AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Port forwarding and rendezvous

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Port forwarding and rendezvous
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-12-01, 13:37

Any idea on how to make these two play nice?

I've got a wireless router in my office now and I'd like to be able to use the rendezvous naming to get to my computers. Ex. My laptop is called "minnie". When I was hooked directly into the network (no router), I could just type "minnie.local." in the go to server dialog box and connect. Now I've got to give the full name to get there. Not a biggie but not as nice as the rendezvous solution (also, it messes up Rendezvous iChatting). Any ideas?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-01, 16:10

You have to get a program called Network Beacon (formerly Rendezvous Beacon) and set it up. After much struggling, I managed to get iTunes streaming to work outside my LAN, but I can't remember how. I believe each service needs its own "beacon."

I'll try to find the instructions.

Ah, I do remember one thing now. I ended up having to do some back-asswards tinkering and eventually had to pipe it over SSH. It was a major pain in the butt, let me tell you, especially since you can't exactly test this while you're on the LAN.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-12-01, 16:11

I may be wrong, but I believe that Rendezvous relies on TTL 1 packets. That is, once they go through a single gateway (router) they are discarded.

I've read about Rendezvous Beacon, and other stuff like it, but never took the time to try and set something like it up.

The easiest solution I've come across is to physically cross your networks. That means that if your wireless router has wired ports on it, simply connect that back into a hub on the main network. It sounds like it's bad, and it does mess with your network a bit (if you have DHCP turned on, the two routers compete to give out their IPs... and it's completely random as to which IP subnet a computer gets connected to. If it's only your computer on the wireless, it would do you good to turn off DHCP. I'm sure IT guys still wouldn't like it, though). Now, since the wireless router also works as a hub, you have a direct connection to both routers, and so in the Network pref pane, enter in two network port configurations... one for each router.

With this enabled, even iTunes sharing works. If you have any difficulties feel free to ask... I have this setup working nicely.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-12-02, 21:19

So there's no easy way, eh? That's too bad. I guess what I could do, since the router and the eMac are right next to each other is just plug the eMac into one of the router's hard-wired connections and go that route. I'll have to set up some port mapping so my website and filemaker still work for others but that's not that difficult. Thanks guys.