Nintendo Wii

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo Wii
Page 3 of 10 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-04-27, 22:35

So is it going to be okay if I play with my best friend's Wii?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-27, 22:43

Heads up on tomorrow's Penny Arcade headline: "Whence Wii". Looks like they've got the news squarely in their sights, and are zooming in for the kill.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 23:03

Crap name. But it doesn't matter, this will be the most popular of the next generation of consoles. Besides, no matter what Nintendo calls them, it'll always just be Nintendo. I never went to a friends house to play their Nintendo Entertainment System or their Nintendo 64 it was always just Nintendo. It's just assumed it's the latest system and if it isn't it doesn't really matter because you can always play some version of Mario.

Anyway, the can call it what they want - I'm buying regardless.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-27, 23:04

Wii Inaction man, wii?
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-04-27, 23:09

I kept thinking everyone was misspelling 'Nintendo Wifi' all day.

That said, I like the name Wii.
rasmits
rams it

2006-04-27, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I said "oh you know, stupid stuff like "now I have to go play with my wee" and he said "wtf? that doesn't even make any sense, people are dumb"

I agrii.
Oh okay, I guess I'm just a stupid idiot then. If Microsoft made anything with the name "Wee" I guarantee you this thread would be 900 posts long by now. The fact that Nintendo has a loyal following similar to Apple keeps that from happening.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-28, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Oh okay, I guess I'm just a stupid idiot then. If Microsoft made anything with the name "Wee" I guarantee you this thread would be 900 posts long by now. The fact that Nintendo has a loyal following similar to Apple keeps that from happening.

No. And what type of an argument is that?

The fact that there is nothing wrong with the name is what should keep that from happening.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-28, 01:48

The name sounds like is a childhood euphamism for urine. I'd say that's something wrong with it. Furthermore, it doesn't sound like a game console, or anything I'd be interested in buying for that matter. Hearing the product name of "Wii" is only slightly more interesting to me than hearing "My Little Pony."

I think you're nuts, and I think Nintendo is nuts.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-28, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The name sounds like is a childhood euphamism for urine. I'd say that's something wrong with it. Furthermore, it doesn't sound like a game console, or anything I'd be interested in buying for that matter. Hearing the product name of "Wii" is only slightly more interesting to me than hearing "My Little Pony."

I think you're nuts, and I think Nintendo is nuts.
It is not supposed to sound like a game console. The concept of a game console is alienating to people, immediately when you talk about video games and game consoles and stuff people think of unproductive nerds being anti-social. Nintendo is trying to change that conception, by giving people a system that anyone can easily sit down and enjoy in a way that doesn't require them to learn a bunch of buttons and rules and systems. That is their strategy, for better or worse, and the name fits perfectly with that strategy. They might fail, so be it, that doesn't change the effectiveness of the name, it does exactly what it is trying to do.

As for it being a childhood euphemism for urine. Who cares? honestly, who uses that? and again who cares? Do you really want to sit around cracking piss jokes? Also, people are trying to connote it to be phallic, but it isn't. The 'insults' people are applying to it are pointless and trivial with no weight in anything that matters. Nintendo knows this, they are not stupid. There is a lot more to the marketing and sales world than appealing to a bunch of impossible to satisfy nerds. Nintendo is not aiming for the so-called 'hardcore' gamer market, which is a niche within a niche, and the people they are aiming for aren't going to get hung up over something as trivial as the name Wii.

It's fun to make jokes about it, I have been doing it too, but if you seriously think that this name is going to make or break the system, or that anyone other than hardcore gamer nerds on the internet actually care, you're fooling yourself.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-04-28, 02:26

Hell, Nintendo knew full well what people would think of the name, and just look at how much everyone talks about it? Any publicity is good publicity. Now EVERYONE knows about it.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-28, 03:22

Well people might end up calling it the "W" "eye"

Which in England is the 'Womens Institute'.

They might be corrected to "W" "eye" "eye" by some people. Which sounds a bit like a cokney slang phrase for "Here comes something.." i.e. "Eye" "Eye"

It does leave a lot of openings for great tacky Dixons / Best Buy marketting at Christmas..

Little girl/boy standing with their legs crossed, bouncing up and down in an electrical store..
Assistant asks if he can help, and mother says "She needs a Wii".
Cut to splash screen.. "Will your kids be having a Wii this Christmas?"

However... Luca...

Quote:
This is absolutely the most retarded thing I've ever heard. This is ten times worse than renaming the "PowerBook" the "MacBook Pro," no... make that a hundred.
Nope. Sorry. Nothing excuses, or is worse than "the name that shall not be said".

But I like the logo.. And once we get over the juvenile jokes it's probably gonna be one of those logos / names that sticks. Heck, we're all talking about it..

I do like the comment in one article about the fact that it's only us jeveniles on the internet that are finding this so funny...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
wecallitfall

2006-04-28, 04:20

so does this mean that Revoltuion fanboy will now become Wii fanboy?

haha
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-28, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall
so does this mean that Revoltuion fanboy will now become Wii fanboy?

haha
Nope.. WiiBoys!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-28, 06:14

Or Wiiman?

:smokey:
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-28, 06:15

Can someone mock up a Super Mario WiiMan, or WiiBoy!

'scates..?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-28, 06:44

It may *sound* like the word some might associate with piss but to me, it sounds kinda asian. The 2 "i"s at the end do it. Am I the only one who sees it that way?
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-28, 06:49

Asian languages don't do a lot of double 'i' sounds. They don't have very many long sounds..

It's generally (with the languages I know) either a hard short "i" or an "e".

To me, I think it is more influenced by the trendy 'internet' 'i' that everyone is using now.. and a little bit of Sony's font stylings.. Like the new Walkman Phone for example..

But then it's a well known joke (particularly in Japan in programming circles) that the whole of Nintendo are smoking something all of the time, and when they are not smoking they are on acid! I could never get a job there though! Bummer! But who knows where their ideas come from.. More than 50% of their ideas are quite unique, and actually insanely clever. I think that, and I am not a Nintnedo WiiBoy in any way shape of form! In fact if anything I am the opposite..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-28, 06:49

I agree with you Dr. Phile. I think not only that it sounds asian, but that only a non-native English speaking company would use that name. Perhaps insufficient research was done into the connotations of that name.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-28, 07:30

Ok, you must agree Wii is better than what the penny arcade toon picked out.

Barely.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-28, 07:33

turbulentfurball,

I actually think that sounding asian is a *good* thing. Asian is hip these days. And I loooooveeee me some asians.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-28, 07:37

I couldn't agree more. I also love the far-east's current obsession with the coolness that is the English language. Engrish is one of my favourite sites. After AN of course
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-28, 07:37

For those that don't frequent PA:

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-28, 07:39

That's funny! Another site to bookmark.. Thanks Brad.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-28, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
It is not supposed to sound like a game console. The concept of a game console is alienating to people, immediately when you talk about video games and game consoles and stuff people think of unproductive nerds being anti-social. Nintendo is trying to change that conception, by giving people a system that anyone can easily sit down and enjoy in a way that doesn't require them to learn a bunch of buttons and rules and systems. That is their strategy, for better or worse, and the name fits perfectly with that strategy. They might fail, so be it, that doesn't change the effectiveness of the name, it does exactly what it is trying to do.

As for it being a childhood euphemism for urine. Who cares? honestly, who uses that? and again who cares? Do you really want to sit around cracking piss jokes? Also, people are trying to connote it to be phallic, but it isn't. The 'insults' people are applying to it are pointless and trivial with no weight in anything that matters. Nintendo knows this, they are not stupid. There is a lot more to the marketing and sales world than appealing to a bunch of impossible to satisfy nerds. Nintendo is not aiming for the so-called 'hardcore' gamer market, which is a niche within a niche, and the people they are aiming for aren't going to get hung up over something as trivial as the name Wii.

It's fun to make jokes about it, I have been doing it too, but if you seriously think that this name is going to make or break the system, or that anyone other than hardcore gamer nerds on the internet actually care, you're fooling yourself.
There's no need to try and convince me. I am certain there is something wrong with your head and the more arguments I hear about why "Wii" is a good name, the less I like it.

I'm actually thinking the name might drive me away from buying one. Or at least it might possibly be a deciding factor if I'm on the fence.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-28, 08:27

If they come out with an excellent ad campaign, and push the Wii as (we), as in many people playing together on their system and having a blast, I think they'll be fine.

If they don't do something to put an image of what Wii means in people's minds though, this is going to hurt them.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-28, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
For those that don't frequent PA:

(...)
Dammit! I don't understand it.

Was it somethng about Vagina™ being the runner up?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2006-04-28, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge

I'm guessing that they're hinting that the Wii name is so stupid, Nintendo may as well have called it the Vagina.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-28, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge

Wii == Wee == Penis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wee_wee and note the redirect)

The joke is that Nintendo passed up the vagina name for the penis name.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-04-28, 08:42

I'm waiting for the handheld. You just know it's going to be the WeeWii.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-28, 08:43

Sounds plausible.

With those controllers, vagina might have been a better name.