Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

coke spilled on PB G4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
coke spilled on PB G4
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-22, 17:00

so I spilled some coke on my PB G4 keyboard. I turned the laptop up side down as soon as I could and the PB was still working. Switched it off, remove the battery and I have left it to dry up side down. Some coke have gone near the screen and through the windows near the screen (i think this is where the ventilation is happening). the keyboard was covered with coke. So my questions are
1.what would be the worst case scenario?
2.how long should i leave it to get dry?
3.would the keyboard work?
4.if it is gone through the ventilation system, how bad would it be?

thanks and desperately waiting for an answer

Last edited by Sketch : 2006-03-22 at 17:09.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-22, 17:08

I recall seeing somewhere suggesting using a rubbing alchocol to help displace the water... but would want someone to confirm that.

Can't say about the stickiness, though.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-22, 17:09

Best case scenario, is that it works completely fine, other than your keyboard. All they keys will stick until you remove each key and clean them thoroughly. I spilled coke on my day-old Sega Mega Drive and it worked fine; but a Powerbook is somewhat more complex.
The Mind

2006-03-22, 17:10

Warning - nothing is guarenteed here.

I think your best bet is tofind a hex key and remove the keyboard. Soark the keyboard in clean water -keep it damp so the coak DOES NOT DRY. Pick up some distilled water asap (eg used for topping up car bateries) and flush the keyboard. Place the keyboard in a warm area and alow to naturaly dry.

I think leaving the coke to dry will cause more problems as would alowing non distilled or deionised water to dry

Steve
The Mind

2006-03-22, 17:21

Sorry one thing to add.

Check before removing keys - I heard they often break when replaced (althoughI guess that depends on the model)

Steve
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-22, 17:22

Use distilled water to clean the keys, not tap water.
The Mind

2006-03-22, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Use distilled water to clean the keys, not tap water.
Agree if you have distilled available - if not tap and keeping wet is your best option.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-22, 17:29

alright... thanks for the answers to the keyboard questions. But what about the 4th question? any help/advice/suggestions?

also how do i remove my keyboard? would i screw it up by trying to remove it?
The Mind

2006-03-22, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman009
alright... thanks for the answers to the keyboard questions. But what about the 4th question? any help/advice/suggestions?
Vent shouldnt be a problem once it has fully dried - only problem I can see is if the vent gets hot enough to melt the sugar and I can't see it getting that hot.

Quote:
also how do i remove my keyboard? would i screw it up by trying to remove it?
My powerbook has hex bolts in the top corners (12") - I believe you use these to remove the kb however I have never tried on mine.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-22, 17:44

sorry i forgot to mention... my PB is 15"... i think that makes it bit more difficult. If i am not mistaken i have to take out the bottom cover to remove the keyboard. am I right?
The Mind

2006-03-22, 17:46

Quote:
sorry i forgot to mention... my PB is 15"... i think that makes it bit more difficult. If i am not mistaken i have to take out the bottom cover to remove the keyboard. am I right?
try here
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95132

Steve
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-22, 17:52

alright obviously i am not in this world. Here are details of my PB:
G4 1.3 Ghz Aluminum 15". Steve thanks for the link but that is for older PBs. sorry for the confusion.
The Mind

2006-03-22, 18:05

Quote:
alright obviously i am not in this world. Here are details of my PB:
G4 1.3 Ghz Aluminum 15". Steve thanks for the link but that is for older PBs. sorry for the confusion.
is this of any help
http://www.sterpin.net/uk/clavieralu15uk.htm

Steve
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-22, 18:21

o.k. thanks for the link steve... one more question, if i go to the apple store and ask them to clean and check the system how much would it cost me (approximation would be fine). I have no apple care, no warranty, nothing basically. Or should I just leave that option out of my mind?
The Mind

2006-03-22, 18:29

Quote:
o.k. thanks for the link steve... one more question, if i go to the apple store and ask them to clean and check the system how much would it cost me (approximation would be fine). I have no apple care, no warranty, nothing basically. Or should I just leave that option out of my mind?
Sorry cant help you here may be able t suggest somewhere if your UK - best bet to phone Apple. Seriously though my personal opinion is that if it was going to go bang it would have done when you spilt the coke. Clean what you can with paper towels / cotton buds. Wash and flush the keyboard and let everything dry for a few days. 3rd party companies will be cheapest for cleaning but an expensive powerbook may be worth shelling out quite a bit of cash on if a lot of coke entered the vent.

Best of luck

Steve
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-03-23, 06:45

so i decided to start the comp. The startup sound came, but following that i heard 2 beep sounds and the computer shutdown. so any ideas? Tried restarting again, but again the same thing.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-23, 08:39

fried the mobo