User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Migrating Itunes from PC to Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migrating Itunes from PC to Mac
fwtong

2005-10-20, 01:00

I just got my Mac Mini, and it's good to be back to Macs since System 7. Anyways, I'm obviously migrating my Itunes from PC to Mac. I wanted to know if I could move my Playlists over and my Equalizer settings.
babyb

2005-10-20, 04:25

I quite regulary move my PC itunes stuff over to my portable mac.
It becomes very easy once you've got a handle on where each computer stores the files.
PCs (Windows XP) will store the Itunes libary and it's relating playlist info and settings all in one place for you. C://document and Settings/USERNAME/My Documents/My Music/Itunes..
In here you will find an itunes music folder, and itunes.itl file and an iTunes Music Library.xml file.
you need to move all three to the correct place on your mac. ..Usr/Music/itunes..

When you have dropped them in you then launch itunes and find you should be looking at your itunes playlist etc.
Bear in mind that if you drop the files in you'll overwrite the old ones so be sure you make a duplicate before you start.

The great thing that apple did with this app is use xml. files which make this a truly multi platform application. It really can't be easier!
I'm not sure if equaliser settings go over with it but i'm sure it'll become apparent as soon as you try it.
babyb