User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Logic Studio: Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro 2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Logic Studio: Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro 2
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-12, 08:02

An update to Logic was frigging overdue, and it looks like it's finally out there, though Apple isn't even promoting this on their front page.

Anyway, Logic Studio looks like Apple is finally giving the ex-Emagic guys a similar amount of "Pro App" spotlight as they did with those from Astarte, Nothing Real, etc. with Final Cut Studio. From what I can tell, the craptacular Emagic UI is gone, with an all-new Mac-like UI.

I don't know that much about audio, so most of the press release is difficult for me to evaluate. $499 seems like a much lower price tag than what Emagic used to do, though! Logic Pro 7 alone was $999; now you get Logic Pro 8 and additional apps for half that. Nice!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-12, 08:30

The music/Logic users will have to report on how nice the new GUI is, though it certainly, from these ignorant eyeballs, looks like it makes a lot more sense. Interesting that it spurns the dark "Pro" app look for the unified appearance that's standard in Leopard. It's very Garageband-like.

Mainstage's analog/rotary dials and 3D seems a bit odd. I'm not sure how that stuff works though in practice.

Amazing amount of stuff they've put into that suite. nice to know that suites aren't completely passe at Apple in lieu of one-stop shops like iTunes.

That seems like super-aggressive pricing too.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2007-09-12 at 08:40.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-12, 08:40

This is an amazing development IMO. Logic now has a real UI (basically it's the same type of UI found in Motion and STP - just lighter in tone... definitely a step up from GB IMO) and plenty of new functionality, though I realize some parts of the suite are updated plug-ins that came with Logic from the start.

Still though, you get new Logic, STP2, 18,000 loops, 5 jam packs, a new Live performance app (similar to but not as capable as Live, I'm guessing), tons of instruments, ReWire support... for $500?? That's unreal compared to what was offered 24 hours ago. Unless I'm missing something.

I was guessing the price tag was around $1000 when I was reading all the specs and new features / apps. When I have time to get back into music a bit for some of my DVD stuff, I'm all over it. I love software like this because it makes music more accessible to people like me. I've got a good ear, and basic keyboard skills and good software adaptability so it's the perfect excuse to get me more into that world. Not to say GarageBand or STP (which I already have) aren't cool in their own right. But this is going to send some waves through the industry if I had to guess.

...into the light of a dark black night.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-09-12, 08:42

I'll be picking this up as soon as funding allows.
autodata
hustlin

2007-09-12, 09:39

I'm very excited, but as it sinks in I'm starting to worry a little. It looks like they didn't nix the environment, which I'm surprised but happy about. I really hope all of the functionality is still there. Looks like no new instruments, though. The dropping of the xskey is a big plus after so many years of that being a pain. MainStage looks like it could be pretty cool for some musicians.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-12, 09:46

This is a very impressive package.

I was just thinking today how I might ditch the iLife apps, since I'm using Aperture more frequently and it would make sense to port my iPhoto library to it. That left me really only missing GB since I haven't burned a DVD or made a movie in over a year now.

Now, Logic Studio with a revamped Logic Pro, Main Stage, STP2, a hefty bunch of software instruments and effects is really tempting. Plus, it has those excellent notation capabilities for MIDI sequencing ... a key "heritage" feature for which it was originally lauded. I used Notator from the Atari days and then checked out Logic, but it was a UI nightmare. Consequently my preference was for MOTU's Performer and, by extension DP.

But this is something. How long has it been since Apple bought out Emagic? Wasn't it around 2002? Finally, after five years, they have put their stamp on it and it looks the goods. That price is astounding. US$499 for Logic Studio. As of now, each Jam Pack alone retails for US$99 (Au$149) on the Apple online store. This is unbelievable value!

(I wonder what the price will be in the Australian store - Logic Pro was Au$1499.)

I have a feeling Avid, and to a lesser extent MOTU (not sure how big a player they are these days), must be knocked for six now with the value that this represents.

Wow. I'm very tempted - it would be an indulgence no doubt, but this is really the culmination of what I studied for so many years as an undergrad and I could easily see myself getting right back into the whole sequencing caper once again.

And with that, it's time to get back to a little GB tinkering with a 70s sounding love fest right now. Chucka chucka wacka wacka.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-12, 09:48

Also quietly released: Logic Express 8.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-09-12, 10:10

I really really really want Logic 8, but it just doesnt make sense for me. It's much more program than I really need.

Garageband is perfect for what I do.

Great price by the way on L8.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2007-09-12, 10:23

So just to get an overview on Apple's various audio apps (hopefully I'm not forgetting anything):
  • GarageBand, as part of iLife: $79
  • Logic Express: $199 (previously $299, I believe)
  • Soundtrack, as part of Final Cut Express: $299
  • Logic Studio, including Logic Pro and Soundtrack Pro: $499 (previously $999 for Pro alone)
  • Soundtrack Pro, as part of Final Cut Studio: $999
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-12, 10:55

Logic Express 8 looks like it's missing all the loopage and jam packs though. Kind of a bummer but not unexpected at that price. Still, looks like it can do everything GB can do plus a lot more.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-12, 11:10

GB is a bit of a dud for me b/c it lacks the ability to place different meters in a sequence as well as some decent notation capabilities.

However, if I get a grip on myself, I should be more like Yontsey and admit that Logic Express 8 would probably adequately fulfill my needs.

twitter
Alex London

2007-09-12, 13:31

This has been a long time coming and, as I can't order the upgrade from the Apple store here in the U.K yet, I'll have to wait some more to get my sweaty hands on it. The pricing is amazing, most of the long desired features are there; it all looks good.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-12, 14:14

The big, big question is how it all sounds, of course, and how well it runs on what hardware.

I'm currently running Cubase 4 and loving it.

But the way Logic is being shown is tantalizing.
This QuickSwipe comping or whatever it's called, would have been a blessing for me during the past months.

And the price looks like a killing blow to all the competition...

I'm very curious about the first in depth reviews!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-12, 14:27

Those Apogee products look pretty slick, though the rack system is WAY way over my head. I might get one of those Duet's though. That would be a great way to work with audio on a Powerbook away from the office.

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-09-12, 15:18

Ok my future system is coming into view.

iMac 24
Logic Studio
FCS
Midi Keyboard

Ok I've tried to find fault with the program but there are very few. It looks like full delay compensation is there. The UI is much cleaner...so clean people think things are missing but some are already installing and finding things like the Environment there. Plugins look good, support surround and have improvements.

DAE support is still there. The new editing in the Arrange window is exactly what people have wanted. Mainstage is cool. Apple's hyping it as a live performance product but the device control functionality and other hidden stuff may be a boon for recording.

Color me impressed. I think it's going to run best under Leopard but the featureset looks solid.

omgwtfbbq
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-12, 15:59

After reviewing all the demos and information, I can only conclude that I really want Logic Studio.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2007-09-12, 21:03

Looks like a beautiful package. More than I hoped, or even dared to dream!

Can't wait to hear the reviews!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-13, 01:06

Australian pricing is up. Not as bad as I expected; we normally get gouged a lot more!
Logic Express 8: AU$249 (edu) / AU$268 (rrp)
Logic Studio: AU$598 (edu) / AU$649 (rrp)

Main Stage is very interesting - I'd love to try it out. I wish Logic Express included a version of it.

twitter
BlueApple

2007-09-13, 04:01

Does the Soundtrack Pro 2 include in the Logic Express? Or only in the Logic Pro?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 05:04

I wonder how direct EXS24 feels when it runs on a MacBook.
Together with MainStage, that could be great.

Would be wonderful to take just a MacBook to rehearsals and use it with some midi skinny you can rent locally, instead of dragging a flightcase around.

I wonder why Apple doesn't offer MainStage seperately, but with all the instruments and Jam Packs offered in Logic Studio.
chucker

2007-09-13, 07:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Does the Soundtrack Pro 2 include in the Logic Express? Or only in the Logic Pro?
From what I can tell, the answer is no, and the two bundles appear to be as follows:

Logic Studio includes Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro 2, Studio Instruments, Studio Effects, Studio Sound Library, as well as the utilities Impulse Response Utility, WaveBurner, Apple Loops Utility and Compressor.
Logic Express apparently only includes Logic Express 8 and the utility Apple Loops Utility.
chucker

2007-09-13, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
I wonder why Apple doesn't offer MainStage seperately, but with all the instruments and Jam Packs offered in Logic Studio.
Probably for the same reason they quickly discontinued separate sales of Soundtrack, and why they no longer offer separate versions of Final Cut Pro (not Studio), DVD Studio Pro, etc. any more either: the margins just aren't good enough.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-13, 08:17

Damn - MainStage has got me in its grip. I'd sell a few synths to own this and a light keyboard, just as Doxxic mentioned. I'm over lugging flight cases and racks. This way all my analog gear could be neatly racked up at home and a MBP with a controller or something like a Kurzweil SP88 could be the gig rig.

That sure is a nice piece of work from Apple. I'm seriously tempted to rationalise my way into Logic Studio within the next year or so.

twitter
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Probably for the same reason they quickly discontinued separate sales of Soundtrack, and why they no longer offer separate versions of Final Cut Pro (not Studio), DVD Studio Pro, etc. any more either: the margins just aren't good enough.
But MainStage caters to a market that differs partly, but fundamentally, from Logic Pro. Not just in terms of price/features, but in terms of who is interested, for what reason. In such a case, product differentiation does make a lot of sense.

Musicians on stage are just not the same people as musicians in the studio.
Being live performance software, MainStage has very little competition. The main software companies offering apps for live use are Propellerhead and Ableton. Their users make mainly dance music (as far as I know).

Meanwhile, MainStage seems very well suited for more traditional keyboard players who happen to have a laptop, but up until now rather play dedicated sample synths on stage (like me).
That market is dominated by Roland (would probably be Apple's nearest competitor, making very accessible, well sounding mainstream synths), Korg (best when a bit weird and spikey, great at strings and organs) and Yamaha (the pianists synths).

Only one other company is currently building something that would really and directly compete with MainStage, which is Native Instruments - originally a software plug-in instruments company.
Their Kore hardware brick can contain lots and lots of VST based setups of instruments and effects, many of them included. But Kore is pretty much of a mess, as it seems on the web forums. And reliability is about as important as sound quality, on stage. I'm sure it would get quite a beating once Apple would start selling MainStage seperately, or even bundled with some laptop (which one?????).

Last edited by Doxxic : 2007-09-13 at 09:20.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 09:50

I'm upgrading Logic just for the fact that they got rid of the frigging dongle. All of the other improvements look very cool also. Its already ordered and I'll be sure to report my thoughts.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-19, 11:29

sunrain - Any news yet? I'd really like to hear what you think, especially since you have used Logic prior to this. If you bought Logic Studio could you please post some thoughts on Main Stage as well?

I can't help myself. I keep going back to the Apple site to check it out. If I get some music gigs up here, I'm going to put every little but I earn into Logic Studio. Either that or sell off some old gear back in Melbourne that I haven't touched for three years. I sold my Kurzweil this year ... there's plenty more that can go.

twitter
sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 11:33

I just got the software yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to install and check it out. I'll probably do that this afternoon after I'm done teaching and I'll try to post later today with first impressions.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-19, 11:34

Blimey - that was quick. I didn't realise you were online.

I didn't mean to rush you either. Just wanted to know where you were at with it. Take as much time as you need to post your impressions.

twitter
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-20, 08:39

There's quite a lot of info from users here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic...m-new-release/
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-20, 10:32

You know, I've been wondering; is the new Duet by Apogee what we used to call "Asteroid"? Seems to be the same basic shape, two inputs and a single knob on top...