User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Family Sharing Data--what's the best way?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Family Sharing Data--what's the best way?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-01-01, 17:11

Our family (6 users) now use 5 different Apple computers. I am trying to figure a better way to organize our data.

Right now the kids and my wife mostly use the iMac in our kitchen for storing all their music (and purchased music.) Problem is that the iMac is about full since each user has about 40-60 GBs of music and videos. much of these duplicative.

In addition, on my Quad I have most of the family photos but my wife has downloaded some on the iMac.

So, what's the best way to organize and share everything. I can use my Quad as the "main" computer and store everything there and then share the libraries--will that work?

If so, how do I move the current iTunes libraries from each user from the iMac over to the shared library while preserving playlists, etc.? (I assume purchased music would stay in each user's account?)

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!