User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Show of hands...who's truly getting iPhone this Friday (weekend)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Come next Monday, July 2, will you be the owner of an Apple iPhone?
Yes 25 17.61%
No 117 82.39%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Show of hands...who's truly getting iPhone this Friday (weekend)?
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-24, 13:56

A "yes/no" poll to come, as soon as I figure out how to do it...

Carol, I know you know how...

Just wanting to get a somewhat accurate and official tally of how many of my fellow 'Nova buds are laying their money down this coming Friday (Saturday and Sunday count too, but nothing past that).

The official poll question is: Come next Monday, July 2, will you be the owner of an Apple iPhone?

Holy cow, I did the poll right!

I've got the poll set to run until next Monday (allowing any stragglers to chime in, whichever way they decided to go over the weekend). By next Monday afternoon or evening, we'll have a nice little snapshot of who has one here, and how many.

Click "yes" only if you're dead-balls sure. If you're on the fence in any way, just wait until Sunday evening to choose and answer.
bender0069

2007-06-24, 14:01

I'm so back and forth on this. Part of me wants to badly and part of me wants to wait until 5/2008 when I'm due for an upgrade in hopes of 3G or bigger memory or lower price. I hate being on the fence. Still undecided here!
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-06-24, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Carol, I know you know how...

We know she knows how... I'm just not sure if the poll would have been put up in time if she did it.

Undecided, will make my decision next weekend.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-24, 14:12

I'm on the fence as well, but I just know, realistically, this coming weekend isn't the best time for me, logistically and so forth. I do see myself having one before the end of summer, I think. I certainly want one, but I'm waiting to hear from people like torifile (who chose "yes"), and their "real world" reviews and opinions.

I'd just feel better holding off a few weeks (or months).

I'm looking forward to hearing "real people" (not Apple employees or professional reviewers who might be on the take) talk about this thing, and their real, day-to-day experiences with it. That'll go a long way toward decided a lot of things for me.

Ha...poll is currently 8-to-1 in the "no" favor. The sole "yes" is the patient, analytical torifile. I find that a little funny. I wouldn't have expected that.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-06-24, 14:14

Firstly: No because I'm not in the US
Secondly: Even if I were there, I wouldn't buy one. They're cool and all, but I prefer discrete devices that do their own job better. I have a decent digital camera, an iPod and a mobile phone that I use just for calls and texts only. I wouldn't pay several hundred dollars for a phone whether it was made by Apple or not.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-24, 14:17

I really want one, but now isn't the time for me to get one. I was going to look at passing off some of my gadgets that are just laying around, but I'm not going to put the effort into it right now. I'll catch the second wave.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-24, 14:23

This sounds stupid for me to say, but you know what I'm most excited about? I've never had a cell phone camera.

I'm constantly wishing "ooh, I need to snap a shot of this! Nobody will believe it!" ( don't ask ), but I can't because my cheap little phone doesn't have one.

And I'm going to go around and take pictures of everyone in my address book and assign their face (or whatever) to their name like that video shows.

I see so many funny, quirky or "hey!" things in the course of a day. I need to be ready to capture them when the mood hits.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-24, 14:25

I'll be getting one. I got out of my verizon contract on a technicality, and i'm treating myself to an iPhone with my new job's pretty awesome salary ..... I just graduated this past May, it's nice to have money for once.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-06-24, 14:41

On the fence. I would buy one for a premium without a doubt if it had HSDPA support.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-24, 15:00

*shakes his money tree*

erm, maybe next year...

sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-06-24, 15:04

I'm getting one and my wife is too.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-06-24, 15:06

Well, July 2 is my b'day...

hmm...

My 21st as well, so 21 iPhones!!

Last edited by sirnick4 : 2007-06-24 at 15:44.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-24, 15:11

I just watched part of that "guided tour" video again. Might need to consider changing my answer...

j/k. Gonna be hard, though, watching and hearing others doing this and not be in on the fun.

Oh, and guess what I just learned? My little neighborhood sports pub (about a mile-and-a-half from my house) has free Wi-Fi. One of the co-owners told me the other day. He had his PC laptop out at a table and I just thought he was doing work in Word or Excel, but I kept seeing web pages come up and asked him.

Do you realize my ultimate fantasy of a) being at a place with a 48" TV on the wall and cold beer AND b) still able to get e-mail or check movie start times is *this close* to being reality.

So that's home, three friend's house, Panera (love their tuna sandwich), two local cafes, much of the UTC campus, the downtown river park and my little weeknight/weekend hangout all have free Wi-Fi, making the iPhone a little more useful and attractive to an e-mail obsessed dork such as myself.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-06-24, 15:15

By the very strict conditions of the poll, no, I won't. Mainly because I live in the UK right now, and will soon live in Canada. However:

The day Rogers release one, I'm probably getting one (barring a full round of terrible reviews by US users). It's my Birthday on July 30th, and I have a little envelope (made by a friend of mine, out of a printout of an iPhone pic) that contains nearly enough cash for one right now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-06-24, 15:38

Yes. I"m buying 3. I'll be camping outside the Apple Store. Starting on the evening of the 28th. Better safe than sorry.

Hooray for fanboyism!
TednDi

2007-06-24, 16:23

If I can get one.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-24, 16:26

I'm leaning toward 'yes' but it's hard to answer without knowing the rate plans. If the plans are in line with AT&T's existing plans, then I'm a 'yes' for sure. But if they charge double or triple the current $20 to $40 plans, then I'm a 'no' for now.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-06-24, 16:46

Definitely.
There's an AT&T store right across the street from where I live.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-06-24, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I'm leaning toward 'yes' but it's hard to answer without knowing the rate plans. If the plans are in line with AT&T's existing plans, then I'm a 'yes' for sure. But if they charge double or triple the current $20 to $40 plans, then I'm a 'no' for now.
I'm with you on this. I still need a little more info. Soon, all of that will be answered.

I don't know if my credit card can take the beating though

Deal with it.
Mr Ten

2007-06-24, 17:10

yes, no matter what, unless something ridiculous happens...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-24, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Yes. I"m buying 3.
Are you really buying three? For whom?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-24, 17:21

Not for quite a while. I want one bad, but I'm happy in my Verizon contract, and it currently costs too much.

When they start selling them unlocked and at at least a slightly lower price, I'll bite.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-06-24, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
When they start selling them unlocked and at at least a slightly lower price, I'll bite.
I was thinking the same thing.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-06-24, 17:32

I'm thinking, probably not for a while.

1. I have an 80 GB iPod video

2. I have a MacBook for email and web with WiFi is available

3. I currently have a Verizon phone (way better reception and coverage that the AT&T I used to have) that syncs with my Address Book and iCal via Bluetooth.

4. I have at least a couple clients who will be getting one the first week, so my lust for hands-on geeking will be somewhat satisfied.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-24, 18:19

I'll be traveling the 29th but I have several plans to enact to get one.

1. i finish orientation at about 5 so I'll head over to a cingular store and hope to god nobody in charlottesville wants one...

2. Order it online (if the shipping date is under a week)

3. I know someone who's camping out in houston so if I can't get one I'll call them and ask them to get one for me (an hour behind east coast...)

if all three fail, I'll just order online and wait it out. So technically I will have one that monday, but it might not be in my hands... I'll at least have paid for one.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-06-24, 18:26

No, because I'm not in the US. But no otherwise too. I don't have any enthusiasm about it. I would welcome an iPod/phone/mediocre camera/web browser combination, no problem. But for what I see right now I'd pay more like 300EUR, and that's without a contract. 3G, a free non-sandboxed SDK.. it'd get a lot more lustworthy then.

Anyone know if the iPhone is supposed to have call recording? My years-old Ericsson T68 has it but a very poor implementation. A good implementation would have a setting to automatically record all calls into a standard sound format, and to sync those recordings onto computer. You can often talk but are not in a good position to take notes. A recording feature would handle all those situations very gracefully without distracting you during the call. That would actually make the thing a better telephone.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-24, 18:33

I voted "yes" but I can't camp out (nor do I want to in this heat). I plan on getting to the store by about 3 or so and seeing if I have any chance of getting one. If not, I'll try again later (or go to a corporate store).
Electric Monk

2007-06-24, 18:42

I live in Canada…

It depends though. I'm not willing to lay out $600+ for an iPhone without being able to ditch my PowerBook at least a good chunk of the time. So I really do need third party apps with SDK access if I'm going to spend that much money on something. I figure by the time 3G/GPS Revision B iPhone comes out some form of SDK will exist and I'll be set. Oh, and perhaps the horrible Canadian telecom market will open up a little[1] and Rogers will have a reasonably priced flat rate data plan.

If not? Well then looks like I'm out of luck until they get cheaper.

[1] Or get worse. Telus is trying to buy BCE for crying out loud—reducing the market to Rogers and Telus—and thus make one of the developed world's most overpriced telecom markets even more craptastic.
Dave Hagan

2007-06-24, 19:11

I would like an iPhone, but like Pscates, I am waiting for some reports from real users. I would love nothing more to buy along with a newly redesigned iMac! Maybe by August?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-06-24, 19:13

Just like every Rev. A product from Apple I'll be avoiding this one. The Rev. B should be the first one I'd consider.