User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MPB & Leopard... keyboard unresponsive... fixed in 10.5.1?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MPB & Leopard... keyboard unresponsive... fixed in 10.5.1?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-11-15, 22:24

Nobody has talked about that. Does anybody got this problem ? I do !!! And I find it really annoying. I googled it and it seems that a lot of people are suffering from this.

The problem is that the keyboard stop working for a couple of seconds (maybe 15-20 seconds, it depends). Today it happened to times and it was Finder only. Eveything else worked but not in Finder. The other times, it's all apps...

Anyway, if anyone find a solution, feel free to post it.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-11-15, 22:35

It's happened to me partially once, and completely once, on a MacBook.

A restart fixed it both times.
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-11-15, 23:51

I bought Leopard but have been waiting until the 10.5.1 update is out to install it so am ready to install today. I have a MBP though and heard about the MBP keyboard freezing issue. Did the 10.5.1 update fix this problem?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-11-16, 00:01

Threads merged.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-11-20, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Did the 10.5.1 update fix this problem?
No, it's not fixed
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-11-21, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I bought Leopard but have been waiting until the 10.5.1 update is out to install it so am ready to install today. I have a MBP though and heard about the MBP keyboard freezing issue. Did the 10.5.1 update fix this problem?
Interesting, never had a keyboard frizzing issue on my MBP, with 10.5, or now with 10.5.1, so I must be lucky or something.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-21, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Interesting, never had a keyboard frizzing issue on my MBP, with 10.5, or now with 10.5.1
Me neither.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-11-21, 01:22

My MBP is still on the waranty, do you think I could use this issue to claim a repair/exchange ?

I really don't want to do this but if it's not fixed in 10.5.2. This computer is going back to where it came from. I could revert to Tiger but I don't want to do this either. It's not like if it was Vista to XP

Forgot to mention that it happens AT LEAST once a day. Today it happened like 5-6 times. 3 times in 2 minutes... I almost threw my MBP across the room.

Last edited by dmegatool : 2007-11-21 at 01:38.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Interesting, never had a keyboard frizzing issue on my MBP, with 10.5, or now with 10.5.1, so I must be lucky or something.
I never had it with 10.5.0, but I've had it five or six times since 10.5.1 was released.

It's incredibly frustrating, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to what triggers it.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
My MBP is still on the waranty, do you think I could use this issue to claim a repair/exchange ?

I really don't want to do this but if it's not fixed in 10.5.2. This computer is going back to where it came from. I could revert to Tiger but I don't want to do this either. It's not like if it was Vista to XP

Forgot to mention that it happens AT LEAST once a day. Today it happened like 5-6 times. 3 times in 2 minutes... I almost threw my MBP across the room.
I'd say that if you can reproduce the problem for the genius you can. If you can't, well... good luck. I'm thinking at that point it's up to the genius. If this didn't happen in 10.4 but does in 10.5, I would uninstall 10.5, personally.

I've had situations with my MBP that seemed to freeze the key input once or twice, but they always cleared after a few minutes. I've owned my MBP for 4 months or so now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-11-21, 10:31

According to AppleInsiders reports, Apple is calming its due to a hardware flaw on some MBs and MBPs. Some would disagree, but I thought I would throw it out there.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-11-21, 11:34

I heard it was a power saving thing. Anyway, everybody got it's little idea of what it is. I'll wait a little bit to see what happen. If nobody fix it, I'll return it.

Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-12-06, 10:22

I've experienced it, too, after importing everything from another mac while running the new MacBook for the first time.

I tried a few restarts and software updates, but it wouldn't help.

As a brutal solution, knowing that if it wouldn't work I'd do a clean install anyway, I removed all preference files with the name "apple" in it and restarted.
Then the keyboard got fine.

For a while.

After about 30 minutes it stopped working again.

Then, I did a clean install and everything works fine.

One of the strange things was that the function keys and the tab key did work while at least the alphanumeric keys didn't.