Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Friend's iBook Going Wild

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Friend's iBook Going Wild
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-11, 15:03

My friend has an iBook, 1.2 GHz G4, latest version of OS X. Everything was fine for him and his iBook up until he installed the newest version of OS X. I ran the disk utilities on his computer because it has slowed to a crawl. It seems like it is constantly accessing the disk and something is terribly wrong. It is just very slow and awful to use. Is something wrong with the hard drive? It does not make any loud clicking noises, but if you listen closely you can hear it making some sort of accessing sound.

Reinstall the OS?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-11, 15:05

Tried rebooting it?

Running top to see what process is running bonkers?

Tried lsof to see what process is accessing which files?

Tons of things to try before the slash and burn of a reinstall... :P
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-11, 15:35

I did the disk utility functions. Restarted. Still slow.

I then zapped the PRAM, still slow.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-11, 15:43

How much RAM?

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if it's any different? Hold shift as it boots.

Also, have you checked the StartupItems folders and the System Prefs -> Accounts to make sure nothing is loading in the background?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-11-11, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Tried rebooting it?

Running top to see what process is running bonkers?

Tried lsof to see what process is accessing which files?

Tons of things to try before the slash and burn of a reinstall... :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahtosh
I did the disk utility functions. Restarted. Still slow.

I then zapped the PRAM, still slow
So no, then? Try these things first.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-11, 16:02

Duh, why didn't I move this to the Genius Bar earlier?

M'tosh: Go through the Genius Bar FAQ thread and try all of the steps there for anomalous behaviors.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-11, 21:06

His SMART disk status is "failing." I assume this is terribly bad, so I'm going to have Ryan call Apple in the morning and get it shipped off to be fixed. At least it's under warranty.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-11-11, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
His SMART disk status is "failing." I assume this is terribly bad, so I'm going to have Ryan call Apple in the morning and get it shipped off to be fixed. At least it's under warranty.
Yep.
You or he should back up the Home folder contents, if you can.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-11, 22:08

If the SMART status is failing, I cannot emphasize enough the urgency of immediately backing up anything important to another computer, drive, or CD/DVD-Rs.

If you ship it to Apple, they may not be able to (or simply won't) transfer everything to a new drive for him. It is important that you act now. Not in an hour, not tomorrow, not over the weekend: now!!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-12, 10:13

I backed up his data to my external Lacie 160 GB disk, and we'll call Apple today to get the thing taken care of.

I wonder if he just had a lemon HD?

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-11-12, 10:24

Quote:
I backed up his data to my external Lacie 160 GB disk, and we'll call Apple today to get the thing taken care of.

well.... yeah.
"that's what warranties are for"
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-12, 17:59

Quote:

<takes a bow>

Glad you got things worked out Messiah.