AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

The Black and White Photos Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Black and White Photos Thread
Page 7 of 12 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-03-23, 18:29

I didn't try infrared photography yet, but from some friends, I got some more information:
- Not all cameras are equally suited for IR, it depends on filter which is installed in front of the sensor. Some cameras have a weaker filter (e.g. the D70), some have a stronger filter (AFAIK e.g. the D200). Weaker filters are better for IR.

- Some lenses have "hot spots" which are only visible in IR. E.g. the Tokina 12-24 is not very well suited for IR, whereas the Nikon 12-24 is...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2009-03-23, 18:35

They say that, and I thought so too, but in my experience it's a lot more lenient than certain sources make it out to be.

I did this with no problems when I had the D200, and supposedly, the CMOS censor and D700 are awful at IR, except they work just fine for me.

The D700 actually produces fantastic IR images because it seems like it's a stricter IR filter built in (A R72 seems to cut out more near IR on a D700 than a D70). You just need a longer exposure, that's all.

Besides, we're not doing IR imaging for anything journalistic or scientific. It's leaning towards Holga territory anyway.

I think it's worth a try, that filter is pretty cheap.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-03-23, 18:43

Cheaper than retro-fitting your old camera's sensor, anyway. You can send in your D70s and whatnot and for something like $350 (I think) you can have the IR filter removed and you get a native IR camera. You can buy kits too I think. Not sure if someone here pointed that out or what but I remember reading about it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-03-25, 16:26

Steve,

Did you have to do much adjustment to the images once they were taken or is that how the came out of the camera?? (Aperture adjustment versus Photoshop)

As as i said before those IR photos are superb and i won't mind getting out there and having a go myself.
Cheers
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2009-03-25, 17:27

The pics on my website are a mixture of 2 breeds of IR workflow that are both pretty much achievable if you get that filter I linked you to.

The ones in colour, the only major adjustment is a blue and red channel swap (blues become red, reds become blue)

The ones in black and white are either just made into black and white or using a different filter (850nm) on my converted D70. That is no adjustment beyond contrast.

If you have a picture in mind (maybe the look that you want to achieve), I can tell you more specifically.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-06-29, 12:40

I think the following picture is adequate to resurrect this thread...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-06-29, 12:53

I'd say so. Really nice shot. How do you guys do your B&W shots, in camera or later when editing?
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-06-29, 14:51

Normally, I use the photoshop "black & white" function or the channel mixer. With these function, you can change the lightness level of the several colors and therefore have the option to fine tune the effects. You also have the freedom to define later in post processing which picture you want to convert to b&w.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2009-06-29, 18:54

I like this thread Some of my attempts. Hope you enjoy.

More in my Flickr set if interested. Thanks for looking!

Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-06-29, 20:41

I love B&W. I especially like Gspot's bird up above.

This was a single clematis flower brought in from our garden (I didn't have the heart to snip any more flowers from the plant), sitting on our kitchen counter.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-06-29, 23:59

Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-06-30, 00:10

What's that from? Are those some TT plugs I see there at the bottom?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-06-30, 00:44

That's the patchbay for my mix stage at work.

Yep, those are TT's - they're for the Lynx machine control (old skool, but we have to use tape sometimes) and the cables in the background are for the digital patchbay that ties three stages, four Pro Tools rigs, one Final Cut machine and many other digital devices together.
!Marc!

2009-06-30, 06:48

Heres a night shot from the beach right into a sodium light (handheld 2 seconds, ISO400) that was totally awful in color, but some BW and adjustments saved it imo.

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-07-02, 01:04

Couldn't post this in the other thread, but took this picture of my building last summer with my iphone. Turned it to black and white and upped the contrast (i think) and this is the result. I'll probably get a new camera before going to paris in a few weeks and will probably try to replicate this shot but with a much better camera (compared to my 1G iphone haha)

(for a comparison of what it actually looks like, it's the first city tower in downtown houston)
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 07:10

Nice pics. I'm glad to see that this thread is up and running again.
Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2009-07-02, 08:09

That's a remarkable cell phone photo. We see so many blurry phone images that we tend to forget that such as the above can result.

Perhaps we should have a cell phone photo thread.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-07-02, 09:08

That iPhone pic is really amazing! Looks incredibly sharp and the high contrast makes a lot of sense for the subject. Certainly looks like it was done on purpose.

I like Marc's picture too, especially the streaks in front of the boat. Did you zoom while you were taking that picture?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-07-02, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
That's a remarkable cell phone photo. We see so many blurry phone images that we tend to forget that such as the above can result.

Perhaps we should have a cell phone photo thread.
with a bunch of people here getting the new iphone and other phones with pretty good cameras that's not a bad idea
!Marc!

2009-07-02, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I like Marc's picture too, especially the streaks in front of the boat. Did you zoom while you were taking that picture?
Cheers, no zoom, it was just detail recovered when editting, I would image its origin is similar to bright sunshine coming through the clouds.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-07-02, 13:53

Here is an attempt at a B&W, it was kind of dull in colour, but I think this looks better.

Last edited by PB PM : 2009-07-02 at 16:15.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 20:46

Inside of my in-laws' barn, looking out:

Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 21:18

Someone in the neighbourhood has an old Enfield, partially held together by tape:

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 23:46

Odd shot of the little feline unit.

!Marc!

2009-07-05, 14:53

I am in a majorly bad mood this weekend so I cant be arsed to even pick up the camera So I have just been playing around with some of the pics I took recently. Two of my favourites from Avebury

sunrain
Veteran Member

2009-07-25, 02:56

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-08-18, 14:49

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-18, 14:54

Nice picture.

Our little slice of the universe is just so pretty, don't you think?

*immediately notices the new, subtler watermark and is happy*
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-08-18, 15:59

Agreed, on both counts.
!Marc!

2009-08-23, 16:39

I just turned on the light and saw this beastie climbing up my wall!

This is the biggest MFing housespider I've ever seen, I grabbed my rule - he was 11cm long atleast, but then i touched his leg and he ran off at quite some pace. As I have all my camping gear ready to load tomorrow, I hope I dont find him in my sleeping bag.