Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

what if apple went retro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
what if apple went retro?
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-05, 00:04

Wouldn't it be neat if Apple released a line of retro computers, like the old iMacs and iBooks, but with updated specs? I just thought it'd be neat for them to bring em back for like a limited edition kinda thing, y'know?
Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-05, 00:07

What if they went really retro and did a TRS-80 kinda thing?! That would be cool and they could save a ton on that silly industrial design stuff!
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-02-05, 00:11

Or you could get your retro fix by visiting Here
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-05, 00:26

Apple going retro would suck, plain and simple. I want them to keep going in the minimalist direction, where less is more. The less there is that gets in our way as users, the better the experience, I think.

But...throwing things like colors in on products like the iPod mini is a nice touch. It keeps things from being too sterile.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 00:29

although, it would be kind of funny if maybe 10 years from now, beige boxes basically don't exist on any modern computer, and apple suddenly went all beige.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-05, 00:40

I don't mean go back to the ugly beige boxes. I mean like the colorful iMacs and iBooks... something along those lines. And I mean for a LIMITED TIME, not as a whole line.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 00:59

Well, if you think about it, Apple is kind of going retro. If you look at the iMac G5 the right way, it kinda looks like an original compact Mac, with the large area under the screen. Also, the eMac looks like the G3 iMac, except without the colors. I expect that once Apple comes out of its thin-and-light laptop phase (see the New Line of Laptops thread), we will probably see some designs reminiscent of the old iBooks/G3 PB's.

On a related note, if Apple released a limited edition (like the 20th Anniversary Mac) version of, say, the Quicksilver G4 PM (with G5 of course), or a colorized version of the eMac, that would be awesome, and would probably sell like hotcakes.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-05, 01:00

that's almost exactly what i'm talking about Blue!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I expect that once Apple comes out of its thin-and-light laptop phase (see the New Line of Laptops thread), we will probably see some designs reminiscent of the old iBooks/G3 PB's.
I highly doubt this, the only thing I could see them doing... would be to have a big stripe down the back like the old powerbooks. But definitely no bevels.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-05, 01:13

I don't expect this to happen either. I just thought it would be an interesting idea...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 01:39

Beige is the new Brushed Metal!!!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-05, 01:48

I think we're going to be seeing less brushed metal in the future, in favor of the Titanium PowerBook look with the two-toned color. In my opinion, my Alu PowerBook doesn't look so good when compared to my brother's TiBook.

Look at the iPod, still two-toned.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-05, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I expect that once Apple comes out of its thin-and-light laptop phase ...
that they will lose most of their customers
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I think we're going to be seeing less brushed metal in the future, in favor of the Titanium PowerBook look with the two-toned color. In my opinion, my Alu PowerBook doesn't look so good when compared to my brother's TiBook.

Look at the iPod, still two-toned.

Yea, it's possible. I hope not though. The TiBooks look like crap next to the Aluminum books
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-05, 11:58

If they released beige, and called it Lunar Graphite or some shit, you fanboys would slurp up every drop and you know it.

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
If they released beige, and called it Lunar Graphite or some shit, you fanboys would slurp up every drop and you know it.

oooh lunar graphite
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-05, 12:19

You know you want it.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 12:32

An updated TAM would be neat. With a G4.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
An updated TAM would be neat. With a G4.

=>

ya think?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-05, 12:49

I was about to say the same thing.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 12:56

Good call...

BUT!

-The iMac lacks the ability to watch TV (from an internal device).
-The iMac has crap speakers... IMO.

Oh, and I find the TAM looks much better. Fuckin' chin... why oh why did Apple give the iMac a chin? hehe...
(and by chin... the TAM has more of one, but it has a use.. (cd drive)...
With the iMac, I would rather it be an extra half inch thicker if they could axe off the chin.)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-05, 13:14

Quote:
Oh, and I find the TAM looks much better. Fuckin' chin... why oh why did Apple give the iMac a chin? hehe...[

Quote:
(and by chin... the TAM has more of one, but it has a use.. (cd drive)...
With the iMac, I would rather it be an extra half inch thicker if they could axe off the chin.)
Damn you and your edits!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Damn you and your edits!
I try.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-05, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Yea, it's possible. I hope not though. The TiBooks look like crap next to the Aluminum books
Not at all. The AluBooks look much cheaper/thicker, and show more dirt. The AluBooks also have a thicker bezel than the TiBook's, which hugs the screen ever so closely.

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 13:47

Quote:
Not at all. The AluBooks look much cheaper/thicker, and show more dirt. The AluBooks also have a thicker bezel than the TiBook's, which hugs the screen ever so closely.
Obviously the concept of personal preference is lost on you.
(which, before you get your panties in a bunch about my initial comment, it was a joke)

For me, it the tibooks that are inherently cheaper looking. the plastic keyboards(that is they LOOK like cheap plastic), the two-tone edges, the non-textured surface. True the aluminum books show dirt easier, and are more prone to pitting, but, as far I'm concerned a clean alubook is hard to beat appearance wise.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the TiBook looked GREAT when it was first released. It was easily the sexiest notebook in the world, But, to me, the aluminum book has a much more modern, refined, and overall appealing look to it.

It's kinda like the original iPod vs the 3rd and 4th generation ones. Personally, I think the 3rd generation has the best look and I like the button layout the best, but when the iPod was first released I thought it looked amazing, now when I see it and think it looks, more or less, crappy.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-02-05 at 13:55.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-05, 14:08

I don't know man, my brother's TiBook makes my loaded AluBook look like a first gen product. Mine is thicker, has a larger border around the screen, and is heavier even. The silver keys show dirt badly, as does the palm rest and everything else on the AluBook. The only thing is, it doesn't scratch as much.

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 14:14

Quote:
I don't know man, my brother's TiBook makes my loaded AluBook look like a first gen product. Mine is thicker, has a larger border around the screen, and is heavier even. The silver keys show dirt badly, as does the palm rest and everything else on the AluBook. The only thing is, it doesn't scratch as much.
Likewise, my roommate's tibook makes my alubook look like the notebook computer of gods! Of course, that's partially because his is corroding, has a fucked up screen, and cracks in the case... So, compared to my Friend's TiBook, my Alubook still looks sexier. But, as they say, different strokes for different blokes.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-05, 15:06

And I am indeed, a bloke.