Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Open Source Stand Alone Spreadsheet

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Open Source Stand Alone Spreadsheet
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-11-18, 01:06

Is there any open source stand alone spreadsheet available for Mac OS X? I have iWork so I am looking for spreadsheet application only. OpenOffice have spreadsheet app but it comes as bundled with other apps.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB

Last edited by naashraf : 2005-11-18 at 04:05.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-18, 02:33

There's Gnumeric as part of GNOME Office, but like OpenOffice.org, it doesn't come in an OS X-native version.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-18, 08:02

If you refuse to have excess functionality, then anything on the market is wrong for you.

Is it startup speed, specific lacking features, memory use, UI deficiencies, or what that turns you off about the OO.o and NeoOffice options?

I have also heard good things about Gnumeric.
naashraf

2005-11-18, 11:51

It is not lack of features, speed etc that turns me off about OpenOffice.org. I mean I already have the Pages and Keynote so why I put another Word Processor or presentation app on my system. The only thing missing is spreadsheet so I thought to ask if there is any Open Source spreadsheet available that i can use.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-11-18, 11:57

Well, seems to me they're usually bundled for a reason; one seldomly makes a spreadsheet all on its own; it's usually part of a bigger document, and thus need to integrate with word processing, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to have OO or Neo; you could just use iWork all you like and if there's any snafu or quirks, you can run over to OO/Neo to fix it up and still come out with a great spreadsheet.s
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-11-18, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by naashraf
It is not lack of features, speed etc that turns me off about OpenOffice.org. I mean I already have the Pages and Keynote so why I put another Word Processor or presentation app on my system. The only thing missing is spreadsheet so I thought to ask if there is any Open Source spreadsheet available that i can use.
Assuming the Open Office installer on the Mac works the same way it does on Windows, you can choose not to install the other applications. You can install just the spreadsheet if you're worried about hard drive clutter.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-18, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Well, seems to me they're usually bundled for a reason; one seldomly makes a spreadsheet all on its own; it's usually part of a bigger document, and thus need to integrate with word processing, etc.
Man, this made my sphincter twitch.

Massively integrated monolithic application suites are the devil's work. They close you into a specific workflow, and specific toolset. Witness the problems with importing basic graphics into PowerPoint from other tools... I've NEVER gotten it to work reliably. They want you to do *EVERYTHING* within Office, which sucks.

I'm with the original poster - give me a good solid standalone app with rich abilities to pass data back and forth *ANY* day. ie, Pages, Keynote, OmniGraffle, etc, etc.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-18, 14:37

What Kickaha said.
naashraf

2005-11-18, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
That might be true for many people but lot of people also use spreadsheet apps on its own without integrating it with word processor or presentation app.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-18, 21:59

In fact, I can't recall ever integrating a spreadsheet into a word processing document...