User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

file sharing between 10.4 and 8.5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
file sharing between 10.4 and 8.5
section8joe

2006-05-21, 20:43

im trying to share some files between my two computers one is running 10.4 and the other 8.5. whenever i try to connect i get an error message saying something about them not being compatible(AFP). Is there anyway i can share files between the two computers?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-05-22, 00:17

You could turn on FTP access on the 10.4 machine if there are just a couple of files you need to grab. Other than that, there's a way but I can't remember it right now. I'll have to put OS 8.5 on my old mac tomorrow and play with it. If I have time.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-22, 02:22

You could also install DAVE (shareware) on the 8.5 machine. As of Tiger, AppleTalk with AppleShare (AFP) is no longer supported.
RacerX

2006-05-22, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8joe
im trying to share some files between my two computers one is running 10.4 and the other 8.5.
Before addressing the file sharing issue... why are you using Mac OS 8.5? I hope that at the very least you are using 8.5.1. But almost any system that can run 8.5 can run 8.6 (which also needs this patch).

I have four systems running Mac OS 8.6 (PowerMac 8100, PowerBook 3400c, PowerBook Duo 2300c and Blue Box in my PowerMac 8600) and they are all great systems. At 8.6 you can run almost any Carbon apps that would run on the older Mac OS.

Quote:
Is there anyway i can share files between the two computers?
Yes... Shareway IP. Apple bundled a lite version of this with Mac OS 9 and the full version was required back in the days of the Mac OS X Developer Previews, Public Beta and 10.0.x releases (though it was a lot more expensive back then).
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-05-22, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
Yes... Shareway IP. Apple bundled a lite version of this with Mac OS 9 and the full version was required back in the days of the Mac OS X Developer Previews, Public Beta and 10.0.x releases (though it was a lot more expensive back then).
That's what I was thinking of.
Zengara

2007-03-15, 18:12

yeah i am completely clueless about how to transfer files between to macs ... help a brotha out ppl