Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-28, 10:06

yeah...f the new bike...i think i know where i will be on friday at 6

shit...the wife and daughter are gonna kill me....*

g

*(the wife because she thinks i buy too many toys for myself...and because i kept telling her that i didn't want a new phone. my daughter because she thinks every dollar i make should be going to her college fund.)

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-28, 10:59

You deserve to be beaten with a nerf bat. Seriously, do you have a real business need for that iPhone? If you don't, better to at least get the bike because it promotes good health and is fun. Better still, go for that college fund and wait for iPhone 2, available hopefully with multiple service and has upgrade capabilities. You're going to be pissed when you want to use your $500 phone with a new wireless data service or provider, but can't.

...into the light of a dark black night.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-06-28, 11:19

While moogs said get the bike, I say let your daughter go into debt and spend her college fund on an iphone and the bike.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 11:28

Quote:
You deserve to be beaten with a nerf bat.
tis true....

part of the problem is i don't need anything...

my bike, though older and heavy, is in perfect condition and gets me to work fine (and i get a bit of a better work out peddling that mountain bike over a road bike). but a new bike would be nice.

my phone works well and is fine. but a new phone that is also basically a macbook lite would be nice.

i love my stella scooter....but i've been thinking of getting a second, larger scooter for highway use.

i haven't had a car now for two years. now, with my youngest heading out of state and taking her car (which i would borrow once or twice a month to run errands), i am eying up the new mini cooper s.

so i am torn...probably shouldn't buy all those things with my kid going out of state (ouch) and since i don't want the misses to kill me in my sleep.

but i could slip a couple of those things under the radar...

the car would likely be the most useful...but i like thinking of myself as carless...and it is the most expensive (near 30 grand when i add all the options i like)

the second scooter would be a no brainer if Gilera brought the fuoco to the states. as it is i am waiting on a 500cc MP3.

the bike? well i will ride by my bike shop once a week to see if they have any sales that i can't resist...

the phone...a toughie...probably should wait. i actually might wait. if i knew V2 was this year i would wait. if i knew V2 was next summer, i might not wait.

on a side note....does anybody know what i can do with a 1 year old razr phone that works and looks great? can i give it to my wife? it is a verzion razr and she is a verzion customer.

thanks

g

putting on bike helmet to withstand the nerfbat blows

thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
While moogs said get the bike, I say let your daughter go into debt and spend her college fund on an iphone and the bike.
that is my thoughts exactly....sadly she doesn't see my point of view on this...

g

as a funny aside...she does think she is going into debt...she plans to take out 5000 a year in loans...of which we said we will split the payments when she is out of school...so 4 years at 5 grand is 20 grand, divide by 2 is 10 grand for her debt. but her out of state costs are close to 30 grand a year. she got an academic scholarship of 10 grand a year....so basically 80 grand for four years, minus her 10 grand leaves 70 grand for us...yet if i buy a new car or scooter she will give me the "we have to save money" lecture.....

kids today

thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 12:54

anybody with knowledge of verizon...my wife has an older verizon phone that she was going to replace soon...can i give her my verizon phone and she then can get it reprogramed to her number?

maybe then she won't get too bothered by my getting an iPhone

g

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-06-28, 13:03

Does Verizon uses SIM cards like Cingular/AT&T does? if so, since it's the same carrier and their phone, you can simply swap SIM cards. doesn't usually work across carriers, but intra-carrier, I think it will. It's a simple thing to try, and if I'm wrong, no real loss.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-28, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
that is my thoughts exactly....sadly she doesn't see my point of view on this...

g

as a funny aside...she does think she is going into debt...she plans to take out 5000 a year in loans...of which we said we will split the payments when she is out of school...so 4 years at 5 grand is 20 grand, divide by 2 is 10 grand for her debt. but her out of state costs are close to 30 grand a year. she got an academic scholarship of 10 grand a year....so basically 80 grand for four years, minus her 10 grand leaves 70 grand for us...yet if i buy a new car or scooter she will give me the "we have to save money" lecture.....

kids today
Pfft!! She worries so much about saving money yet she's going out of state for college? Hell, she deserves the Nerf bat!

(I hear trade schools are much better than they were 20 years ago)

Actually, I am trying to work out how to leave the country for grad school, since Sweden seems to be a lovely place to go. I think I might need to be umpiring more to afford that...

But wait! Education in Europe is generally free! Maybe there still is hope.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-28, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Just thought I'd chime in that this is the first time I've seen the *entire* apple front page, dedicated to one product. Every little sub-section thingy is about the iPhone, all the news is about the iPhone...
I know! You'd think it's this big, hyped deal or something, huh? When is it going to come out, I can't find any info on that?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-28, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Does Verizon uses SIM cards like Cingular/AT&T does? if so, since it's the same carrier and their phone, you can simply swap SIM cards. doesn't usually work across carriers, but intra-carrier, I think it will. It's a simple thing to try, and if I'm wrong, no real loss.
Verizon doesn't use SIM cards but you can change the number of the phone. It's not nearly as easy as swapping SIM cards, but one phone call to Verizon should do the trick.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-28, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Verizon doesn't use SIM cards but you can change the number of the phone. It's not nearly as easy as swapping SIM cards, but one phone call to Verizon should do the trick.
You still can't use a GSM phone on a CDMA network, though. There's a lot more involved than just SIM cards.

You absolutely cannot use a GSM phone with Verizon (or Sprint, for that matter). They're two different types of networks, with two different types of technology. Apple would have to re-engineer the phone to work with CDMA.

Even if Vodafone gets the iPhone in Europe, that doesn't mean we'll be able to use Vodafone's iPhones with Verizon.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-28, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
You still can't use a GSM phone on a CDMA network, though. There's a lot more involved than just SIM cards.

You absolutely cannot use a GSM phone with Verizon (or Sprint, for that matter). They're two different types of networks, with two different types of technology. Apple would have to re-engineer the phone to work with CDMA.

Even if Vodafone gets the iPhone in Europe, that doesn't mean we'll be able to use Vodafone's iPhones with Verizon.
Yeah. I meant that g's wife could use his old Verizon phone on Verizon. Mixing networks with CDMA (using a Sprint phone on Verizon or Alltel) is nearly impossible and using a GSM phone on a CDMA network *is* impossible (unless you've got one of those rare GSM/CDMA phones).
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-28, 19:17

Here you go... I took my camera to work today and swung by the N. Michigan Ave Apple Store on my way home. Five people were already in line by 6:30PM.

It was funny hearing multiple people walk past talking on their cell phones: "Omigosh, people are already waiting in line for the iPhone!" - they all knew what was up.

Number 1 said that he started at 2:30 this afternoon. The store was absolutely packed... moreso than usual. I think I'll swing by again at 6PM tomorrow just to see (and photograph) the mayhem.

Last edited by Majost : 2007-06-28 at 19:32.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-28, 19:25

Is the store providing them with chairs, or what?
Majost

2007-06-28, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Is the store providing them with chairs, or what?
No, it's most certainly BYOC.

Can you think of a better outdoor portable chair?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-28, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
No, it's most certainly BYOC.

Can you think of a better outdoor portable chair?
Well, but it looks like they all have the *same* kind of chair.

Is that likely?

Unless they're all from the same family.

But is 'that' likely?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-28, 19:45

Quote:

Is that likely?

But is 'that' likely?

They look like those $12.99 chairs you get at Target. I've got 2 in the trunk of my car.
Majost

2007-06-28, 20:12

Quote:

Is that likely?

But is 'that' likely?

I think the middle three are at least friends... or were fast becoming them. The first and last guys weren't really associating with them, though.

But, yeah, they are those cheap-o outdoor folding chairs. They weren't all the same... but the same design. Are they not as much of a phenomenon out your way, Windy? They're *everywhere* here. You can't go to an outdoor event without seeing a great many.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-28, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I think the middle three are at least friends... or were fast becoming them. The first and last guys weren't really associating with them, though.

But, yeah, they are those cheap-o outdoor folding chairs. They weren't all the same... but the same design. Are they not as much of a phenomenon out your way, Windy? They're *everywhere* here. You can't go to an outdoor event without seeing a great many.
Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Events (sports, concerts) where I am are mostly indoors, with massive amounts of air-conditioning, and the seats are provided.

OR... there are the outdoor concerts where you throw a blanket on the grass, and no portable seats are allowed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-28, 22:24

Quote:
anybody with knowledge of verizon...my wife has an older verizon phone that she was going to replace soon...can i give her my verizon phone and she then can get it reprogramed to her number?

maybe then she won't get too bothered by my getting an iPhone

g
After your phone is no longer active you can transfer it to your wife. You can actually do it through Verizon's website too. While not as easy as swapping SIM cards, it's as easy as punching in a phones ID into a website.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 22:33

eh, she tells me she doesn't like my phone anyways...she like lg phones

what is all this about amazon....if i order a blackberry phone and activate an ATT account, i can then sell the blackberry and activate the iPhone on that account?? (phone is free with 2 year account...so selling it would cut the cost of the iPhone down greatly)

too bad i have no experience with selling on ebay

g

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-28, 22:35

Don't do it with a blackberry! You've got to activate a data plan which will be cancelled when you get the iPhone and put you in violation of amazon's terms - meaning a $250 charge. Do it with a standard phone. I got the w810i for $.01 and $175 in rebates and I should be in good shape WRT amazon's terms.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 22:41

what do you plan to do with the w810i?

g
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 22:48

(3) not transfer this equipment to another AT&T line of service;

is selling the phone forbidden?

g
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-28, 22:50

Quote:
(3) not transfer this equipment to another AT&T line of service;

is selling the phone forbidden?

g
I don't know about that one. I believe it'd be impossible for them to know if ownership has been "transfered" or if it's just a different SIM card in there. I'm willing to risk that one because I don't think they can reasonably track it.

For the plan, I got the $59.99 plan because I'm planning on getting the $80 iPhone plan. Make sure that whatever plan you sign up with, your iPhone plan is more expensive.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-28, 22:52

Quote:
Don't do it with a blackberry! You've got to activate a data plan which will be cancelled when you get the iPhone and put you in violation of amazon's terms - meaning a $250 charge. Do it with a standard phone. I got the w810i for $.01 and $175 in rebates and I should be in good shape WRT amazon's terms.
What did you do, just add the text messaging plan, which can then be replaced with the iPhone data plan? (My understanding is that all Amazon activations require either a data plan or a txt msg plan.)

As for the w810i, what do you expect to get for it resale? Can you just leave it in the box and sell it, or do you need to get some unlock code for the buyer, etc.?

I've been with Verizon for over a decade so I'm not real savvy on the whole upgrade game. I just know that I'd like to recoup part of the $600 iPhone cost if at all possible. Thanks.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-28, 22:54

yeah, was thinking of doing the 39.99 plan and then adding the 20 update for the iPhone...

if i get the phone from amazon, and then an iphone tomorrow, can i keep my current number?

still not sure what i would do with the samsung phone

g

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-28, 22:54

Quote:
(My understanding is that all Amazon activations require either a data plan or a txt msg plan.)
Not true. I got nothing but the voice plan. I hate to pimp my blog, but I posted an article on there if you want to consolidate info. My quickly written article.

Quote:
As for the w810i, what do you expect to get for it resale? Can you just leave it in the box and sell it, or do you need to get some unlock code for the buyer, etc.?
I'm hoping to get $150 for it. I don't want to mess with unlocking it so i'm going to leave it as is.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-28, 22:57

Quote:
For the plan, I got the $59.99 plan because I'm planning on getting the $80 iPhone plan. Make sure that whatever plan you sign up with, your iPhone plan is more expensive.
Does this apply to the total cost of AT&T service or each individual component of the plan (data plan, minutes, etc.)?

Some people say it's the former and other people say it's the latter. It's obviously the $250 question when going the Amazon route.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-28, 22:58

One other question: How does the credit check work if buying from Amazon? I assume a person has to get approved for AT&T service before the sale is complete, but the site didn't say much about the process. Thanks.