AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iLife '06:Blogtastic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iLife '06:Blogtastic
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 14:25

Apple instead of replacing the iLife 05 page, they just replace it with an quicktime movie(Ugh for many of you who don't have the new new QT 7.0.4).

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Quote:
iPhoto 6
The easiest way to import, organize, edit and share your digital photos.

New Features
-Enjoy blazing performance and support for up to 250,000 photos.
-Use Photocasting to share albums with other iPhoto users through .Mac.
-Edit and compare images in full-screen mode.
-Create pro-quality greeting cards, calendars and books with your favorite photos.
-Enhance your photos or give them a unique look with one click.
-Easily build photo blogs and photo pages to share your pictures with iWeb.
Quote:
iMovie HD 6
Turn your home video into a Hollywood-style hit and share it with others.

New Features
-Create amazing movies quickly using Apple-designed iMovie themes.
-Stunning new video effects with no waiting.
-Fantastic text effects and titling with instant results.
-Use new sound effects and audio enhancement tools such as noise reduction and graphic equalizer.
-Switch and share clips among multiple open movie projects.
-Easily share movies and video podcasts with iWeb.
Quote:
iDVD 6
Author and burn movies, photos and music to standard and widescreen DVDs.

New Features
-Use Magic iDVD to create a complete DVD that’s ready to burn.
-Author DVDs that fill your widescreen TV.
-Choose from 10 new Apple-designed themes.
-Add your videos and photos with one click using autofill drop zones.
-Reorganize even the largest projects with enhanced map view editing.
-Enjoy support for an array of third-party DVD burners.
Quote:
GarageBand 3
The best way to record music on a Mac is now the best way to record podcasts, too.

New Features
-Easily create podcasts in the new Podcast Studio mode and publish them with iWeb.
-Add radio-style sound effects and jingles to your recordings and podcasts.
-Sound like a professional radio host with the built-in expertise of an audio engineer.
-Create a talk show podcast and interview one or more remote guests simultaneously via iChat.
-Create a music score for your iMovie even if you’re not a musician.

Quote:
iWeb
-Easily create beautiful websites and blogs and get them online — fast.

Key Features
-Choose from 12 professionally designed themes and templates.
-Add photos, movies and music with the iLife Media Browser.
-Create web pages using a flexible text and graphics canvas.
-Build and update your own blog with ease.
-Produce a podcast in GarageBand and publish it with iWeb.
-Publish to .Mac with one click.
All I know is I'm getting it by Friday. I'm interested in seeing this whole .Mac~iWeb~Photocasting~Garageband Podcasting~Blog is going to work out for the 99 bucks I drop every year...

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2006-01-10 at 15:09.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 15:07

Not only is Apple taking on Google(Blogger) but they are also taking on Podcasting, Yahoo and Flickr with all the new features in iLife'06.

Pretty much makes .Mac important now..and it might even get Apple 2 million .Mac accounts by next MWSF.

ecs

2006-01-10, 15:10

Being new to Apple, I feel a bit disappointed by the upgrade policy: I believe Apple should give a bonus or a discount to users who pay for _all_ iLife updates.

It's true that iLife is very cheap, but a 20%-30% discount to owners of an iLife05 license would make much more sense than setting the same price for everybody...
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-01-10, 15:21

QUestion: Does iWeb ONLY publish to .Mac or can i export to my own website?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-10, 15:22

Well, it's all very fun and cool and hip but... myspace has already cornered the personal web-life market.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-10, 15:24

Also, GB 3 is WAY underwhelming. I really don't give a fuck about podcast authoring. I want new plugins, teh ability to change tempo mid song, more mastering tools, and a sampler built in. Basically... I want logic.

(the new jampack is sweet though, I'm getting it asap)
ecs

2006-01-10, 15:24

...in fact, I like everything about iLife06, except that there's no upgrade path from 05, and that's disappointing... If there was an upgrade, I'm almost sure I'd buy it, but this policy makes me think twice before entering the web store. A bad marketing choice, IMHO.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 15:28

Yeah but the tools suck(Read:Windows)

Hopefully this stuff means I can go through Myspace without it crashing due to some dumb windows player music video(ugh).

Jampack World is cool.

An upgrade path would be nice, but seeing that I'm not paying $199 for it, I can really live with losing $79 a year(Hell I lose $99 a year, and this new iLife makes it worth it).

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-10, 15:34

Well, the point is moot I'm sure but I'll say it again: $79 is the upgrade for people who bought a Mac since all Macs come with that year's iLife preinstalled. I know, it's not the same for those who upgrade each year and want a discount for their '05 upgrade.

I can only say that I learned a long time ago to make these decisions carefully, and knowing that iLife would be updated each year, I held off on iLife '05. One of those hard lessons.
shell

2006-01-10, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Well, the point is moot I'm sure but I'll say it again: $79 is the upgrade for people who bought a Mac since all Macs come with that year's iLife preinstalled.

Yes, for iLife, but unfortunately not for iWork. There should be a different pricing model, as it is not included standard the way iLife is.
JLL

2006-01-10, 18:16

Sometimes I wonder if people would have been satisfied if a 'full' version was $99 and the upgrade was $79.
hyperb0le

Send a message via AIM to hyperb0le  
2006-01-10, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeBoy_2000
QUestion: Does iWeb ONLY publish to .Mac or can i export to my own website?
Taken from Apple.com:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple's iWeb Publishing Page
*iWeb publishing requires Internet and webserver access (.Mac recommended). The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply.
So, yes, you can export pages generated in iWeb to any web server.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 18:47

Cool beans. So what other webservers are available?
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2006-01-10, 19:47

Most likely anything with FTP access.
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-01-10, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmazer
Most likely anything with FTP access.
Not accoording to this guy....
http://tuaw.com/2006/01/10/using-iwe...ther-than-mac/
Quote:
iWeb allows you to save your files to a local folder, or directly to .Mac. It has no built in FTP capabilities so it can't connect to a FTP server an upload files to your webserver, but you can upload the files that it saves on your computer yourself. Folder actions and some Applescript magic can do wonders, but I think Apple should have baked FTP support in the product.
Oskar

2006-01-10, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Not only is Apple taking on Google(Blogger) but they are also taking on Podcasting, Yahoo and Flickr with all the new features in iLife'06.

Pretty much makes .Mac important now..and it might even get Apple 2 million .Mac accounts by next MWSF.
Is photocasting supposed to be at all like Flickr? I'm not aware that Apple allows you to search any database of photos - I thought the new iPhoto just allows you to subscribe to albums.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-10, 21:24

Good point re: iWork, even if the $80 isn't much in the big picture.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
Is photocasting supposed to be at all like Flickr? I'm not aware that Apple allows you to search any database of photos - I thought the new iPhoto just allows you to subscribe to albums.
Flickr in a sense. No database search from webpage to webpage(yet), but the ability to put albums on the web is better then homepage, and is more in sync with the likes of Photobucket and Flickr, ect...

everyone is getting to touch it before me..

Quote:
Just finished a 20-minute tour of iWeb with a friendly Apple demo dude. Impressive product.

First, the basics. iWeb is a website creation program. It's much easier to use than FrontPage or Homesite, and its pages are much prettier and more sophisticated than the freebie website programs you get from web hosting company. And it blows away blogging software like ecto and MarsEdit.
Quote:
iWeb is tightly integrated with .Mac, Apple's web hosting service. If you're a subscriber, you can include things like RSS and photocasting support to your iWeb-created pages. iWeb also takes care of all site navigation links and menus -- a nightmare for hand-coded sites. The downside of .Mac integration is, your site will have be on the Mac.com domain. But iWeb also works if you have your own domain. You can save your entire website, save it in a folder, create an index page and upload it all to your web server. We didn't get to test this, but very likely, the result wouldn't be as dynamic and clean as publishing on .Mac.

Mikester

2006-01-11, 06:52

I'm a little confused and would appreciate some advice. I bought my iBook last Feb and so got iLife 05. Obviously I've upgraded to iTunes 6. Can I upgrade to iPhoto 6 and get iWeb without having to get the other constituent parts of iLife 06 (and pay less) or do I have to buy the whole thing for £55?

Thanks in advance.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby

Last edited by Mikester : 2006-01-11 at 07:07.
mattf

2006-01-11, 07:09

Mikester, it's all or nothing I'm afraid.

On a slightly unrelated note, £69 for the family pack is a pretty good deal compared to the £55 for a single-user licence.
wecallitfall

2006-01-11, 07:10

is iLife '06 included with all new macs as of yesterday?
gabriel_realized

Send a message via MSN to gabriel_realized Send a message via Skype™ to gabriel_realized 
2006-01-11, 07:13

Yup
Mikester

2006-01-11, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_realized
Yup
What if you bought an iMac say one month ago - can you apply to Apple for a free (or reduced) upgrade to iLife 06? (I ask this on behalf of a friend who is in this position).

Also, on my upgrade issue, presumably all updates to iPhoto will now be to version 6 so I will not get any more updates to version 5?

Guess I'd better upgrade...

foundinlife30

Send a message via AIM to foundinlife30  
2006-01-11, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
What if you bought an iMac say one month ago - can you apply to Apple for a free (or reduced) upgrade to iLife 06? (I ask this on behalf of a friend who is in this position).

Also, on my upgrade issue, presumably all updates to iPhoto will now be to version 6 so I will not get any more updates to version 5?

Guess I'd better upgrade...
I wish, but I highly doubt it. I just got a iMac/isight G5 on 12-30. Guess, I should have waited. However while I'm a little peeved that Apple updated the iMac so quickly, I'm very happy with the G5 I have. It would be nice to get a free upgrade for iLife, but thats the way technology works.
Mikester

2006-01-11, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundinlife30
I wish, but I highly doubt it. I just got a iMac/isight G5 on 12-30. Guess, I should have waited. However while I'm a little peeved that Apple updated the iMac so quickly, I'm very happy with the G5 I have. It would be nice to get a free upgrade for iLife, but thats the way technology works.
I know it's a bit far-fetched, but they did it with Tiger - you could upgrade to Tiger for £20 if you'd bought a computer shortly before the release. Thought something similar might happen here...

Mikester

2006-01-11, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs
...in fact, I like everything about iLife06, except that there's no upgrade path from 05, and that's disappointing... If there was an upgrade, I'm almost sure I'd buy it, but this policy makes me think twice before entering the web store. A bad marketing choice, IMHO.
What's an upgrade path? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)
Roland

2006-01-11, 11:38

iLife 06 looks nice, but it's becoming a bit too novice for my tastes. They're always talking about
granma looking at the pictures of my kids (which kids?) and so on.

It's nice that they're that they're that family friendly, but in my opinion they could be a little bit more edgy.

Looks like iWeb doesn't even have a codeview and you also can't use domains, which just flat out sucks.

I think Apple should start concentrating on the people who actually know how to use a computer a bit more :/
mwarner

2006-01-11, 11:47

iLife 06 is NOT included on all models shiping today. I just called to ask about the mini, and they told me nope. It looks like the same for the iBook as well. Why would Apple do this if they still want folks to switch to their OS. Anyone care to speculate when 06 will ship on these older models?
Mikester

2006-01-11, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner
iLife 06 is NOT included on all models shiping today. I just called to ask about the mini, and they told me nope. It looks like the same for the iBook as well. Why would Apple do this if they still want folks to switch to their OS. Anyone care to speculate when 06 will ship on these older models?
I just rang the Regent Street Apple Store here in London and they don't have iLife 06 in yet (they don't know when they're getting it either). I guess the answer's probably the same for the Mini and iBook. I guess they want to make the Mactel packages look that little bit better for as long as poss.

ecs

2006-01-11, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
What's an upgrade path? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)
From what I see in the iLife website, there's no upgrade pricing from 05 to 06. You buy 06, period. Moreover, when 07 is released, you won't get any benefit for being a 06 owner. You will be able to jump from 05 to 07 at the same price as if you bought 06. This is a nonsense because iLife versions are _versions_, while Apple is selling them as if each version was a completely new unrelated product.

Btw, I said iLife was cheap, but... paying that price every year can become an unreasonable amount after just a few years.