AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Found a great deal, share it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 3 of 17 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-11-04, 09:17

How can Amazon sell the new book with that kind of discount?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-05, 19:46

ATTN pscates (or any other fans of Target or design):

Target is giving away free Dysons! The catch is you have to buy one first. If you buy the special Blueprint edition (glossy white plastic, with sexy designery-markings in blue) of the DC24 (the short version of the slim version of the Ball - it's called the Baby abroad), you get a Root 6 handheld vac (normally $150) for free. That's two vacuums for the price of...two (this is Dyson, we're talking about) but that's a better deal than usual. $429 gets you both. Did I mention the Blueprint is sexy? A Target exclusive (on the DC24), too. The DC24 is the cheapest Dyson upright anyone should own, because if you're springing for a Dyson you have to get the Ball. The deal ends Saturday.

Oh, and Walmart will be selling Xbox 360 Arcades for $199 with a free $100 gift card on Saturday. That's an unheard of deal on a console - it's like half off! But you have to go to Walmart...twice.

Finally, Old Navy *may* be giving away LEGO Rock Band with a $20 purchase on Black Friday. While supplies last, of course. They open at three...good luck with that.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-05, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh, and Walmart will be selling Xbox 360 Arcades for $199 with a free $100 gift card on Saturday. That's an unheard of deal on a console - it's like half off! But you have to go to Walmart...twice.
Shit! That is a good deal. How much are HDD for Xbox now? And you still can't use an external for storage can you?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-05, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Shit! That is a good deal. How much are HDD for Xbox now? And you still can't use an external for storage can you?
It depends on how big of a drive you want. I know they have (had?) a deal where you can get a 60GB drive, headset, Ethernet cable, and 3 month Live membership for $99. I think 120GB drives, by themselves, run $139 or so. And yes, you so still need to use Microsoft's special drives (or at least the enclosures - it's possible to hack a third-party drive into one of them, once you have one).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-05, 20:05

Quote:
Do they mail the gift card to you?

Either way, I'd recommend using that gift card to pick up one of the 60 or 120 GB hard drives. Great deal.

Quote:
It depends on how big of a drive you want. I know they have (had?) a deal where you can get a 60GB drive, headset, Ethernet cable, and 3 month Live membership for $99. I think 120GB drives, by themselves, run $139 or so.
Sounds about right. However, I picked up a 120 GB hard drive from eBay for $70. Had to get the transfer cable from MS as well, but that isn't necessary if you're adding the hard drive to a brand new Arcade console. It's only an issue if you want to move stuff from one drive to a new one (in my case, from my old 20 GB to the new 120 GB).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-05, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Do they mail the gift card to you?
I would assume not, but they might pull a Toys 'R Us and make it not work until the next day. Wouldn't want people to turn around and use it on one of their $300 HP laptops, now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-05, 20:10

Salty, I know I won't use the downloaded content that much. At least I didn't when I had a 20gig one before, maybe things have changed. That 100$ goes a long way toward a year of Live and a game...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-11-05, 20:18

Glad I sold my old 360 a couple of weeks ago! As if these things aren't hard enough to unload already. At that price I might be tempted to get another one... Nah.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-05, 22:11

I know these MacHeist bundles are popular here.

Here's the latest.

ShoveBox, WriteRoom, Twitterific, TinyGrab, Hordes of Orcs and Mariner Write...$154 value, all free.

Seven days only, so get it!

Capella and Roboman, you might be interested in WriteRoom.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-05, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I know these MacHeist bundles are popular here.

Here's the latest.

ShoveBox, WriteRoom, Twitterific, TinyGrab, Hordes of Orcs and Mariner Write...$154 value, all free.

Seven days only, so get it!

Capella and Roboman, you might be interested in WriteRoom.
That's actually...really cool. I've used WriteRoom in the past, but didn't want to pay $25 for it

I'm also interested in Mariner Write, because the only thing I use in OpenOffice is Writer anyway. Hopefully it gets unlocked - since the bundle is free, I'm sure it will be.

Thanks so much for posting! That's a - well, a steal, really.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-05, 23:46

I'm thinking of giving them a try. Although I already have word processing software, don't play games, and I don't tweet. Haha

Anyway I'm gonna shoot a little off topic question here, it relates but just barely. Could I install these on a flash drive, and if I were at a mac at school could I just run them off of that drive?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-11-05, 23:50

I don't really want WriteRoom because I can't see myself using fullscreen much and because Scrivener does it, but Mariner Write actually looks awesome and I'd take the free Twitter client. Thanks for the headsup, and I hope Mariner Write becomes free quickly.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-05, 23:58

Their servers must be getting absolutely hammered right now - I still don't have my serials. I wonder if the page will refresh itself, or if it's stuck...I'm scared to do anything lest I lose my expensive apps.

EDIT: Whoops, I accidentally clicked away anyway. Well, it still says it's generating the serials...

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-11-06, 01:08

how long do those serials take to generate?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-06, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
how long do those serials take to generate?
I just got all of mine except for ShoveBox (and Mariner Write, obviously). It took a couple of hours - they've taken care of some 5,000 people in the time. I think they're swamped...first day, and all that.

And yes, you can leave the page.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-11-06, 01:18

Got mine, including Shovebox. I'll give them a try tomorrow and report back!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-11-06, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm thinking of giving them a try. Although I already have word processing software, don't play games, and I don't tweet. Haha

Anyway I'm gonna shoot a little off topic question here, it relates but just barely. Could I install these on a flash drive, and if I were at a mac at school could I just run them off of that drive?
I'm nearly 100% sure that you can run any of these apps off the flash drive. You won't retain your preferences but even that you can fix by copying that over to your USB drive and putting it in the appropriate place on the mac you're using. You may need to serialize it, too, but that's not an issue.

And this is a very niche deal, but some people might be interested: Mass Effect for PC is $9.99 on Steam right now. I broke down and bought it even though I've got several RPGs in the queue already. I need to quit buying games and start playing them!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-06, 08:26

I can't decide if ShoveBox is the greatest name ever used for software, or completely disgusting and inappropriate. The jury is still out on that...

It sounds like an undertaking that would involve Ron Jeremy, Christy Canyon and some wah-wah guitar.

"ShoveBox, Vol. 3: Dripping Wet"

I'm just saying...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-06, 08:56

"Momma's got a sqeezebox, daddy never sleeps at night!"
¡Damned!

2009-11-06, 08:57

On that note, I'd like to say that I find Shauna Sand's "body" to be absolutely disgusting. *shudder*
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-06, 11:17

If anyone's looking for a nice TV that can be used as a computer monitor as well, there's a refurb Vizio 37" 1080p LCD for $500 here:

http://unclevic.com/a134/pd/40-3-0-7...080p-full-hdtv

Site has some annoying Flash crap going on but I've bought from them in the past and had no problems. In fact they were very helpful. I got a 32" version of the same thing for $400 months ago. Vizio is kind of a low-end brand, but they're at least better than the bargain basement ones. When my first one had problems, they paid for the return shipping and the second one has been flawless.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-06, 11:42

The little local sports pub I go to is outfitted with various-sized Vizio flat-screen TVs (most seem to be in the 30-38" range, just guessing, and then there are two that are 50" or above). They all look really nice...clear, good color, etc.

I'd probably get one for myself, if/when the time comes (I've currently got a 22" CRT 4:3 TV (yeah, I know..."how quaint and retro").

I'd like something in the 32-37" range, for the size of my place. Nothing too outrageously big, but definitely something that's a step up, in size, to the TV I have now. I'll check that link out, Luca.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-24, 21:55

1Password Pro is currently free. I know there are many 1Password users here who might like this. Plus, you don't need 1Password to use the iPhone/Touch app. Free 'til 1Dec09.

Linky

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-12-07, 07:41

bing is running a 20% cash back promo with ebay and paypal. Search for something like "roomba" on bing.com and click through on the ebay sponsored link. It should say "20% Cash back" or some such. Then any ebay searches you make during that session should be eligible for cash back. You'll see plenty of confirmation that it's working throughout the purchase process so there shouldn't be any questions.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-12-23, 00:49

Steam's holiday sale is going on now. There are some really good games for really little money. I know that Steam is a PC service but we've got some PC gamers here. Some select titles:

- Braid: $2.49
- Mirror's Edge: $4.99
- GTA 4: $7.49
- Stalker: $1.99

Personally, I'm thinking of picking up Machinarium, World of Zoo (for playing with my son) and Braid. I already bought Torchlight for $10 earlier this year.

Steam is kicking my butt with their sales. Hopefully they'll stop so I can actually play some of these games!

¡Damned!

2009-12-23, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Personally, I'm thinking of picking up Machinarium..
Amanita has a Christmas deal going on until the 25th where you can get Machinarium, Samorost2 and the soundtracks for both all for 10 bucks.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-23, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Steam is kicking my butt with their sales. Hopefully they'll stop so I can actually play some of these games!
I know right! Steam always has amazing sales (and bundles). I don't know how they do it, I really don't.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-29, 20:57

2.0GHz white MacBooks (with 2GB RAM and the 9400M graphics w/ 256MB!) for $699 at Apple's refurb section.

I'm sure they won't last long...

At that price, I was expecting 1GB RAM and/or the older X3100 graphics. Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me. Anyone needing a basic, no-frills Apple notebook for not a lot of money, here's your chance!

120GB hard drive, SuperDrive, FireWire, etc. too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-29, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
2.0GHz white MacBooks (with 2GB RAM and the 9400M graphics w/ 256MB!) for $699 at Apple's refurb section.

I'm sure they won't last long...

At that price, I was expecting 1GB RAM and/or the older X3100 graphics. Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me. Anyone needing a basic, no-frills Apple notebook for not a lot of money, here's your chance!

120GB hard drive, SuperDrive, FireWire, etc. too.
Gone! Already out of stock.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-29, 22:16

That didn't take long! An amazing deal for anyone looking. They also had 20" aluminum iMacs (2.66GHz, I believe) on there around the same time as my post above, for $749 (but they're gone too, no surprise).

If you were quick on the draw tonight, you could've snagged a nice iMac and MacBook for under $1,500.

Anytime relatively recent Apple gear hits the refurb store for less than $800, it lasts about seven minutes.