Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help Escher Design and Name His Cloudhopper Balloon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help Escher Design and Name His Cloudhopper Balloon
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 08:17

Some of you guys and girls might remember that I fly hot air balloons. The one I own is a so-called Cloudhopper. It's a one-man balloon without a basket, where the propane tank just "straps" to your back and your legs dangle in the air. Now that I'm done with law school, I want to build a new envelope for my Cloudhopper. I'm still in the design phase, but I thought I would solicit your input. I will need help with two tasks: (1) choosing colors for the envelope design, and (2) giving the new Cloudhopper a name.

Here's a mockup of what the shape of the new envelope will look like (the color will unlikely be plain lime green ):

It's an 8-gore bulbous design with horizontal panels. For the coloring, it'll basically be a grid of rectangles 8-wide and 9-high (approximately), wrapped around the shape above.

The name can match the color scheme, or the shape, or nothing at all. First thoughts were "Power Puff" and "Sky Bag," but I'm sure you'll be more creative.

Finally, you can have a look at this QT clip of me flying my Cloudhopper (with its current/old envelope) to get a feel for this aircraft. You can also find a whole slew of info about Cloudhoppers at the Cloudhopper.org website.

Thanks in advance for your input! I look forward to any thoughts and comments, and I'll post updates as the project moves along.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.

Last edited by Escher : 2004-08-12 at 08:23.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-12, 08:21

That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. I had no idea they made balloons like that. I'd do that in a heartbeat!

As for color and all, you know my choice.

And for name? Well, if it were me, I couldn't help but adverstise/promote my computing platform of choice in some subtle - or not-so-subtle - way.

iHopper

¡Damned!

2004-08-12, 08:25

BBQ Ham and Yo Mamma...

That looks like a hella fun.
¡Damned!

2004-08-12, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
iHopper
Those Texas boys look like they're into MEAT...not those pussy pancakes.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 08:34

Quote:
As for color and all, you know my choice.
pscates: I've actually considered making it all orange. And my current color pattern includes a good bit of your favorite color.

Quote:
I couldn't help but adverstise/promote my computing platform of choice in some subtle - or not-so-subtle - way. iHopper
That's not a bad name. Imagine the radio communications: "crew to i-hop-per, do you copy?" As for advertising our computing platform, I was at one point thinking of making it dark green with a giant Clarus on two sides. But sewing a giant dogcow, even in 2D, would be too much work.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Those Texas boys look like they're into MEAT...not those pussy pancakes.
, 709. They're good actors too... The ham-guy is actually from one of the Northeastern States and that meet took place in Vermont. But the videographer (he's wearing a cowboy hat and "pulling the Colt" in the QT clip) and a friend flew up from Texas, with his homebuilt hot air balloon checked in as luggage. Just like with PowerBooks, small and light reigns supreme.

Escher

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-12, 08:43

Make it black, with a big slab gray "X", but people would probably think it's a Malcolm X statement.

I'd make it sunny colors: oranges and yellows. Would stand out against a blue (or even gray) sky really well.

CloudDancer

With your feet hanging down and all...
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 08:50

Quote:
Make it black, with a big slab gray "X", but people would probably think it's a Malcolm X statement.
Yeah. You can never rely on people to interpret your message reliably.

Quote:
I'd make it sunny colors: oranges and yellows. Would stand out against a blue (or even gray) sky really well.
Absolutely. Bright colors also work great for a night-glow. Yellow is my favorite color and the color of the old envelope as well. Another thought is black with bright highlights. But I'm not sure I want too much contrast between colors.

Escher

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-12, 08:56

Model it after the Dutch National Soccer Team. Some alternating pattern of Royal Blue and "Scates Orange" with a bad-ass Lion-Crown emblem.

Even if no one knows what it is, it will still be cool as heaven.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-12, 09:09

Escher - don't know if you're a Star Wars fan or not ... but this thing is screaming for "Skywalker"

... orange and black colour scheme with a lightsaber or luminous stripe (in flourescent green) emblazoned across it.

OK - maybe that went too far.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-12, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Model it after the Dutch National Soccer Team. Some alternating pattern of Royal Blue and "Scates Orange" with a bad-ass Lion-Crown emblem.

Even if no one knows what it is, it will still be cool as heaven.
OMG!!! Look at that tongue!!!!!

Heeheehahahahaha

(oops...sorry...couldn't resist )

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 09:25

Quote:
Moogs: Is the logo you posted above supposed to be light-orange waves on dark-organge background? I don't see any royal blue. Those waves (and the lion crown) look great. Unfortunately, anything that goes beyond the plain rectangular panels (with convex sides) of the envelope design would be too complicated for my first homebuilt balloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Escher - don't know if you're a Star Wars fan or not ... but this thing is screaming for "Skywalker"

... orange and black colour scheme with a lightsaber or luminous stripe (in flourescent green) emblazoned across it.
Mac+: Skywalker is actually a good name, even though I think other pilots have used it for their balloons before. Luminous lightsaber stripes on black might look nice.

There's also an additional color element that I had forgotten about. There is some load-bearing webbing that will run along the vertical seams of the envelope. Other balloon builders have used custom-dyed webbing to good effect (see a friend's green balloon with yellow webbing).

BTW: I'm working on a 3D CAD wireframe and 2D rendering, which should be done in the next month or two. At that point I'll be able to post a realistic design blank for some easy coloring fun with the paint bucket tool.

Escher

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Ah, the tongue. The part of the (fe)male anatomy where size really matters.

Escher
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-12, 09:48

yeah - that webbing can be effective if used as a contrast colour - green and gold ... nice colour scheme! (now, why would I think that?)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-12, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol

Heeheehahahahaha

(oops...sorry...couldn't resist )

Someone needs some more birthday cake.
You're so bad...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-12, 11:29

Quote:
Someone needs some more birthday cake.
You're so bad...
Ohhhh, yes. I am a *VERY, VERY* bad girl indeed.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-12, 12:10

Shape and relative position over your head suggest only two design concepts.

Light Bulb... it's the floating idea moment. Call it the "Flying iDea"
Mylar wrapping on the bottom panels to imitate the metal sleeve of the bulb, frosted white panels with a filament design. Perhaps the flame will look like a lit filament anyway.

Floating Crown/Python Foot (depending on your sense of humour.)
Perhaps the Python foot is impractical as a shape (ditto a crown), but the overhead position seems to cry out for a suspended hat floating in space. Maybe a giant propeller beanie or mostly transparent panels and a single gold band as a floating halo.

I'm not clear if there are material limitations or safety restrictions on 'invisible hazards' which might preclude the use of transparent fabric or highly reflective mylar, but if they are possibilities, it seems to widen the options from a visual appearance point of view.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-12, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Shape and relative position over your head suggest only two design concepts.... Light Bulb... Floating Crown/Python Foot
Wow, you're creative, curiousuburb! The light bulb has been done before, in a special shape balloon. Plus white fabric doesn't age very well. I love the floating crown idea. Unfortunately, transparent material is not heat-resistant enough. I tried to image-Google "python foot" but couldn't quite figure out what it is. Do you mean a Monty Python Foot that would crush me underneath it?

Quote:
I'm not clear if there are material limitations or safety restrictions on 'invisible hazards' which might preclude the use of transparent fabric or highly reflective mylar,
I definitely appreciate your open thinking. Both transparent and reflective materials are not an option for this first balloon. But I will definitely keep them in mind for a future project. On second thought, the white I have is somewhat translucent and might work.

I should have elaborated on materials. I'll be using silicone-coated ripstop nylon of the kind used in parachutes. Available colors from my supplier are: sky blue, red, lime (medium green), royal (blue), white, kelly (dark green), black, purple (dark eggplant), cantelope (neon orange), light blue, lemon (neon yellow), silver (gray-ish), jade (dark teal-ish), plum (Barney purple/pink), orange, yellow (warmer shade, going on gold), and navy (blue).

Continued thanks for everyone's input!

Escher

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-12, 19:02

Escher:

No, there was no blue in that particular logo I posted... just wanted you to see the orange / lion crown logo. I just happen to know they sometimes use royal blue because I've seen the unis in past world cup matches... pretty cool combo.

...into the light of a dark black night.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-12, 21:03

Monty Python foot was what I had in mind.
Thought "Python foot" ruled everything else out... now that I think of it, you could also try the proverbial Monty Python 6000 ton weight suspended over your head... might be good for a laugh or two.

How about a giant head? Attach streamers to one side and make the world's largest flying mullet.

On rereading my original post, I should have clarified that 'only two concepts' seemed worth mentioning at the time. Not that two were all I could come up with. Especially given that I actually listed three.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-08-12 at 21:08.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-13, 08:28

Quote:
No, there was no blue in that particular logo I posted... just wanted you to see the orange / lion crown logo. I just happen to know they sometimes use royal blue because I've seen the unis in past world cup matches... pretty cool combo.
Hey Moogs, I did see the team's orange jerseys with blue collars. Indeed a nice combo. Check out this balloon classified for a visual reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
you could also try the proverbial Monty Python 6000 ton weight suspended over your head... might be good for a laugh or two.
Like a giant anvil? That would be a fun idea for a special shape. For now, I have to stick with the relatively sedate 8-gore bulbous design.

Quote:
How about a giant head? Attach streamers to one side and make the world's largest flying mullet.
"The largest mullet on earth!" Fun idea. Better than the Van Gogh head currently traveling the skies. Of course, nobody outside the US has any idea what a mullet is or signifies.

Quote:
I should have clarified that 'only two concepts' seemed worth mentioning at the time. Not that two were all I could come up with. Especially given that I actually listed three.
Brianstorming like this is all about coming up with more ideas than needed or possible. So you're right no track, by thinking outside the box.

I was listening to the Aldo Nova album linked from the 2nd speedhole and had an idea: How about a simple bursting star-like pattern? And then name the Cloudhopper BallooNova?

Escher