User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Does anything actually go in the ExpressCard Slot on the MacBook Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does anything actually go in the ExpressCard Slot on the MacBook Pro?
neiltc13

2006-05-12, 06:59

I watched Steve's Macworld thing again and it struck me - do any manufacturers actually produce Express Card expansion cards that are compatible with Mac OS X?

I searched for ExpressCard on the Apple Store and it turned up nothing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 07:01

Yeah, such cards are slowly but surely popping up. It's a fairly new standard, but it is sure to replace CardBus in the long run. Over at that other board™, there was a thread of someone who used a media card reader that inserted into ExpressCard/34. It's seamless; no bulge sticking out. There's also various solutions for FireWire 800 and eSATA, although those do require a bulge.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Yeah, such cards are slowly but surely popping up. It's a fairly new standard, but it is sure to replace CardBus in the long run. Over at that other board™, there was a thread of someone who used a media card reader that inserted into ExpressCard/34. It's seamless; no bulge sticking out. There's also various solutions for FireWire 800 and eSATA, although those do require a bulge.
Yeah, NewEgg.com sells an ExpressCard media card reader that reads something like 11 different formats, and it's only $35. Not bad for a card that uses a brand new standard and doesn't stick out at all. There are other card readers as well, but they stick out like a sore thumb.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 09:37

Note that ExpressCard/34 isn't wide enough for CompactFlash, so if you use CompactFlash media, you'll have to go with a stick-out solution. ExpressCard/54 would work, but the MacBook Pro does not have that.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 09:52

how does it not stick out and read CF cards? i thought CF cards were wider than the 34mm slot?

(assumes this 11-in-1 read reads CF cards)
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 09:53

how about making a CF card adapter for your camera.... i.e. an adapter the shape of a CF card that allows you to plug in other cards into it.... i.e. you can use smaller cards in you EOS 20D