AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Warm up time for LCD TV ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Warm up time for LCD TV ?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-05, 22:49

Hey there !
I bought a Samsung TV 2 weeks ago. There was a deal on it 600$ instead of 700$ and I picked an opened box for 530$.

It looks great and all but it's a little bit uneven in the bottom right corner. It needs to be black to be able to notice so I don't bother that much. Today, I opened the TV and I noticed that the little spot was repeated on every corners, and very noticable !! But after a while (maybe 30minutes... 1 hours, didn't timed it) it faded away. Only the little barely noticable spot in the bottom right corner was staying.

So the question here is : Is it normal ? I mean I know there is a warm up time on LCD tv so they reach there maximum brightness after a while. But does my tv supposed to be super even ?

I'm just asking cause tomorrow I'll probably go to the store to see what's happening and I would like to know what I'm talking about and not be saying bullshit

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-11-05, 23:05

No sir - doesn't sound normal at all.

Last week, one dead pixel was reason enough for me to exchange my MacBook - I needed it to be perfect. Surely corner brightness issues are cause for action too?

You ask me for a hamburger.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-11-05, 23:12

Hmmm.. Open Box, discount?

LCD panels do burn-in, contrary to popular belief. Not as bad as Plasmas, but they do all the same...

I wonder if your screen had been on display showing the same image for long periods of time?

Are the patches there every-time you turn it on, or are they fading with more use?

From what you say it's not 100% clear if you are talking about light related patches, or panel blemishes.. If it's simply light / dark patches in the illumination it may be something to do with the display lighting rather like the sub-standard patches of light and dark on some Apple MBP screens..

Either way Samsung screens are awesome, and super good quality.. So it should not be doing any of the things you describe.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-05, 23:34

It wasn't a demo. It's a tv that someone bring back. You have 30 days to do it. The guy couldn't tell me why the guy returned it.

It's hard to explain as I'm not english but I'll try The spots are caused by the backlight. You know, you see some of this on cheap or old panel... uneven backlighting so you see more light at the bottom.

For me, there are 4 spot, one in each corner. It's like a little follow spot comming out the corner and aiming at the center. So it's little triangles of white light (when the background is black).

I didn't tested it so much. I'll try to see what happen tomorrow morning. I can't really test it now cause the tv is opened for a while now and only the barely visible is still there.

I'll keep you informed... keep posting guys

** After reading my post... I'l try to take a picture tomorrow morning to show you (If it do it again).

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-11-05, 23:40

That sounds almost like the defect I thought I had on my brand new iPhone.. It was back in the day when they had that starburst third party menu system which showed a little white starburst with rays in one corner of the LCD which you touch to bring up all the icons... I forget it's name.. In the taxi after going through all the hassle of getting it I decided to just accept it.. FIrst adopter enthusiasm! It was really ugly and looked like the screen was cracked on the corner. I was super happy when I found out it was software!!

In your case that obviously is not the reason. What you have to ask yourself is why did the other guy bring it back?

Assuming it has the same guarantee I would definitely change it. It sounds like the panel has got crushed slightly and that the case is now not 100% square and you are getting some light leaking at the corners...

In any case the longevity of your backlight is now in question IMO.
If you can, change it.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-06, 07:01

Here you go... as promised, the picture.

It's not as noticable as I remembered but I think it's still unacceptable. I going to the store tonight to see what's the procedure.

Click for full size.

Yay for Megaman !!

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-11-06, 08:48

Totally noticeable in that photo. That would really bug me.

My 32" LCD TV doesn't have anything like that. There's no warm-up period for it - the picture looks great as soon as the picture comes on. It does have an annoying boot-up period though. It takes like 30 seconds for the damn thing to finally show a picture, after you press the "on" button.

I'd return it.

Ugh.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-11-06, 09:04

Mine's like spotcat's. Mine takes forever to turn on, but once it does, it looks as good as it always does. I'd be annoyed by the corners, too. You got a good deal, but only if it doesn't annoy you when you watch it. Personally, I'd be bothered by that all the time.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-06, 09:49

Yeah I'll ask for a new one. It's still on warranty so it's not a big deal. If they don't want to, I just take my money back so it's really not a realy problem.

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-11-06, 11:09

I have two LCD TVs and have never seen this. I think it is a manufacturing defect. It sounds like the original buyer brought it back, and the retailer rather then sending it back to manufacturer's distribution rep decided to hold an 'open box' sale. I would take it back and demand your money back.

I have bought two LCDs and one Plasma all online and if you want to get a deal, use both Amazon (they have surprising good deals) and one of the search engine bots like mysimon.com.

Goodluck.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-11-06, 14:48

Yeah, nothing like that on my 32" Panasonic LCD. Comes on very quickly with no warmup.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-06, 21:47

I went to the store and showed him the picture. In fact, there was 2 guys. One of them just said "Megaman, hahaha... awsome".

They asked me to bring back the tv and exchange it for a new one right away. Great service, really satisfied.

The new one is super black on all corners. Yay !!!

ps. It's pretty cool that I picked that opened box, got a discount on it, and then exchange it for brand new one

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-07, 05:07

Well thats good news.

I must admit my Sony Bravia has been great. I would recommend the Bravias to anyone.