AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPods will get bigger

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPods will get bigger
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-02, 10:44

At least the capacity will.
Apple has ordered the newest Toshiba 60gb 1.8in drives, most likely for use in the next revision of the iPod. More info:
right here

Come waste your time with me
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-02, 10:58

You scared me there for a second
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-02, 11:19

Cool.

I hope they can include a price drop too.

That would be swell.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-06-02, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
Cool.

I hope they can include a price drop too.

That would be swell.
while they probably won't drop it, I doubt they will raise it, effectively lowering the price of 40GB, 20GB and 10 GB models
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-02, 14:26

By this X-Mas I would bet this is the iPod lineup:

iPod mini 4 GB $199

iPod mini 8 GB $249

iPod 20 GB $299

iPod 40 GB $399

iPod 60GB $499

I'm sure that the iPod biggie will be in it's 4G mode with none of the features that geeks want like movie output and the rest. The HPod (where the hell is it anyway?) will fill out the lineup somehow.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-02, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
while they probably won't drop it, I doubt they will raise it, effectively lowering the price of 40GB, 20GB and 10 GB models
Apple is ditching the 15 Gb again and bringing back the 10 Gb:wow: .I like the 15 Gb, it offers the perfect amount of song capacity.
EDS66

2004-06-02, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
At least the capacity will.
Apple has ordered the newest Toshiba 60gb 1.8in drives, most likely for use in the next revision of the iPod. More info:
right here

New 40-Gigabite iHOP Breakfast Platter Holds Up To 10,000 Pancakes
(right-hand side of this week's www.theonion.com)

Jokes aside, I am definitely getting the 60 gigger, as long as Apple does not go crazy with pricing.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-02, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Apple is ditching the 15 Gb again and bringing back the 10 Gb:wow: .I like the 15 Gb, it offers the perfect amount of song capacity.
No, the 15 will stick around...or maybe not. It's possible they will go to 20, 40, and 60 gig sizes for current prices. Either that or a 15, 40, 60 lineup seems possible too Only time will tell. I'm sure HOM just forgot about the 10 gig model being replaced.

Come waste your time with me
¡Damned!

2004-06-03, 08:18

ATI redux?

Apparently Jobs and crew are .

Unlike the ATI fiasco however, I don't know if Apple could go to another HD manufacturer if they wanted to. Is anyone else making similar drives in these capacities?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-03, 08:33

Oh my gosh, get over yourself, Steve Jobs.

I mean, whoop-di-do...a 60GB iPod is coming. Really? We NEVER would've guessed that. I mean, I thought they were going to go DOWN in size, and the next models would be 2, 7 and 18GB.

Yeah, Toshiba shouldn't be saying anything beyond "we have a new 60GB 1.8" hard drive coming...". Mentioning "Apple has bought a bunch" was cheesy on their part, but hardly the end of the world and isn't exactly giving away some huge secret that we had no idea about.

iPod capacities are, most likely, going to continue INCREASING, right? So I don't think anyone in the entire world is somehow shocked, overjoyed, dismayed, elated, etc. at this news. Doesn't change anything, one way or the other.

Apple can be a LITTLE pissy about this, but if they go and tell Toshiba to "fuck off" and then a year from now, they have trouble keeping up with iPod demand, well...

Yeah, Toshiba kinda stepped in it by mentioning Apple. But it didn't exactly give away the existence of a dual G6 iBook or 48" Drive-In Display. I mean, isn't nearly everyone in the entire clue-having world expecting a 60GB iPod by year's end, just going by history and doing the math?

I'm betting Jobs is one of those bosses - like mine - who just likes to throw a hissyfit any time he can because he knows, deep down, no one can say or do anything about it (other than a group of us giggling behind his back, at lunch, at what a wound-up, hyper-dramatic dick he is).

I'd almost take a job at Apple just to be in the position to say "Dude, shut up and take a pill, for crying out loud. You big sissy." It would be worth the firing because they'd probably write a big profile on me in Wired or Time "The Man Who Called Steve an iBaby"), and I'd be elevated to Mythical Legend status at Mac message boards worldwide.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-06-03 at 08:41.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-03, 09:24

Quote:
I'm sure HOM just forgot about the 10 gig model being replaced.
What 10GB model? Right now it's 4, 15, 20, 40. Using history as my guide the 15 will be dropped and the other two will slot down to make room for the new 60GB model. Although, I could see the HPod filling in the lower size HD, but full sized iPod area. 10GB and 15GB HPods, for $199 and $249.

I'm sure Apple is pissed, but not because the size of the drive leaked. I for one knew that the 40GB is really a doubled platter 20GB. So the 60 is going to be the same. I see the big issue of this 'leak' is that it talks about a time frame. I'm sure Apple was planning a 'Special Music Event' for some time in the middle of July to announce iTMS in Europe, HPods, and the 4G iPod.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-03, 10:47

Whoops! Sorry, it was Waro that mentioned the 10 gig model, not you. My apologies.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-03, 10:52

Well, they still can!

It'll still be great news, a great product, good news for Europe, etc. Toshiba didn't take all that away with their motormouth ways.

Had Toshiba said nothing and Apple put out a press release in July titled something like "Music To Our Ears" or whatever and inviting the press to a "special event, sharing the love of music with the world and expanding the digital hub", most of us would've probably put two and two together and figured it out anyway, and there would've been 5-15 threads about it here, .com, etc.

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-06-04, 04:06

This is interesting. Will there be a thick two-platter 40 GB model and a thick two-platter 60 GB model or will there be a slim one-platter 30 GB model? That's a steep jump from 30 to 60... They need to bring the top model well under $500 too.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-06-06, 18:07

Quote:
Whoops! Sorry, it was Waro that mentioned the 10 gig model, not you. My apologies.
yeah, and I stand by it, there are still 10GB iPods out there for sale, and they will become cheaper once new ones come out

as will 5 GB 15 GB 20, 30,40..etc. they will all go down in price if a 60GB is introduced in the place of the 40
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-06, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
yeah, and I stand by it, there are still 10GB iPods out there for sale, and they will become cheaper once new ones come out

as will 5 GB 15 GB 20, 30,40..etc. they will all go down in price if a 60GB is introduced in the place of the 40
So you are talking about refurbs. I thought you meant the 10 GB will be back for the 4th Generation. My mistake.