Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

4th apple store in my area is coming.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
4th apple store in my area is coming.
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-19, 20:34

I thought Montgomery Mall was unbelievable. You heard me right a 4th apple store is coming to my area in Bethesda Row. It has been confirmed by job listings at ifoapplestore. Why is apple sending me more apple stores? I have Tysons, Montgomery Mall, and Towson. Soon, Bethesda Row.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

giggity
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-19, 20:43

Stupid. There are still a lot of people who have to drive over a hundred miles to get to one, and yet they put more within just a few miles of each other?

I thought it was funny that they put one in the Mall Of America and another in a different mall in the same area of the Twin Cities (south metro). Why put two in the south metro? They've finally put one farther north in Rosedale, but it took 'em long enough. They would have been better off going with one in the south metro, one in the north metro, and another in Duluth.
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-19, 21:02

I wasn't trying to make fun of the people who have to drive that far. I am just surprised apple is seeing my area as a big interest. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my excited post.

giggity
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-19, 21:06

Anyone offended by your original post needs to have their head examined.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-19, 21:17

Yeah, you must have misunderstood me. I didn't say you were stupid, I was saying Apple was dumb for putting so many stores in one place when they could have put one in, say, Oklahoma. I know someone there, and there's not a single Apple store in the entire state. It's not heavily populated but for the people who do live there, there's no option other than CompUSSR.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-19, 21:24

Doesn't the L.A. area now have about 44 Apple Stores?

They have one each in Glendale and Pasadena, which, as anyone familiar with the area knows, are directly next to one another. But I guess they do their research and determine one is needed.

Still can't believe there isn't one in Nashville...

I truly expected a Nashville store within the first two years, considering its high concentration of musicians, writers, artists, two major league sports franchises, marketing/PR professional supporting the music and sports industries, publishing, large universities, upscale population, plenty of creative and well-to-do types, etc.

SoCal will probably get 8-10 more in 2005, and Nashville none. Anyone who's lived there or familiar with the area knows damn well how successful and hoppin' one there would be.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 21:54

I'd really like to be a fly on the wall in an Apple retail strategy meeting, because I really don't understand their methods. There are many major cities that could sorely use an Apple store, rather than the umpteenth store in southern California.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-19, 22:33

Yeah. Me too. I'm sure they've got research and numbers to justify and explain it all, but it sure seems weird, doesn't it? Do ALL of those SoCal stores stay that busy and steady?

I just can't quite grasp the Glendale/Pasadena thing. They're directly next door to one another! They literally blend into one another, with no other community between them.

In fact, according to mapquest.com, it's exactly 7.55 miles from the Glendale store to the Pasadena store (they're both on Colorado Blvd. even, one - Pasadena - slightly more east of the other).

The Newport Beach and Costa Mesa stores, south of L.A. in Orange County, are 6.92 miles apart.

I think Apple might be taking the Subway sandwich approach, when it comes to SoCal...one on every corner, more or less?

sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 22:48

...or Starbucks in the NW. There's multiple places in Portland and Seattle where a store is across from another in an intersection. It's quite insane.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-09-20, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
They [i.e. Apple] would have been better off going with [a store] in the south metro, one in the north metro, and another in Duluth.
Rochester may be another worthy candidate.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-20, 00:52

My directions were off. Well, kinda. I was thinking Southdale was farther south than the Mall Of America, but it's actually just west of it. Farther from where I live, at least.

However, the Mall Of America store is less than 7 miles from the Southdale store. So in Minnesota, until a third store opened a couple months ago, the only two Apple stores in the entire state were 7 miles apart.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-09-20, 01:09

Goddamit!

When in the hell will we see a Canadian Apple store? This is bull!

Hey, APPLE!!! Toronto is ready for you! ! !

fuck.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-09-20, 01:57

Bethesda has one of the highest income per household ratings in the nation. that's why.

As for SoCal.... a lot of stores, but in SoCal there are a lot of shopping hotspots. That's what people do there. Yea, sunny california, beaches, sun, hollywood, yet everyone seems to shop nonstop. Different markets in an overall huge market.

Apple isn't stupid. They don't open a store unless it will make a profit. For places that still lack an Apple store, I'm sure one will come eventually. Apple is extremely picky with their locations..... they could very well be waiting out a lease for a property or still searching for one. Their goal isn't to screw middle america and the smaller populated cities, but to create high profile money making locations. When that is possible, a store will open. In SoCal that's possible at a lot of locations. Elsewhere sometimes it's possible within a few miles. I think this is also why these new ministores are coming. Rich areas often have several shopping areas and with smaller stores, Apple can tap each part.

The most important thing they could do right now is start going after college campuses and putting ministores on campus or right near campus. It seems like they may start doing this but I have heard nothing of a Berkeley store, although they could takeover the recently vacated Eddie Bauer or Gatewat Country.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-20, 03:26

"Gatewat Country" is right! A little bit closer to campus would be ideal, like around Center Street near the Bank of America. It would put the Mac Everything Store out of business though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-20, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
...or Gatewat Country.
That couldn't have been a planned slip, could it?
EDS66

2004-09-20, 14:14

Damn...I just bought a house in Gaithersburg. So I will now have four stores within 30 minutes of me. Nice for me.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-09-20, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I have Tysons, Montgomery Mall, and Towson. Soon, Bethesda Row.
You forgot the one in the Clarendon shopping district in Arlington, VA. It's in that zone between Ballston and Ft. Myer/Arlington Cemetery.

I'm surrounded!
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2004-09-21, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrein
...or Starbucks in the NW. There's multiple places in Portland and Seattle where a store is across from another in an intersection. It's quite insane.
I don't get it either. I can see how Starbucks might do this since coffee shops easily get swamped many times during the course of a day.
But how often does this happen at an Apple Store? Would they not be better off just hiring more sales staff at one store?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-09-21, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
I don't get it either. I can see how Starbucks might do this since coffee shops easily get swamped many times during the course of a day.
But how often does this happen at an Apple Store? Would they not be better off just hiring more sales staff at one store?
Believe it or not, at the stores around DC, they've been pretty busy during the times I've stopped by. Enough people here have enough interest in Apple products to support this many stores.

Starbucks is a little different, because people go in, get their foamed coffee, and leave. People going to an Apple store often spend 90-plus percent of their time browsing, and a good portion of that is asking questions. It doesn't take a lot of customers to fully occupy the already-sizable sales staff.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-09-22, 13:06

I live in Glendale, and it's not quite as simple as the Glendale and Pasadena stores being only 7 miles away - The Pasadena store is right on the main drag in Old Town Pasadena, right next to all the primo stores like Gap and such. Apple would have been crazy NOT to put one there with the amount of cash spending that goes on there. It's one of the hottest 'hanging out, shopping, eating, bar hopping" spots in the entire LA area.

The Glendale store is either the first or second Apple store, and it's inside the Gledale Galleria mall, so it's pretty much an entirely different shopping experience compared to Pasadena. Both places generate a lot of traffic, and it's probably entirely different traffic despite the proximity of the two stores. Also, there's a mountain inbetween Pasadena and Glendale.
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-22, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
The Glendale store is either the first or second Apple store, and it's inside the Gledale Galleria mall, so it's pretty much an entirely different shopping experience compared to Pasadena. Both places generate a lot of traffic, and it's probably entirely different traffic despite the proximity of the two stores. Also, there's a mountain inbetween Pasadena and Glendale.
Glendale and Tysons opened the same day. But, Tysons opened first do to its on the east coast. Tysons is also mobbed with teens, and young adults. at night. During the day they are a mix of ages.

giggity
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-09-27, 12:03

Apple needs to open an Apple store up in Catonsville. I seriously need a place to hang out Saturday night, cuz the UMBC campus is dead. Come on Apple, Arundel Mills is calling out for an Apple store!

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-27, 20:36

If you wanna hang out at an Apple Store on Saturday nights, you seriously need more than a hangout
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-17, 14:46

Sorry, for digging this thread up. I thought I would give you an update of the 4th store. It has been announced that it will be one of those mini apple stores with a grand opening of December 12, 2004.

giggity