Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AppleCare - Wow ...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleCare - Wow ...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-06-19, 09:43

I brought my old 2007 MacBook to the Apple Store Monday night (around 7:30pm). It had a bunch of problems:
  • Cracked screen bezel
  • Cracks in the lower wrist-rest area, I had to tape those over with electrical tape so I wouldn't cut myself
  • Broken SuperDrive - presumably from when I dropped it some time ago, wouldn't accept CDs/DVDs
  • Trackpad button would sometimes not respond and make a weird noise, also presumably from the drop
They told me it would take 5-7 business days. The genius also told me that they might not cover the bezel repair, and that they might balk at the broken optical drive. She said it might cost anywhere from $150-$600 if they didn't cover it.

It just arrived, after less than two net days. Everything fixed, exchanged, and covered. In addition to no more cracks, I also have a new keyboard. The whole thing looks like new (at least on the inside). Incredible. Now I can sell it to offset some of the cost of my new MBP

Anyway, this is my first big repair experience with Apple(Care), and I'm thrilled. I will never complain about how expensive AppleCare is again!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 09:49

You beat the hell out of that thing!

But yeah, AppleCare is well worth the cost, especially for notebooks -- especially now that the MBP AppleCare also covers the LCD monitors you can buy with them.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-06-19, 10:12

I didn't - I treat my stuff well. That battery has over 1000 charge cycles and still lasts for four hours. Yeah, that's not a mechanical thing, but still.

I just used it. It's my only private computer, and since I do a lot of work at home, I also carry it to the office a lot (so I have all my stuff where I need it). I've gotten a lot of use out of it, and that has left some traces.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 10:33

Yeah, those case cracks just *happen* on that model. It's pretty shitty, actually. I had a white MacBook that cracked too, and it didn't get dropped a single time.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-06-19, 10:35

I am such a big fan of AppleCare (except on the iPods my kids the day after I buy Applecare on them!)
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Yeah, those case cracks just *happen* on that model. It's pretty shitty, actually. I had a white MacBook that cracked too, and it didn't get dropped a single time.
Indeed. Especially the top case cracks. Of my >10 friends who have a MacBook, every single one has two cracks, perfectly placed where the "nubs" from the screen bezel contact the corresponding section of the top case.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-06-19, 11:02

The genius told me that those cracks on the screen bezel supposedly don't happen when you're careful when closing the laptop. I don't believe that's true, though, and the fact that they fixed it shows that I'm right.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-06-19, 11:06

My wife's MacBook has three cracks like that and she freakin' babies that thing. She hasn't once mistreated it or dropped it or even closed the lid hard.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-06-19, 11:10

My shells were replaced because of the cracks. My wife and I take care of ours too, for the most part.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-06-19, 11:43

My AppleCare has been outstanding as well. Wish I had fewer issues to begin with, but can't complain about the service.
Noel

2009-06-19, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
I am such a big fan of AppleCare (except on the iPods my kids the day after I buy Applecare on them!)
I just accidentally an iPod, is this bad?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-06-19, 15:08

The Whole Thing?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
I just accidentally an iPod, is this bad?
I think there's a verb missing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-06-19, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I think there's a verb missing.
I think that the point.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-06-19, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I think there's a verb.
There, it for you!

tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 15:40

Le sigh, can't keep up with teh memes.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-06-19, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post

Is leaving out the verb the meme, or is it the whole "I accidently..." thing?

Either way, it's hilarious!