User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to Create Excel Table in Word 2004?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to Create Excel Table in Word 2004?
gbh

2007-06-20, 21:21

I am used to using Word 2007 where you can create a spreadsheet directly in word without having to do so outside and insert it. It is very easy, seamless and immediately. However, it looks like in word 2004 it is much more involved. Is there any simple way I can create spreadsheets directly in my word 2004 document like I do in the windows version? The way it appears you have to do it- create the spreadsheet then insert is much more time consuming. I need any help I can get.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-21, 00:06

Isn't that good enough for you? (I'm not sure if that was what you were talking or not)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2007-06-21, 00:38

A table does not have the same flexibility as an embedded spreadsheet. You could just open a spreadsheet and then select a few cells and cut and then paste special into the word document. You should have the option to embed the spreadsheet into the document.

Then all you need to do is double click on the embedded spreadsheet and you should be taken into the Excel environment.

Hopefully all this makes sense.

=)

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-21, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
A table does not have the same flexibility as an embedded spreadsheet. You could just open a spreadsheet and then select a few cells and cut and then paste special into the word document. You should have the option to embed the spreadsheet into the document.
That's what I do, too. Word's spreadsheet editor is pretty much ass, so I stick with Excel for creating them and "paste special" (does that sound stupid to anyone else?) into Word.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
gbh

2007-06-21, 07:00

Thanks for the ideas. I have to use lots of spreadsheets throughout documents to do elaborate calculations and why tables are no good.

What you describe, though, is what I want to avoid- cutting and pasting, etc. Contrast this with Word 2003 or 2007 for windows where there is a button on the word toolbar, I click it and its immediately inserts a blank spreadsheet IN the document and when I modify it it is in the document and stays with it. I resize it, modify it, etc., in the document, which is much easier, much faster, etc.

However, with Word 2004, I have to create a spreadsheet outside a document and save it and then insert it, or copy it and paste it. These extra steps may not sound like much, but I challenge anyone to do one fourth as fast as I can with Word 2007 or 2003.

I want to use and move to the MAC and am trying to figure out if there is a way to do this similarly. If not, I may just have to park the MacBook Pro until the new office 2008 comes out in the fall and hope it has a similar capability.

I also tried NeoOffice and OpenOffice, but it looks like they have the same limitations. Any other ideas?

The other option I have is to use Parallels and Office 2007. I have done that and it works fine, but it involves a little hassle.

Any ideas appreciated as I want to move permanently to the Mac.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-21, 10:05

Okay, now that I understand the question better, you can do this without having to firing up the Excel.

Insert -> Object -> Mircosoft Excel Worksheet.

But if you want a button to click on,

Edit -> Toolbars -> Customize

In dialog, click "Command" tabs.

Scroll down to InsertExcelTable and select that.

You then will get this button in your Normal toolabr (assuming that is what you have selected. If you would prefer another toolbar, there's a drop down list on the bottom of the list that lets you select which toolbar you want the button to go.)

HTH.
gbh

2007-06-21, 10:34

That is a nice trick and thanks.

However, it still does not solve the problem. It still means that when I click on it in the document to work on the spreadsheet it opens up an external document instead of working in the document. If you try to re-resize it you cannot go beyond five columns and there is a severe limitation on row numbers. None of this is present in the windows versions. You just click on the spreadsheet in the document itself and drag the handles to make it as big or small as you want it.
gbh

2007-06-21, 10:39

Plus, I forgot to add that you do not have to save an external spreadsheet. By saving the document it is saved.