? The only one I can think of presently is Andy Kaufman and his character in Taxi. (Another pusher of communication and audience acceptance/questioning of belief ... I liked what I saw and read about him though, as opposed to Richards.)

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2006-11-21 at 00:23.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2006-11-21, 00:35

Mac+, the only thing I could think of (and I admittedly am not at all in the know when it comes to TV/Movies) is Tom Cruise and his recent Scientology craze that led to him being kind of shunned...but I don't know if that's really comprable.

And also, I too was glad to see people getting up and leaving, plus the one guy who started shouting back. I can only imagine that some people just weren't sure what else to do so they laughed. Definitely not the right reaction, but i'll bet the utter shock of a famous person starting to shout racist slurs at a couple of hecklers threw them off for a bit.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-21, 00:41

Naderfan - Yeah that Cruise thing was just dumb, wasn't it? This is a totally different level of career annihilation. Thanks for getting back to me on it though.

As for those getting up and leaving, I took the one who started to shout back as being the catalyst for Richards' diatribe in the first place. At any rate it was good that this person expressed himself clearly in the face of such drivel.

twitter
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-11-21, 04:46

A well known example is Bob Crane of Hogan's Heroes fame.
Is it 1981?

2006-11-21, 05:57

The reports make Richards out to be a blithering racist idiot, but in fact the video shows he's an imcompetant racist moron.

And as with Naderfan and Mac+, I understand the slow reaction/ realisation of the audience though - with it being a comedy club and all. I'm also glad most of the audience started leaving once what was said had dawned on them.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2006-11-21, 07:33

oh, I thought the shouting-back guy was different...he seemed to be on the other side of the stage from the original offenders. But who knows. (And really, not that big of a deal.)