User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

imac versus macbook (pro)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
imac versus macbook (pro)
elvismac

2006-06-27, 19:06

I'm wondering if there's any advice for those grappling with the question of macbook (pro) versus imac? I currently have a notebook, but have virtually never taken it off my desk. This has essentially reduced me to a computer wih a smaller slower HD, smaller dimmer screen, noiser fan and less input options. I think a 20" imac would be a great computer, 3.5" upgradeable HD, plenty of power, fantastic screen, inputs and a very neat and tidy package overal due to the AIO design. However, the potential for portability of a macbook pro is very very alluring, although there's no way I could continue to use a notebook's screen as my primary monitor. This difficult decision is further complicated by Australia's tax code that allows me to purchase a notebook computer for in my case less than half price, making it cheaper than the imac.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I feel almost paralised by the struggle between the bigger nicer imac and the portable macbook or macbook pro.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-06-27, 19:16

Get a external 20" widescreen LCD to hook up to the MacBook Pro when it's on your desk. See how the price comparison works after you factor that in.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-27, 19:18

I don't think that there is a difference in "input options" between the iMac and the MBP. Also, the harddisk is upgradeable in theory, but it's fairly difficult, and voids your warranty if you do it yourself.

The main points are portability (obviously) and screen size. The 20" screen of the iMac is great, I absolutely love it. IMHO, you can never have enough screen space. So if you want to spend the money, I would suggest going with the iMac.
elvismac

2006-06-28, 09:57

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was in an Apple Centre today and had a play with the imac and macbook pro again, and still cannot make up my mind. The macbook pro and 20" ACD will end up leaving me a similar amount out of pocket to the 20" imac.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-28, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvismac
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was in an Apple Centre today and had a play with the imac and macbook pro again, and still cannot make up my mind. The macbook pro and 20" ACD will end up leaving me a similar amount out of pocket to the 20" imac.
You may have misunderstood MCQ when he suggested purchasing a 20" widescreen display. He never mentioned an Apple display, just a 20" widescreen display. If you buy an Apple display, you're a tool. Take a look at Dell displays, same quality, half the price. Shop around, don't buy an Apple display unless you're really into all your crap looking the same and you have the money to blow.

Come waste your time with me
JayReding

2006-06-28, 11:48

If there's no cost difference, then it probably doesn't matter. The iMac is upgradable in theory, but the chances that you'll actually do so are pretty slim - and storage is cheap enough that throwing an external drive in isn't really all that much more expensive than an internal one.

If you factor in a cheaper display (Dells and ACDs use the same LG display), you're probably better off with the MacBook Pro if the tax difference is that much. You can always add more storage with an external drive if you need more disk space later on.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-06-28, 18:50

What they said. That was all implied in my statement of course!