Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Time Machine error message

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Machine error message
Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2008-01-11, 15:35

Every once in a while, this error message pops up on my screen. I am using a dedicated 500 GM drive for Time Machine and there is nothing--other than this error message--that indicates it cannot be written to. The problem seems to correct itself a few hours later, or the next day, but it always reappears. BTW, the indexing is completed (it took 6 days, but I have 5 other HDs hooked up).

Has anyone else gotten this message (it just reappeared as I am posting this)?

Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2008-01-17, 09:25

I located the problem by bringing up info (via command-i). The disk is locked (i.e. read only). Clicking on the lock does not open it, but if I bring up Disk utility and click on "verify", then stop verification, I can go back to the info window and (as administrator) open the lock.

That's great, it solves the problem and starts Time Machine doing its thing, but I can't keep the lock open. Every time I reboot, it comes up locked and I have to go through the same routine.

Any thoughts on how I can make my backup disk permanently readable?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-01-17, 10:28

I have had the same thing happen with my Drobo. I just eject it; pull the USB cable; give it a second or two then reconnect the USB cable and it's fine.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2008-01-17 at 10:45.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-01-17, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurdley View Post
That's great, it solves the problem and starts Time Machine doing its thing, but I can't keep the lock open. Every time I reboot, it comes up locked and I have to go through the same routine.

Any thoughts on how I can make my backup disk permanently readable?
The lock you're talking about isn't a read/write lock for the drive, it's the lock on the settings you're looking at in that window. Somebody can open that window, but they can't change anything unless they unlock that lock. You'll see that lock in lots of places in the System Preferences.

As for why your drive just randomly goes read-only, I don't know.

It's interesting that unlocking that settings lock makes it work, though. Perhaps it has something to do with the authentication that happens when you do that. (??)

Ugh.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-17, 10:49

Good guess, spotcatbug... the authentication there is the same as doing sudo at the command line - a five minute window during which you have Awesome Ghod Powah. Or something like that.

Looking at the permissions on that drive, I have a sneaking suspicion that TM is given its own username/group to do its mojo. (Most low level tools are.) If that's truly how the permissions are set up... TM doesn't have write access to the drive.

I don't suppose you played with those permissions after setting up TM for the first time? Or maybe TM simply didn't set them up correctly?

Edit: Looks like the issue: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6322861