User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod nano: black or white?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Which iPod nano color do you like better, black or white?
Black 86 65.15%
White 46 34.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

iPod nano: black or white?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
The Grim

2005-09-09, 03:46

English is my third languages, so you will get very confuse reading my post; especially when I got girly panties for my birthday from my grandmother. My point is I order black iPod nano, instead of white ipod nano.
Dave_D

2005-09-09, 10:12

I ran the same Poll in our local MUG forum and the numbers we're getting is pretty similar. Nearly 70% prefer the Black one over the white model. Plus NOBODY really talked about getting a ROKR phone.

Looks like the ROKR is gonna be a dud for sure.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-09, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D
I ran the same Poll in our local MUG forum and the numbers we're getting is pretty similar. Nearly 70% prefer the Black one over the white model. Plus NOBODY really talked about getting a ROKR phone.

Looks like the ROKR is gonna be a dud for sure.
However, other Cingular phones aren't much better.

The Sony Ericson S710a, the Samsung P777?
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-09-09, 10:42

Man, I tried to ignore the Nano as I don't need another iPod (got the original 10g, and the shuffle), but since I was in the market for a bit of photo storage for my holidays, I figured, I could justify it that way, so went for Black.

Damn you Apple, I should just come and work for you, I spend all the money I earn on you anyway, at least this way you could pay the canteen bill!

The force is strong in this one
Planet1960

2005-09-09, 12:15

I'm surprised how little concern there seems to be that the shiney black nano finish is going to show every fingerprint and scratch. I personally like the look of the black nano... but would only consider it after seeing how it looks in a case... probably black leather would look outstanding.

Another question might be... "which nano/case combo looks the best?" We need a photo gallery of nanos in cases... since any iPod that displays photos needs the screen protected.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 12:22

You'll see plenty of pictures pop up in the coming weeks. But as of right now there are no Nano cases on the market (save for Apple's Nano Tubes) because the thing came out three days ago. Give it a month and the market will be flooded with them and you'll be able to make a better choice.

If you want any accessory for that matter, wait a month. You'll have a huge selection of FM transmitters specifically made for the Nano, cases, car chargers...the works. The thing is already selling like crazy, and the big players in the iPod accessory world are already developing products for it.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-09, 12:52

Exactly.

Trust me...by Halloween, there will be gobs of nano-friendly accessories from iSkin, Griffin, etc. to choose from.

I went to iSkin's site last night, just to see if maybe they got a jump on things (maybe a Photoshopped prototype on the front page of what they're working on).

I like their stuff (the colors, the swivel clip, etc.). They'll do something nice for the nano, no doubt.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 12:58

I like their stuff too, I have an iSkin Evo 2 for my 20 gig 4G. I love it. It has a screen and a click wheel protector so the whole thing is protected. It doesn't add much weight or bulk to the iPod. It feels like it should be there. Not to mention it's a great protector.

Come waste your time with me
Planet1960

2005-09-09, 13:42

Form, fit, and function... A nice iSkin black case on the black nano should be hot without being overstated. I'm going to temper my enthusiasm and wait a couple of weeks to actually see what it looks like.

I'm not surprised the iSkins aren't already out there... Apple may have an agreement that allows them a few weeks to sell their tubes (not my style). Even if I get the black, I doubt that it will come out of the case... that's why I say that how the combo looks is most important to me. Thanks for your thoughts/ideas.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-09-09, 15:55

shiny black... I LOVE IT!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-09, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
shiny black... I LOVE IT!
Ehh, the more I see it, the happier I am that I went with the white nano. The black nano just seems like a tv remote or a Sony-design.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 22:45

The RIAA issued a press release stating that they will file suits against all owners of the black iPod nano. The press release implies that music on black nano's is most likely illegaly downloaded through P2P programs like Kazaa or BitTorrent whereas white nano's contain music legally acquired through online stores or from the users existing collection.

Why does the RIAA hate black nano's?

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-09-09, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet1960
I'm surprised how little concern there seems to be that the shiney black nano finish is going to show every fingerprint and scratch.
I can attest to this... I own a Motorola V180 cell with a piano black finish... I have managed to scuff up the finish noticeably in the last six months... That is my primary concern in purchasing a black nano... But overall I still love it...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2005-09-09 at 23:26. Reason: spelling
Akumulator

2005-09-10, 00:51

Just ordered a 4gig WHITE... engraved with my social security number and my mother's maiden name.
Planet1960

2005-09-10, 06:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
I can attest to this... I own a Motorola V180 cell with a piano black finish... I have managed to scuff up the finish noticeably in the last six months... That is my primary concern in purchasing a black nano... But overall I still love it...
Against some good advice from friends, I bought a shiney black 4-runner and took my chances with the finish. Big mistake. Everything showed.
Planet1960

2005-09-10, 06:20

I went to the Apple store and finally saw the black and white together. With all I have read, I was still taken back by how small the nano actually is.

I'm a big fan of Apple products, but I have to say what really struck me was how bland they are. The size doesn't really allow for many interesting design features. The older iPods had rounded corners and areas of contrast. The nano looks like a thin flat strip from a refridgerator. Maybe a matte finish like the mini... or contrasting charcoal?

That said, I should also say that I almost never take my 60g iPhoto anywhere because it is so big and bulky... very disappointing. I'm more than willing to give away a few style points and have a device that I will actuallly use every day. I will no longer obsess over colors and cases. A simple white and protective case and I'll only concern myself with the function. Here it scores a ten.
The Grim

2005-09-10, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Just ordered a 4gig WHITE... engraved with my social security number and my mother's maiden name.
I hope you think twice about this because somebody may use these information to steal your identity, especially iPods are manufacturer in China. I know that lot of people in Asia that would love to get these kinds of information. SSN and mother's maiden name are very important information and should not be given away easily.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-10, 08:43

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he was joking about that?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-10, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he was joking about that?
Why haven't you voted in the poll?
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-09-10, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
He hasn't voted because since the Nano release he has had a wave of creative energy and has decided to mock up the entire Apple line-up on a Nano scale of 3/1.

Mile 1
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-10, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Well, it looks as though pscates made use of his inalienable right!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-09-10, 10:39

I'm on the fence, I prefer black but not if I can't get the lanyard in black, and with in-ear phones as opposed to the buds that don't work for my physicality.

So I'm not on the fence so much as I'm in the queue for the diving board waiting for the water to be just right.

I'm feeling metaphorical today!

Plus i was thinking of using it as reward for a goal in my personal life.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-09-10, 10:39

i haven't voted because i haven't seen them both yet...i ordered the black, but kinda like the white better...just the black hasn't been around before and is new to me so i had to get one

speaking of, does anybody have one yet?

mine has gone from china to alaska and it has now left indianapolis...guess i will get it monday or tuesday...then i get to explain to the wife why i got one when we have 4 iPods in the house

my birthday is next week (maybe on the day it arrives)...but i have already bought myself the scooter...her birthday is also next week...could say it is for her...but i have already been re-doing the family room with hardwood floors and a new couch and entertainment system for her birthday...plus then i wouldn't get to use it

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-09-10 at 10:43.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-10, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
i haven't voted because i haven't seen them both yet...i ordered the black, but kinda like the white better...just the black hasn't been around before and is new to me so i had to get one

speaking of, does anybody have one yet?

mine has gone from china to alaska and it has now left indianapolis...guess i will get it monday or tuesday...then i get to explain to the wife why i got one when we have 4 iPods in the house

my birthday is next week (maybe on the day it arrives)...but i have already bought myself the scooter...her birthday is also next week...could say it is for her...but i have already been re-doing the family room with hardwood floors and a new couch and entertainment system for her birthday...plus then i wouldn't get to use it

g
I've got the 4gb black, still sealed waiting for my decision about keeping it. I've got a 40gig iPod that I love because it holds all my music and I don't need to think about what I'm putting on it. I can't keep both because my wife has me on an electronics budget and with 10 months left in the year, the nano without selling my other iPod would put down to $75. For the rest of the year.

I'll probably keep it, but I'm still not 100% there yet...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-10, 11:20

Well, I did it. HOLY FUCK! It's so freakin' small. Unbelievably tiny. Fuckin' beautiful. Amazing. I'm a materialistic bastard but I don't care, BECAUSE I'M IN LOVE!

Wow.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-10, 12:28

Goon.

That took long enough!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-10, 13:03

I'm going to see if I can trek up to the Mall of America Apple Store today, even though I'm almost positive they'd be out. (I'd call them first, of course.)

Maybe I'll have to get a 4GB model.

But I don't care! I'ts a new iPod! WHOOOOO!
gedto

2005-09-10, 13:46

Got iBook G4. Got iPod 4G. I will certainly go for a black nano... as soon as I get over this guilty feeling of just not needing it at all.

I will probably not get anything, I'll save and donate (got too many things while so many people got nothing...), but I would go for a black 4G one. That's for sure.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-10, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Goon.

That took long enough!
Well, I didn't want to be impulsive about it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-10, 19:45

After looking at my black nano for a while, it reminds me a little of a PSP. A lot, actually. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not....