AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Armed man in standoff at Clinton '08 NH campaign office

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Armed man in standoff at Clinton '08 NH campaign office
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 17:43

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/...ice/index.html

Been going on for a while now. Three hostages released. Guy apparently has a bomb strapped to himself. Mrs. Clinton is not involved, of course (not even in the state).

Not sure of the details, just the story above.

Could be a personal situation (a domestic type of deal happening to involve a worker at the office, and no real tie or connection to the Clinton campaign).

Who knows.

EDIT: CNN now saying the guy (a Leeland Eisenberg?) has a trouble of mental illness (and some divorce and financial troubles). Said he told his nephew to "watch the news this afternoon". Yikes...sounds like he had a plan.

Sounds like a troubled guy, with no real beef toward Senator Clinton. He might've picked a convenient, occupied office? Then again, one that he knew would be well covered by the press (he could've just as easily picked a Kinko's, huh?)

EDIT (again): Talking about how he's got a history of "serious" mental illness and "issues" with the health care system (which puts the selected location into context, I suppose). They keep talking about alcohol on the news, as though he's sauced up. Can't be good. Mentally unstable, liquored-up and strapped with explosives in a high-profile office. I've got a feeling this one isn't going to end clean...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 17:45

The odds that he didn't know whose office that was are nill IMO.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 17:47

Well yeah, the letters are probably huge on the building. If he's got a "healthcare" dispute, then it makes a bit more of a connection (he's got a political beef or whatever).

Either way, he picked a venue for guaranteed maximum coverage...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 17:48

Hillary's office asplode.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-30, 17:55

Yeah. He wanted to get on the news.

He's supposedly upset with the mental health care situation in the States, so it sounds like it could be political in nature, too.

Scary.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 18:06

Well Anderson Cooper is live on the scene, so we know it'll turn out okay now.

Does he have a Star Trek teleporter or something? Seems like he can be at the anchor desk in New York or Atlanta or wherever, and there will be a railway explosion in Montana, and when they come back from a commercial break, he's there on the scene.

This poor guy (Eisenberg, not Cooper) might feel he's got nothing to lose. Ugh...I don't like how this is shaping up. The more they talk about this guy (his past run-ins with local police, etc.), the more grim and "uh-oh" it's sounding.

Hopefully he's just looking to make a statement and get some attention, and will give up soon with no incident. I'm hearing various accounts on the "explosives" angle...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-11-30, 18:17

Busted.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 18:21

Is it just me, or has Wolf Blitzer said - or called for - "prayer" about 16 times now? Is he a recent convert of some sort? I've never heard a mainstream news figure keep saying that, over and over, so many times.

Or is he a giant Hillary supporter?

Either way, it's odd. It's like the Wolf Blitzer Goodtime Revival & Prayer Meeting Hour on CNN. If a choir shows up behind him (and he starts wiping his face with a hanky and passing a collection plate), I'm gonna freak...

Not that I'm offended, mind you. You just normally don't hear these news types talking that way...sounds like he's got a heavy interest invested here.

"Dear Lord, don't let the Hillary building blow up. Kucinich or Edwards, meh...".
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-11-30, 18:39

son said he bought flares at a store this morning...no bomb, just flares strapped to his chest to look like a bomb

crazy dude...if he's upset with health care in this country he should be at some other political office...

not to make this thread political

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 19:26

No, of course not...

But here it goes. Congrats for ripping the lid off that can of monkeys.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-11-30 at 20:25.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-30, 19:51

It's over. Guy was arrested. everything's fine. It's not even clear if he really had a bomb, at least they don't mention anything. But if he had, they would have probably tasered him to death first. Not that I want to start a flamewar or anything ...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-01, 09:00

Good I would rather he remain alive instead of kill himself so he can spend a few years in prison, reflecting on his own special brand of genius.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-12-01, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
It's over. Guy was arrested. everything's fine. It's not even clear if he really had a bomb, at least they don't mention anything. But if he had, they would have probably tasered him to death first. Not that I want to start a flamewar or anything ...
I question the wisdom of tasering a guy with a bomb until said bomb have been removed. All that electricity and uncontrolled jerking about might be counterproductive.

hflomberg

2007-12-01, 12:01

If he gets out on bail - do you think he'll go to Obama or Edwards next?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-12-01, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliani
This is just like the standoff with terrorists on September 11th, 2001.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-12-01, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary Clinton
"It appears he is someone who was in need of help and sought attention in absolutely the wrong way," she said. "It was for me and my campaign an especially tense and difficult day."
My head hurts.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-12-01, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
How sad is it that I had to google that Guilani quote to confirm he didn't really respond that way?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-01, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
My head hurts.
"This is obvious proof that we need universal health care and gun control, and... what do you mean he didn't have a gun? It was a bomb? You're sure? Really? But... can we plant one? No? Okay, well... yes, universal health care, it's an obvious... what do you mean he wasn't happy with our current system? It's halfway there! But..."