User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 127 of 221 First Previous 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131  Next Last Thread Tools
Dr. Bobsky

2020-04-01, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, amidst all this End of the World™ nonsense[/url].
I know you're being hyperbolic here, but sometimes I wonder if you haven't yet grasped the magnitude of the danger the world is in...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-01, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I know you're being hyperbolic here, but sometimes I wonder if you haven't yet grasped the magnitude of the danger the world is in...
To avoid mixing all the COVID-19 stuff up in this thread, all I'm going to say here is that it was refreshing to have something to talk about for a few minutes that wasn't virus-related.

Edit: My kid just sent me a meme that went like this:

"You can't have all four seasons and an earthquake in the same day."

Idaho: "Hold my beer!"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-04-02 at 13:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-08, 23:03

I just saw where Queen guitarist Brian May has injured his butt in an “over-enthusiastic” gardening incident..

Hmm, okay.

The mind reels. And the jokes write themselves.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-09, 10:38

Little Richard, dead at 87.

I think, of all the major "architects" of that era, only Jerry Lee Lewis (84) remains. Gone are Buddy, Elvis, Roy, Bo, Fats, Chuck and now Little Richard. All the people one typically thinks of when they think of that initial blast of mid-50's rock 'n' roll originators, all gone, except for Jerry Lee.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-05-09, 16:36

James Brown, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, as well as Gregg & Duane Allman all passed through Macon, Georgia, on their way up.

Just adding to your list of architects.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 15:00

Pretty little kitty cat with some attitude. The video thumbnail says it all!

Seriously, what a terrifying ordeal. This dude did just about everything he was supposed to do, and he's alive to talk about it.

About halfway through the video, he says this: "Oh, man, where's my gun?"

I bet he never goes up there without it again!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 00:20

*cough*

https://forums.applenova.com/showpos...4&postcount=29

Yeah, been there. It's pants pissing time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-14, 11:06

Very well told story, Kick.

I believe you. Not because it's a well told story, but because, well, I believe you.

Growing up, we raised a bobcat … indoors! Little kitty was, well, a "little" kitty—until she wasn't. She was tame, but had those wildcat instincts that would go off, and you just had to back away and leave her the hell alone for a little while … and then she would come sit on your lap and purr like a freaking lawn mower!

Full grown she was a healthy 40 pounds and a mother to deal with if she got herself wound up. No way I would tangle with that cat in full-on, pissed-off mode—and she was declawed!

A cougar?

Hell NO!

Especially in the wild.

Dude in that video knew he was dead. He didn't just feel it, he knew it. Fortunately, he did what he was supposed to do and came away with all his fingers. Almost every other person on this earth, in the same situation, would be dead or mangled beyond recognition. So, I hike with my pow-pow. Because no matter how cool I think I am, wild animals can straight up kick my ass!

Were it me, that cat would have got one warning shot. **ONE!**

And then it would have been a sad day.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 23:14

We trapped a bobcat kit in our yard three years ago, it had been abandoned by its mom (she was likely struck by a car in this area), but five days of no mom and this thing yowling in the yard, and we got a live trap cage from the local wildlife center and took it in. Sadly, it didn't make it. But good lord that thing was ANGRY.

I have a 25# beast of a cat (wears size S dog collars. Not XS. S.), and he about crushes me in the middle of the night by curling up on my chest. I can't imagine 40#.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 23:34

I was trying to play out in my mind how I would survive an encounter with a big cat like that...

Short of a gun and a lot of distance I would rather never find out how it would really play out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-06, 16:06

I don't care what planet you're from, you just can't make this stuff up!

We're still laughing down here in the shop.

Quote:
Reached Thursday, Eric Roberts offered an explanation: “Make dinner,” he said.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-06, 20:16

While I would have never thought of doing that... why is it bad?

I mean, they were probably really hungry.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-11-07, 11:21

Too lazy to turn on a propane stove and fill a pot with water I guess...

Why is it bad? Do we really have to ask that question? Let’s see cooking chicken, wild animals, hot spring that draws people in. I think we can all figure out why that’s a bad idea.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-07, 11:30

Oops, I forgot my emotes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-20, 13:52

Not sure who followed the massive explosion that hit Beruit Lebanon August 4th. A group called Forensic Architecture reconstructed the incident and shared their finding on the incident here on this YouTube video. Pretty wild stuff and amazing how detailed they can get from the crowdsourced images and videos. It is only 12 minutes but well worth the time if you are interested in how they reconstruct these things after fact in today's age.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-20, 18:03

Thanks for posting that. Quite interesting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-24, 08:51

Weird monolith found in Utah desert.
Quote:
On November 18, 2020, the Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau was working with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources to conduct a count of big horn sheep in a portion of southeastern Utah.

While on this mission, they spotted an unusual object and landed nearby to investigate further.

The crew members found a metal monolith installed in the ground in a remote area of red rock.

The crew said there was no obvious indication of who might have put the monolith there.

The exact location of the installation is not being disclosed since it is in a very remote area and if individuals were to attempt to visit the area, there is a significant possibility they may become stranded and require rescue.

It is illegal to install structures or art without authorization on federally managed public lands, no matter what planet you’re from.

The Bureau of Land Management will be determining if they need to investigate further.
This is pretty wild if you asked me. I have no doubt a group of normal humans did this for fun and now are laughing hysterically. Of course, they will want so bad to say they did it but don't want to face criminal charges for such actions so they will be torn with being recognized as the ones who did it while not wanting to pay for their "crimes".

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 09:50

Ah, the internal conflict/tough decisions of Generation Selfie.

"I, like, HAVE to document/post everything I say/do/think/feel/see/eat/drink...but I, like, totally don't wanna go to prison for it, bro...".

I'm sure, as we speak, whoever did this are weighing their 15 minutes of viral "fame" via social media against "okay, what's, like, the heaviest sentence I could possibly get? And could I, like, deal with it? I mean, I won't be thrown in with the axe murderers will I, bro? Wait...can I still run my YouTube channel and Instagram from the joint, because if so...".

I actually hope it turns out to be alien, for real. Of course we'd never know, would we?

People absolutely lose their shit when they have one reception bar/slow wifi, Popeyes's is out of chicken sandwiches or The Bachelorette gets pre-empted by a Dr. Fauci press conference. So we're never going to be told the truth about spaceships/aliens, I assure you.*

Whoever put that thing there seems to have gotten rid of any tell-tale footprints/tire tracks, so they were at least thinking that far ahead.

- cue X Files and/or Close Encounters theme

*It has never crossed my mind that we're truly alone in this universe. I just can't buy that. But, short of getting abducted myself (which I would almost welcome at this point), I also accept that I/we will never "officially" know for sure. So I just keep my eyes on the nighttime sky from time to time, hoping I see something that I'll never be able to explain. Or forget. That, to me, would be Christmas, Halloween, July 4th and my birthday, all wrapped up in one amazing package! Some of the happiest, sweetest memories in my life are those times spent lying across the hood of my car at 2am in Joshua Tree, looking up at the sky where it looked like someone flung a shaker of salt across a black tabletop...I've never seen so many stars in my life! And all I wanted was to see something totally weird and impossible to explain (and hoped I didn't step on a rattlesnake when I got up to take a pee).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-24 at 10:08.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-24, 13:49

Well, if some monkeys show up and start clubbing each other, I'll get excited. Until then, it's like crop circles: Cleverly crafted human art that gullible folks rush to say "Them aliens is at it again!"

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau" put it there to draw attention to a department that no one on Earth knew existed until today.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 15:05

Exactly. I smell a (PR) rat.

Bust that thing open and see what happens, or what's inside. That'll quickly start to yield some clues. If it glows some weird color and blows up half the state, then chances are it was alien tech (hopefully none of the Osmonds get hurt). If you see gum wrappers and cigarette butts, then that answers a few questions too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-28, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Weird monolith found in Utah desert.

This is pretty wild if you asked me. I have no doubt a group of normal humans did this for fun and now are laughing hysterically. Of course, they will want so bad to say they did it but don't want to face criminal charges for such actions so they will be torn with being recognized as the ones who did it while not wanting to pay for their "crimes".
An update. Doesn't appear to be alien, unfortunately.

The weirdest thing about this story is that something so plain and "yeah...and?" is considered "sculpture" or art. By that definition/standard, what isn't?

Still an interesting story, but I prefer the "from outer space" version. Far more interesting than some beret jockey having a self-satisfied giggle.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-30, 15:23

I saw some articles yesterday (or day before) that said it is gone now. Still, kinda funny that it was a flash in the pan new event. I mean, middle of nowhere and still managed to be found.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-30, 15:27

Only because those guys from the state were doing some surveying, I heard. Had that not been the case, it might’ve sat there for quite some time!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-30, 16:34

I still think they planted it to draw attention to themselves. It's just too weird for a big hunk of metal to get hauled all the way out there and stuck in place.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-30, 17:41

The article above seems to think it was a known sculptor and ties in closely to something he told his son he wanted to do.

I was so hoping it was going to crack open and blow up half the county... (nobody hurt, mind you, but just a definitive "okay, this isn't of this earth" type of thing).

I was/am ready.

I'm hoping, before I keel over, I get to see proof and to have that question definitively answered, once and for all.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-30, 20:49

It's a famous art piece now, so it's making the rounds in some illegal collector's basement.

It'll surface in a few years.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-11-30, 21:30

There's a history of this out here. The west is so empty you can hide shit and it'll stay hidden for *years*.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/08/87218...rt-dealer-says
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-01, 09:30

I glanced over an article that said there was one in Romania I think. I meant to save the link but cleared that tab out already.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-01, 16:02

Here is an article I found about the one in Romania. I don't know the source, found it via google but it gives more details.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-02, 10:03

Ok, I saw a flagged a number of articles about the monolith. One said there is a $10000 bounty for the missing one... but I haven't read them yet.

I'm on to more pressing issues. Anyone here watch the series Silicon Valley that was on HBO?

Doesn't this remind you of Tres Comas?

The cap is a comma.